You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Re-buy strategy question. Chip leader at the break, do I add-on or not?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I'm open-minded about rebuy tournaments, I usually avoid them, but I decided to have a proper go at a £50 guaranteed (£3 + 30p) rebuy tourney this afternoon and used the recommended tactic of taking a re-buy immediately.

Only 2 of us (both sat at the same table) from the 16 starters took the re-buy straight away. It was a useful luxury having twice as many chips as most of the others and it seemed to pay dividends, by the break there only 5 runners left with 3 spots to be paid, the 2 of us who started with the deep stacks were in first and second places without either of us needing to re-buy again. By then the rest of the field bought back in 10 times between them when they busted out.

At the break these were the stack sizes before add-ons;

1. GaryQQQ  26,190
2. player A    15,370
3. player B     7,950
4. player C     3,090
5. player D     2,400

All four of my opponents took the add-on of 3,000 chips. The prizes were as follows; 1st £49.50, 2nd £29.70, 3rd £19.80. Blinds after the break would be 1600/800.

My question is this; Should I have taken the add-on too, increasing my spend from £6.60 to £9.90 for an extra 1.67BB? Or is there more value as chip leader ignoring the add-on and going for the win with the 26K I already had?

Comments