You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you play pocket aces?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Dont shove pre unless less then 10 bb or you have been shoving past 4+ hands pre and someone has said they will call next! dont call with them ever!

if deepstack 3-4 x initial raise if couple of limpers add bb per limp, after flop you have to rely on your reads sometimes you gotta fold them others you wont and you will be behind

PS- I love aces

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Great news, you've just been dealt pocket aces. But now what do you do?

There has been a fair bit of discussion about this on the forum recently. Some members advocate shoving pre-flop regardless of stack sizes, others prefer to slowplay. Unfotunately aces are far from invincible and this seemingly desirable situation will sometimes end up in tears, some people just can't put them down under any circumstances and can end up losing their whole stack. 

Personally I use my standard pre-flop raise to disguise my hand strength, while hoping that somebody else will raise the pot even more. If you can get somebody all-in pre then obviously that's perfect, when we do see a flop I will make my standard c-bet and evaluate what happens from there.

Here's a classic example of how not to play aces. The chip leader at this MTT final table first made the mistake of slowplaying his aces by limping in, his second error was falling in love with them so much that he just couldn't find a way to fold, self-distruction inevitably followed.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Small blind  400.00 400.00 13136.25
    Big blind  800.00 1200.00 14242.50
      Your hole cards

Chipleader Call  800.00 2000.00 34371.25
    Call  800.00 2800.00 31580.00
    Fold     
    Fold     
    Check     
    Flop

Check     
    Chipleader Check     
    Bet  1400.00 4200.00 30180.00
    Fold     
    Chipleader Raise  2800.00 7000.00 31571.25
    Raise  7700.00 14700.00 22480.00
    Chipleader All-in  31571.25 46271.25 0.00
    All-in  22480.00 68751.25 0.00
    Chipleader Unmatched bet  2791.25 65960.00 2791.25
    Chipleader Show
    • A
    • A

Show

Turn

• J

River

• J

Win Full House, 10s and Jacks 65960.00  65960.00
  • edited November 2010

I wouldnt say he played them wrong, He did just walk into a better hand after the flop, Ok you hit trips and he went all in over the top of you, But if I was sat there with aces, I'd of been convinced there good, he could of put you on A10, or K10.

Must of been nice to beat the aces though ;P

• edited November 2010
    cant see how you can decide how your going to play any hand in a mtt with out taking into account how the tables playing,time in tourniment,relative stack sizes.
    with any strong starting hand where you are looking to get paid out the fewer callers the stronger your hand is the more callers the more chances of a bad beat.
    cant agree with tomb your guy couldnt have played them more wrong yes he lost to trips and yes if he shoves preflop the result would be the same.but by letting the bb see a free flop gives him no range on what the bb has got therefore has no clue what impact the flop has.
  • edited November 2010
    I play pocket aces the same way I make love to Young_Gun

I don't stick everything in too quickly unless I am very desperate and don't mind if I make a mess.
  • edited November 2010
    lol how did you not raise pre?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: How do you play pocket aces?:
    I play pocket aces the same way I make love to a woman. I don't stick everything in too quickly unless I am very desperate and don't mind if I make a mess.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi

woman?? u telling porkies Mr M ;-)

great analogy
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: How do you play pocket aces?:
    In Response to Re: How do you play pocket aces? : woman?? u telling porkies Mr M ;-) great analogy
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    corrected it now, sorry about that.
  • edited November 2010
    dats better! love u xx
  • edited November 2010
    it was the bra and suspenders you wore last night, confused me.

And how you insisted on me calling you Angel.
  • edited November 2010
    shhhhh miyagi told you not to tell anyone gawd! no repeat tonight for you
  • edited November 2010
    I think that hand played it self really. If you have aces in that position then you should think you are good. If you fold in that situation i think you are a bad player because how can you put your player on a set? they could have kk,qq,jj and as overpairs they are soo strong. The only thing i wud say negatively about the play with aces is that maybe calling the raise rather than pushing would be better. See what happens on the turn, there is still enough in the pot to stack off and if you feel as though you are behind folding would look better. This would mean your opponent is more likely to call in more situations.
  • edited November 2010
    only negative calling the raise? huh they called pre with aces thats terrible

fair point cant really put anyone on a set cause they didnt ask them any questions!
  • edited November 2010
    the only negative i meant was pushing whereas calling the 3 bet would have been alot better. and you can re assess on the turn
  • edited November 2010
    fold aces pre. you always lose a big pot.
  • edited November 2010
    One question, why no raise pre with the 10's? You're 5 handed with a premium hand & imo the dead money in the middle is worth picking up. The chip leader isn't gonna have a bigger pp there every time.
  • edited November 2010
    This is a "How do you play pocket aces?" thread bob!

If you want to find out about 10's then your going to have to make another thread or I am going to have to report you for going off topic.
  • edited November 2010

i dont like ur limp behind with the 10's at all & i aint a massive fan of ur 3bet on the flop, especially with the stack sizes, ur so far ahead on this board and in position. ur lucky the villian did limp with AA here because majority of hands fold to ur 3bet.

• edited November 2010
    Personally I like to min-raise them to disguise the strength of my hand.

I then min-bet all the way to the river. And then shove the river when the board is KKQTT. Hand is soooo well disguised.
  • edited November 2010
    never never limp in with aces u gopt 5 or 6 players going to the flop aces no chance at most u want 2 callers only time limp from under the gun hopeing someone will do the raise for u or if u got a manic thats raiseing every hand any 2