You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

your opinions please guys

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi first time post I just lost the majority of my stack in this hand and im wondering should i have tried a bet on a river, or bet more on the turn or just dumped the had at the start thanks.
matt75foot Small blind  40.00 40.00 2640.00
catoss21 Big blind  80.00 120.00 3175.00
  Your hole cards

PenPal Raise  240.00 360.00 2095.00
mcmillan01 Fold     
d-the-d Fold     
xxMONSTERx Fold     
matt75foot Fold     
catoss21 Call  160.00 520.00 3015.00
Flop

• K

catoss21 Check     
PenPal Bet  390.00 910.00 1705.00
catoss21 Call  390.00 1300.00 2625.00
Turn

catoss21 Check     
PenPal Bet  650.00 1950.00 1055.00
catoss21 Call  650.00 2600.00 1975.00
River

catoss21 Check     
PenPal Check     
catoss21 Show

PenPal Muck

catoss21 Win Pair of 10s 2600.00  4575.00

Comments

• edited November 2010
    If you think you're good on the flop (which I assume you do with the call)  then re-raise him here, and he'll have to fold, if he comes back at you, you know you're no good and can get away. Basically, you never ask him a question and if you had done this on either flop or turn then you clearly would have taken it down. Flat calling with second pair is rarely good. Don't be afraid to bet next time. GL
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: your opinions please guys:
    If you think you're good on the flop (which I assume you do with the call)  then re-raise him here, and he'll have to fold, if he comes back at you, you know you're no good and can get away. Basically, you never ask him a question and if you had done this on either flop or turn then you clearly would have taken it down. Flat calling with second pair is rarely good. Don't be afraid to bet next time. GL
    Posted by Pisto
    He asked him two massive questions on the flop and turn but villain chased his gutshot and hit his pair.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: your opinions please guys:
    In Response to Re: your opinions please guys : He asked him two massive questions on the flop and turn but villain chased his gutshot and hit his pair.
    Posted by JingleMa
    My bad! completely miss read the players!
  • edited November 2010
    As played, I am surprised that your turn bet didn't take it down, 'cos at that stage the villain was looking for gut shot, 4 x 8s = only about 12 to 1 chance (even higher as you had one of the 8s).  He called 650 into 1950 pot, a losing play long term.  He hit lucky on the river.
    However, looking at your starting hand of 9 8 suited, although you hit 2nd pair in flop, you had a weak kicker and the fact that he called a 3 bet pre, you have to put an Ace or King in his range. Whilst your flop bet asked the question, his call suggested he had something stronger that he had.  For me your turn bet is too strong, I would be looking at check/call or check/fold.
  • edited November 2010
    Second pair with a weak kicker card hmm decent bet on the flop to ask a question but I would probably not have played 89 suited anyway (I can be tight though). If the villain didn't always call people trying to steal his big blind then I would have been weary of some kind of pair especially with a call to your bet on the flop as it was a fair chunk of the pot when you made it.

Looking back it was just a piece of fortune for your opponent but I think you partly dug the hole for yourself too.
  • edited November 2010
    thanks guys. yeah after i made my bet on the turn and he called i put him on a weak king to be honest and i couldn't see him folding so i checked it down. I robably shouldnt have bet so big on the turn like dollie said, thanks for all your inputs