You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What to do with nightmare turn cards

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
There's two main questions here. Preflop I'm happy with, but the line to take on flop is one I'm not so sure about. Table history- pretty passive when it comes to reraising, in fact never seen it on flop- people are either drawing, and call, have a pair of some description, and call, or have a monster, and slow play it. They're willing to bet and bluff, but once someone else bets, it's a case of call if you have anything but never raise.

With that in mind, having flopped the nuts but with a scary draw out, what can I do on the flop? Betting out is obviously my favourite option on a passive calling type table, but is there a case here for the checkraise? I know beyond doubt I won't be raised if I bet, but if someone else gives me the leverage by betting into me, I can then reraise far more substantially, and get my money in. But runs the risk of course of checks all round and missing out on value- on the flipside, I get away cheaper then with bad turn cards. Thoughts?

After that, with probably the worst card in the deck coming on the turn, what should my thoughts be now? Should I just give up straight away, or is there any argument for continuing in the hand? When I checked, it was fully with the intention that I'm folding the hand, but should I bet out and confirm my suspicions first? I was pretty sure now I'd be calling to split at absolute best, since these players do love to come along with draws.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DeucesLive Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £18.60
tez104 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £17.22
TheMonk82 Big blind   £0.20 £0.50 £19.80
  Your hole cards

xxxx Call   £0.20 £0.70 £6.68
yyyy Call   £0.20 £0.90 £13.35
TheMonk82 Check        
AceSweaty Fold        
DeucesLive Call   £0.10 £1.00 £18.50
tez104 Check        
Flop

DeucesLive Bet   £0.80 £1.80 £17.70
tez104 Fold        
xxxx Call   £0.80 £2.60 £5.88
yyyy Call   £0.80 £3.40 £12.55
TheMonk82 Fold        
Turn

DeucesLive Check        
xxxx Check        
yyyy Bet   £2.00 £5.40 £10.55
DeucesLive ????

Comments

• edited November 2010
    As reading your discription of the table your playing stations, so as a area i know well ill have a pop at my opinions.

On the flop i probably pot it or over bet it. If people will pay for that heart/straight draw make em pay for it, I want as much as i can in the middle for when they dont hit.

Obviously sometimes they will.

On the turn, id probably have on more stab at around 1.60

Then check/call a river.

I hate these situations too so i know how you feel.
  • edited November 2010
    yeah theres nothing wrong with overbetting the flop if its vs very loose opponents. id generally bet instead of check raise as there as so many pair + gutterball type hand that will just check it back which is bad for you