You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

moved up to 15 30

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Just moved up to 15 30 in cash as I got fed up with bad beats in the lower stakes doing ok as players seem to play the hands they have but the betting is obviously a lot bigger this hand I would probably call down but at this level unashamedly got scared so folded thought he had an over pair or at least 2 over cards player had just arrived so no stats on him should I call him down or fold
jonston118 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £53.20
JONONZIE Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £46.56
  Your hole cards

mrparish82 Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £30.22
bigboss294 Call  £0.90 £2.25 £37.52
bustodegen Fold     
welshbob Fold     
jonston118 Call  £0.75 £3.00 £52.45
JONONZIE Call  £0.60 £3.60 £45.96
Flop

jonston118 Check     
JONONZIE Bet  £1.20 £4.80 £44.76
mrparish82 Raise  £2.40 £7.20 £27.82
bigboss294 Fold     
jonston118 Fold     
JONONZIE Call  £1.20 £8.40 £43.56
Turn

JONONZIE Check     
mrparish82 Bet  £4.20 £12.60 £23.62
JONONZIE Fold     
mrparish82 Muck     
mrparish82 Win  £7.98  £31.60
mrparish82 Return  £4.20 £0.42 £35.80
Here is another hand normaly i would call but I folded do you think he had it ?
mrparish82 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £58.52 Fuser Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £6.07   Your hole cards K K       THINPOP Call  £0.30 £0.75 £19.40 pokerbum64 Fold     jonston118 Fold     JONONZIE Raise  £1.20 £1.95 £39.36 mrparish82 Fold     Fuser Fold     THINPOP Call  £0.90 £2.85 £18.50 Flop    4 A 8       THINPOP Bet  £0.30 £3.15 £18.20 JONONZIE Raise  £1.20 £4.35 £38.16 THINPOP Call  £0.90 £5.25 £17.30 Turn    A       THINPOP Check     JONONZIE Check     River    10       THINPOP Bet  £5.25 £10.50 £12.05 JONONZIE Fold     THINPOP Muck     THINPOP Win  £4.98  £17.03 THINPOP Return  £5.25 £0.27 £22.28

Comments

• edited November 2010

Hi

I am not a cash player, but you said it yourself, you got scared, I find that if you play outside your comfort zone, you dont play as well, you can still bet bad beats at any level, and if you are going to lose money you cant afford?

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: moved up to 15 30:
    Hi I am not a cash player, but you said it yourself, you got scared, I find that if you play outside your comfort zone, you dont play as well, you can still bet bad beats at any level, and if you are going to lose money you cant afford?
    Posted by acebarry10
    nice post Barry, moving up to change your luck with scared money is a good way to go busto
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: moved up to 15 30:
    Hi I am not a cash player, but you said it yourself, you got scared, I find that if you play outside your comfort zone, you dont play as well, you can still bet bad beats at any level, and if you are going to lose money you cant afford?
    Posted by acebarry10
    Cheers ace

I think your right ACE been playing since 7 tonight started with 30 quid never went below this but it all went in just now (20.45) me AK V K 10 on a K J 10 board me way behind then hit a J on the river to counterfit him normal stuff in a tourny but this cash is scary think I will stick to the low levels as you suggest gl on the tables
  • edited November 2010
    as above dont play if scared money, dont mind moving up if you got the role and you dont mind dropping down if things dont go well drop down etc

• edited November 2010
    yea, you know yourself this is too high.

The key with these hands is, you KNOW there's a chance they have it. If you're properly rolled though, you can take a proper estimate of just how often they're bluffing, and then decide if the pot dictates you should call. You have to accept that sometimes you're putting your money in behind, and that sometimes you have to make calls that are only coming out ahead 20/30% of the time- because there's that much money involved that you have to do it. If you've only got a few buyins, you obviously can't afford to do that since you'd go bust WAY before you evened out the variance, so you're playing distinctly suboptimal poker, and would probably make a lot more at lower limits.

That being said, I don't really mind the folds too much. In the first hand, you're 4 way on a paired board- there is every chance that someone has your 7's beat here. Calling the flop and seeing what he does on the turn is fine, and your hand is very vulnerable- no harm in folding. Second hand is screaming ace or flush draw to me- the call preflop is likely a rag ace, he's bet it and called the reraise, then checked his trips on the turn, hoping for more action. As he's first to act, he can't risk you checking behind so tries for the busted flush draw bet on river.

Equally likely is he has the busted flush draw, and he was playing it quite passively, until the river where his only shot at winning is betting you off it. This is one of those spots where calling is probably a +EV move, since it's around a 50/50 chance whether he has the nuts or nothing, and you're getting the price to make that call.

• edited November 2010
    first hand i raise more pre flop to try and isolate it to 1 player against you ,

there is no 3 bet to your raise so no one has a big pp imo

what do you want to see on a flop with pocket 7s?  thats a great flop imo  im putting him on aq ,aj a10 type hands here with his min raise on flop  ,the 4 on turn is great card what do you think he has a2 ,67, a5 even .personnaly speaking i would jam his turn bet but then again i would be rolled to do it ,i honestly think you are in front in the first hand .

the 2nd hand

raise is fine pre maybe make it £1.50 but thats being picky the ace is scary with pocket kings i would bet out the  pot on the flop see if he has it .ace on turn is either a great card for you or worst card for you ,i dont check the turn i bet dont forget if he hasnt got the ace you are representing it at this time if he calls you know he either has the ace or is on a flush draw  i prefer to go with the latter  river is irrelevent imo ,at this point you are either crushed or he has a busted flush either way i at least call his river bet or jam him
    i cant fold kk on this board
  • edited November 2010

thanks guy & dolls I must admit to finding it hard playing cash games, I'm over two grand up in tourney play but cash is so different I will carry on in the lower stakes I'm fairly comfortable at 5 & 10 although the 15 & 30 was an adrenalin rush and nice to be up, but played far to tight and the other players seemed to sense weakness from me  but I'm glad I did it. thanks to everyone for there advice all warmly welcomed