You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Players who log into Tornaments and don't play

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat
I played last night on the Free Sky team tournament. Was playing on a table with six and was enjoying the game , one player was knocked out and I ended up with a table with 2 people only log on and all others away. I had about 2700 chips with the other person playing with 7000 chips. It wasn't fun as it was like playing heads up with someone with a massive chip lead . Not enjoyable. What do you think of th idea if players don't log onto a game within 30 minutes they are eliminated automatically in free tournaments or point tournaments Thoughts?  Comments?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    hi sdpd, have a look in the the puppy thread, in the shed and you'll see why i didn't play. Apart from that, people can sit out it's not against the rules, annoying but not wrong
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Poker Players who log into Tornaments and don't play:
    I played last night on the Free Sky team tournament. Was playing on a table with six and was enjoying the game , one player was knocked out and I ended up with a table with 2 people only log on and all others away. I had about 2700 chips with the other person playing with 7000 chips. It wasn't fun as it was like playing heads up with someone with a massive chip lead . Not enjoyable. What do you think of th idea if players don't log onto a game within 30 minutes they are eliminated automatically in free tournaments or point tournaments Thoughts?  Comments?
    Posted by sdpd
    Just imagine one day that it's you that has entered one of these games but for some unforeseen circumstance you have been delayed or whatever, and you rush back late to play only to find out you have been eliminated.....how frustrating would that be.
    There are some players who, are sat at the tables from the start, but choose not to get involved in the first 3 to 6 levels on certain type games because they know they can see the field dwindle down and all they have lost are there blinds...in fact our very own Tikay sometimes advocates this as part of your armoury into getting deeper into tournament play (and I apologise to Tikay if I have mis-represented you in any way,shape or form).
    So I personally understand your lack of enjoyment when this happens but hey, you're getting free chips in return and Sky are not penalising players who are genuinely unable to start at the allotted time.
    I'm just putting up a case for the defence.....and I'm sure there will be many who are on your side and totally agree with you on this....Billy.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi,

Imo, its a bad idea to have time limits, unenforceable and unpractical.

If they dont turn up there are more unprotected chips to win (this is an advantage imo)

Its free so people will register and not turn up, part of the teritory with free rolls im afraid, just adapt, take on the big chip leader and get an easy double through!

good luck

Hoggers

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker Players who log into Tornaments and don't play:
    In Response to Poker Players who log into Tornaments and don't play : Just imagine one day that it's you that has entered one of these games but for some unforeseen circumstance you have been delayed or whatever, and you rush back late to play only to find out you have been eliminated.....how frustrating would that be. There are some players who, are sat at the tables from the start, but choose not to get involved in the first 3 to 6 levels on certain type games because they know they can see the field dwindle down and all they have lost are there blinds...in fact our very own Tikay sometimes advocates this as part of your armoury into getting deeper into tournament play (and I apologise to Tikay if I have mis-represented you in any way,shape or form). So I personally understand your lack of enjoyment when this happens but hey, you're getting free chips in return and Sky are not penalising players who are genuinely unable to start at the allotted time. I'm just putting up a case for the defence.....and I'm sure there will be many who are on your side and totally agree with you on this....Billy.
    Posted by billyboots
     Thanks Billy , I understand this and expect a small percentage of people to miss a tournament as we all do , but to get moved to table with only two active players was frustrating. It would have been better if the non active players were spread across all the tables in the tournament . I tried the double up and being agressive and got knocked out . I enjoyed the being part of Sky team .

SDPD
  • edited November 2010
     SDPD
     THIS IS SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS A LOT AND PLAYING FOR TEAM SKY YOU MUST OF COME ACROSS THIS IN MOST OF OUR GAMES.
    IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT THIS HAPPENS BUT AS IT HAS BEEN SAID JUST TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN. IT WAS UL THAT YOU WAS ON THE TABLE WHO WOULD NOT SHARE THE AWAYS. BUT IF YOU CHAT ON THE TABLES ENOUGH YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND 1 OR 2 PLAYERS THAT WILL ALSO PLAY LIKE THIS.
    THANKS FOR BEING A MEMBER OF THE TEAM THOUGH AND GL IN THE FUTURE
  • edited November 2010

See it a few times and the 'lower end' DYM tourneys.  They only start playing when its down to 4

Why play poker just to 'hopefully' win £2.30????? I'd rather enjoy a game and a bit of banter

• edited November 2010
    I see this as a problem in many of the free tournies like the team events and  the league freerolls.

I understand Gregs comment that there if 2,3 or 4 players are missing there are therefore many free chips on offer, but it does spoil the natural rhythm of the game. A player with a couple of no shows after him on a table has a huge advantage.

It is also annoying when you have battled away for a few levels on a full table and built up a healthy stack, only for it to be dwarfed when you are moved to another table where a couple of players have built mountains from having 4 players away !

I understand the difficulties of having a time limit of some sort, but there is a simpler solution.

If the registration lobby for all freerolls was only opened, say one hour, before the event starts this would ensure that players who register are available to play and intend to do so.
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    If the registration lobby for all freerolls was only opened, say one hour, before the event starts this would ensure that players who register are available to play and intend to do so.
    Posted by penguin7
    Excellent idea, maybe even as little as 30 minutes. Ideally the tournament could be in the lobby for a day or two to promote it, but without it being possible to register.
  • edited November 2010
    I see this as a problem in many of the free tournies like the team events and  the league freerolls . I understand Gregs comment that there if 2,3 or 4 players are missing there are therefore many free chips on offer , but it does spoil the natural rhythm of the game. A player with a couple of no shows after him on a table has a huge advantage. It is also annoying when you have battled away for a few levels on a full table and built up a healthy stack, only for it to be dwarfed when you are moved to another table where a couple of players have built mountains from having 4 players away ! I understand the difficulties of having a time limit of some sort, but there is a simpler solution. If the registration lobby for all freerolls was only opened, say one hour, before the event starts this would ensure that players who register are available to play and intend to do so.
    Posted by penguin7
    Thanks all for your comments , Great idea Penquin7 . Good luck to you all. SDPD
  • edited November 2010
    Eliminating players isnt a solution for online play. I do it at my live tournaments but i always have a phone number for the players asa result i can phone to save them comming in, and they all know the required time scale.

However online Penguin7's idea is perfect.
  • edited November 2010
    Tony you make an excellent point

Freerolls on other sites only become available a couple of hours before. They say "announced" before though so you know when they are on.

I dont think sky has an "announced" facility though. Another suggestion for the list...