You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

turn 2 pair then get shoved on!

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Villain had been steady up to this hand.

Ok it's possible he had a straight here but surely you wouldnt shove with it?

So call or fold here?????

I CALLED.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
donkeyplop Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £7.70
XXX
Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £7.76
  Your hole cards
  • A

kris1980 Fold        
maz69 Fold        
sclaffer1 Fold        
buzzram03 Fold        
donkeyplop Raise   £0.20 £0.32 £7.50
XXX
Call   £0.16 £0.48 £7.60
Flop

• J

donkeyplop Bet   £0.24 £0.72 £7.26
XXX
Call   £0.24 £0.96 £7.36
Turn

• A

donkeyplop Bet   £0.72 £1.68 £6.54
XXX
All-in   £7.36 £9.04 £0.00
donkeyplop ???

Comments

• edited November 2010
    No comment for obvious reasons,xxx
  • edited November 2010
    Hmm, bit of a weird one this and I've never personally understood why people shove in this spot. All it achieves is bad things:

1) If the player has the nuts they have got his opponent to put in about as little as possible. Minimizing profit.
    2) If the player is bluffing they get no more money out of an opponent who holds a weak hands and gets called by hands that leave them drawing incredibly thin/dead. Maximising losses.

Seeing you're trying to maximise profits and minimise losses, I think something has gone wrong.

As for the hand, I would call and make notes on what they show me. Yes I might be giving away money in this instance, but hopefully getting a line on what they're doing here will be worth more than £7 in the long run.

Edit: OK, 'all it achieves is bad things' is not quite right. Sure you can get some people to stack off with medium-strong hands when you have the nuts, but that's quite player/situation specific and not something I believe is true on the whole.
  • edited November 2010
    Cheers dave!

I was thinking the same here, why would you shove with the nut straight?

I put him on an ak type hand here.
  • edited November 2010

You can not have any reads on the player as he hasnt acted first raised or pretty much done anything. I would put him on lowest hand 2 pair himself but more than likely a set of 4's and prob lay it down. (Based on ur pre hand reads)
    what happened DP

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: turn 2 pair then get shoved on!:
    You can not have any reads on the player as he hasnt acted first raised or pretty much done anything. I would put him on lowest hand 2 pair himself but more than likely a set of 4's and prob lay it down. (Based on ur pre hand reads) what happened DP
    Posted by Batkin88
    I don't understand this bit?

I had been playing him for over 30 mins so had worked out he wasnt a nutter as he hadnt done this until this point.

Good to see you back though, where have you been??
  • edited November 2010
    call and note imo

although your read is he seem'd solid, more then likely unless its lucky they wont want to win the pot there and then with the straight they would just raise.

if they do nice bit of info for you next time, maybe they had set and was worried about straight?