You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

crazy read or bonkers fold?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
such a sick hand this lol, how i folded it i have no idea i just got one of those 6th sense moments which have tended to serve me good in the past. no reads on villain, havent noticed him getting involved in many hands etc. he limps, i decide just to limp with my 22 see a cheap flop and hit my set. flop is very good (or so i though) and villain checks, 'halenpace' puts in a strange bet out on the flop which gets insta called by the villain so i put in a fairly chunky re-raise in and get called fairly quickly by 'halenpace', and get insta re-raised by the villain who limped pre and flatted post.

this is where i played the hand badly (hold my hands up) i just flat the bet, i know one of them is on at least a flush draw, i really should have re-raised there and got a better idea where i was. live and learn. anyway 'halenpace' also flats and the turn comes a blank in terms of changing anyones hand here, and he almost instantly goes allin. i dwell up and have my little 6th sense feeling and lay it down, whilst wimpering at how badly i played it post flop and laying it down on the turn lol. not only this but like i said i knew one had at least a flush and if i call do i price the other guy to also commit?

what do we think? would he really make this play with A8/K8? or did he have the nut flush draw?, 'halenpace' said they had the flush draw. i dunno i just have a feeling the way it played out he limped with 33 or 88 for the exact reason i had done. im not wanting people telling me its a horrendous fold over the long term as im fully aware of this and would usually snap his arm off, but with how it played out what are other peoples thoughts? be interesting to see on tv whether i was a hero or just simply got outplayed.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
meelypops Sit out        
halenpace Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £139.51
J3WANDM3 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £29.50
  Your hole cards

rampage805 Call   £0.50 £1.25 £15.26
villain Call   £0.50 £1.75 £39.98
hurst05 Call   £0.50 £2.25 £79.21
halenpace Call   £0.25 £2.50 £139.26
J3WANDM3 Check        
Flop

halenpace Bet   £1.50 £4.00 £137.76
J3WANDM3 Fold        
rampage805 Fold        
villain Call   £1.50 £5.50 £38.48
hurst05 Raise   £5.00 £10.50 £74.21
halenpace Call   £3.50 £14.00 £134.26
villain Raise   £7.00 £21.00 £31.48
hurst05 Call   £3.50 £24.50 £70.71
halenpace Call   £3.50 £28.00 £130.76
Turn

halenpace Check        
villain All-in   £31.48 £59.48 £0.00
hurst05 Fold        
halenpace Fold        
villain Muck        
villain Win   £26.60   £26.60
villain Return   £31.48 £1.40 £58.08

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I'm not folding a set here.

If I'm beat I'm beat I'll take it on the chin.

Limping with 88 would be pretty terrible (and unlikely imo). Although I suppose going on how badly the villain played the rest of the hand then I suppose it is possible.

I hate just about everything about this hand from villain.

1) bad limp

2) if he has a set then the flat of the lead out sucks as allows others into the pot with draws cheaply, it's a 5 way pot!

3)  then the min-raise 4-bet is just brutal too, especially if which is almost guaranteed somebody has the flush draw he is giving them great odds to hit it.

4) If he shoves the turn as he is worried about a draw what on earth was his min 4-bet on the flop all about as it gave people odds to hit their draw.

All in all his play makes no sense whatsoever. It's all over the place.  

I probably call but amn't certain I'm ahead, we're basically puting him on 33 here and nothing else, not sure we can do that.

• edited November 2010

I wud just raise the flop again and put all my money in because I have a set!

I wouldn't even worry about the betting patterns, I'd just look at my hand, and the board, and try and get my money in.

When u flat the flop, it must be with the intention of letting him bluff the turn? unless you're hoping to hit a 1-outer - and he fires for you - job done happy days?
  • edited November 2010
    yeah my call flop was baaaaaaad. if it replayed i call there but i dunno, just had a gut feeling. 
  • edited November 2010
    Bonkers fold, I would of put him on top pair or middle pair, Should of called him, if u lost you was losing to a worse hand preflop i think,
  • edited November 2010
    Are you trying to out nit me hursty? jeez!

Fwiw, i am not folding this in a cash game.

• edited November 2010
    Its a cash and therefore an easy call. He can easily be doing this with the draw or just some crazy player with top pair having put you on a draw.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: crazy read or bonkers fold?:
    Are you trying to out nit me hursty? jeez! Fwiw, i am not folding this in a cash game.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    i wanted to go for nittiest fold of the month comp ;) lol
  • edited November 2010
    i know i know, if it replayed id insta call but in the moment it just felt right to fold.