You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Clarification about Poker professionals??

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat

I recently read an article in a poker magazine where it stated most poker professionals are bankrupt and or in debt? I just wondered how this could be true if they were professionals? Especially considering the lifestyle these guys live??

Thanks all,

Mchael

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I guess alot of 'professionals' are infact just addicted gamblers.

• edited November 2010
    i wrote a long post which basically got deleted, so infuriating, but the article you read was probably referring to tourney pros. Otherwise its probably not true. Tourney pros are backed because the variance is so high in tourneys so when theyre backed they have to pay make-up to their backers when they do win which means a vast majority of them are in debt. Its practically impossible to play the live circuit without sponsorship or a backer and make any money because of travelling costs etc.

Considering theres way more cash game pros than tourney pros and a much smaller % of them are staked its clearly not true to say most poker pros are bankrupt or broke though.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Clarification about Poker professionals??:
    i wrote a long post which basically got deleted, so infuriating, but the article you read was probably referring to tourney pros. Otherwise its probably not true. Tourney pros are backed because the variance is so high in tourneys so when theyre backed they have to pay make-up to their backers when they do win which means a vast majority of them are in debt. Its practically impossible to play the live circuit without sponsorship or a backer and make any money because of travelling costs etc. Considering theres way more cash game pros than tourney pros and a much smaller % of them are staked its clearly not true to say most poker pros are bankrupt or broke though.
    Posted by offshoot

Why did it get deleted? I wouldnt mind reading that
  • edited November 2010
    i mean that i wrote a long post but my login timed out so when i posted it it disappeared, pain in the ****. It wasnt that long or interesting anyway. Just annoying when that happens.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Clarification about Poker professionals??:
    i mean that i wrote a long post but my login timed out so when i posted it it disappeared, pain in the ****. It wasnt that long or interesting anyway. Just annoying when that happens.
    Posted by offshoot
    this is after happening me a few times ,
    when trying to sort out comps .
    so now before i risk the post button these days,
     i now copy just incase i get timed out .
    ul m8y !