You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

could i have done anything different in this hand

This is from the £500 freeroll and just want to know if i could have played any different.
Got Q2 spades in my hand on small blind. passed around to me with no play. big blind and myself both had around 35000 chips when blinds were 1000/2000 i think. bet 10000 and they called me. At this stage i admit i shouldnt have called. Flop Q 3 K differing suits. we both checked. River 8. I bet 4000 approx. they went over the top with about 15000 so i folded. He showed his cards to be pocket J so i was still ahead with Q paired.

Is there anything i could have done to get out earlier or to carry on with decent odds to win.

Pot they won was 61457.50 and left me with about 17000 chips.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    You bet a third of your stack on Q2. For me, this is bad with those blinds. But you were playing him not me. I would have flat called with it and seen what happend, or sometimes thrown it away and let him have 1000 to mix my play up a bit. I then have 34k left to play with to get a better hand -  and a full orbit to find one for no cost.

However given that you did bet a third of your stack, and he then calls you with a third of his stack, you know he has something big. Alarm bells should be going off big time.

When you hit that Q you should now make your choice. All in right here and now, or check. I would not be putting any more into that pot if I belive he is beating me, but given that a third of my stack is already in there I am all in as soon as I hit the Q.

By going all in you now force him into a very tough call with JJ given your original bet and a flop with a Q and K on it, so either you win it if he folds, or you can win it if you have the best hand.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to could i have done anything different in this hand:
    This is from the £500 freeroll and just want to know if i could have played any different. Got Q2 spades in my hand on small blind. passed around to me with no play. big blind and myself both had around 35000 chips when blinds were 1000/2000 i think. bet 10000 and they called me. At this stage i admit i shouldnt have called. Flop Q 3 K differing suits. we both checked. River 8. I bet 4000 approx. they went over the top with about 15000 so i folded. He showed his cards to be pocket J so i was still ahead with Q paired. Is there anything i could have done to get out earlier or to carry on with decent odds to win. Pot they won was 61457.50 and left me with about 17000 chips. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Posted by redwings22
    Hi Redwing,
    As Draig says ALL your problems stem from the raise with a BAD hand.
    A lot of players loose a lot of chips from doing exactly as you in this hand.
    In that positon, you should be asking yourself a few questions.
    1. if i bet a third of my stack,what can he call with.
    2. what sort of board do i want, and if an over card comes what will i do.
    3. can i get this bet past this player, ie has he been playing a tight game.
    4. if he has been tight and he calls what are his hand ranges.
    ANd finally the golden rule...
    If i make this bet am i, if i hit the flop, going to fold. IF SO DON'T WASTE YOUR CHIPS AND WAIT  FOR A BETTER SITUATION OR BETTER CARDS IN THAT SITUATION.

col
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to could i have done anything different in this hand:
    This is from the £500 freeroll and just want to know if i could have played any different. Got Q2 spades in my hand on small blind. passed around to me with no play. big blind and myself both had around 35000 chips when blinds were 1000/2000 i think. bet 10000 and they called me. At this stage i admit i shouldnt have called. Flop Q 3 K differing suits. we both checked. River 8. I bet 4000 approx. they went over the top with about 15000 so i folded. He showed his cards to be pocket J so i was still ahead with Q paired. Is there anything i could have done to get out earlier or to carry on with decent odds to win. Pot they won was 61457.50 and left me with about 17000 chips. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Posted by redwings22
    Hi,
    Its the pre-raise of 10K then the C/value bet of 4K on the turn that strikes me about the play. I understand that is more of a value bet with the 4K and you get your answered with his re-raise.

However, you asked about playing it different, I would suggest be more confident when you reaise pre-flop, a better starting hand naturally than Q2 gives you that confidence to then go on and bet more then 4K perhaps. So, maybe just call to make up the big blind with Q2 or fold,