You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bluff v nit, 30nl

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Call on the button against this guy with A-T is maybe a mistake, his opening range is kinda predictable, pairs and A-T+, so maybe not the best hand to take him on with, but I've got position.....

The guy crushes the level, by pretty much playing his cards solidly. He doesnt make many moves, and value towns his opponents to death with monsters.

He percieves me as aggressive, so he knows when he checks to me on that flop I'm betting 99% of the time. Of course I have to bet, or I might as well give the hand up now.

He check-raises me alot there, but the flat call tells me he might well have 88/10-10/JJ/QQ, or 10-jack. He wud deffo check call these hands against me rather than c bet them.

He then leads a blank turn. I think this is more of a delayed c bet, as he knows my bet on the flop could mean anything. It brings a flush draw - so 10-J of clubs is deffo in my mind here.

I could give up here, but as he didn't check raise the flop, and the turn was a blank, I decide to keep on telling the story I started on the flop, and make a raise, which he weirdly calls. Again I'm pretty sure he must have JJ/QQ here, even tho he's took a weird line with it on the turn....

The river is another blank, and he checks to me.

Again, I'm beat here, but if he's gonna call a bet, he would probably bet himself as his game is all about value town.

I think I've told a consistant story throughout the hand here, can I get a fold?

What would u do on the river?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Loosifer Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £28.04
mreg Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £17.43
  Your hole cards
  • A

xxx Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £27.15
Yido_rups Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Call  £1.20 £2.85 £39.19
Loosifer Fold     
mreg Fold     
Flop

• K

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.80 £4.65 £37.39
xxxCall  £1.80 £6.45 £25.35
Turn

xxxBet  £3.23 £9.68 £22.12
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £9.00 £18.68 £28.39
xxxCall  £5.77 £24.45 £16.35
River

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I think your turn bet is a bit weak, doesnt really add to the story

as for river depends if you think he will call with rubbish king? if he would then check river if you think you can get him of it shove

its hard one if he's a nit could easily have JJ/QQ and fold to good bet on river depends on whether they are likely to call really hard to say

edit sorry only move if betting is to shove but above does still apply
  • edited November 2010

I was conscious on the turn, that I had to leave enough back to be able to get him off on the river. If I make it £12 on the turn, my river bet would only be £15 into £30, so he probably calls with alot of his range (TT-JJ-QQ). 

He folds the river for any bet if he has TJ or a flush draw, but he never ever folds the turn with those hands unless I shove.

So If I'm playing against a range of TT/JJ/QQ and TJ of clubs, I think the bet size on the turn with the plan to shove the river if it bricks is the best way forward?

He never has a bad king here, if he's holding a king, it's gonna be AK or QK, which he never plays this way.

So what wud u do on the river YG? u shove?
  • edited November 2010
    If 10/10 - Q/Q or J/10 clubs his range then i would shove for sure

problem is he could have KQ here if defo discard the king then happy to shove knowing that they can make folds, by that i mean knowing they arent a call station who will just call here when marginal cos we dont want a call
  • edited November 2010

Well, that's what I suspect he has ........obviously I can't be sure or the game wud be too easy :)

Just can't see how he cud ever have a king, 2 pairs, or a set, or aces .................

• edited November 2010
    knowing how aggressive you are he could have a set 77 or 99 and he has just pwnd you the whole hand

equally knowing how you are again he could do this with KQ, so with your image possible check river could be good here as he is always calling.

As played could have KQ, 77,99, QQ,JJ which you beat none of, he could have flush draw which is never calling your shove on the river. debatable how much he will fold to your shove depends very much on the individual so i would check in this spot, if you think they will lay down 2nd pair then shove. we do get some value with checking if they have pp that has missed and we have some showdown value
  • edited November 2010

Good point about 77 and 99 but I don't think he ever checks the river with these hands, and I've played with him alot.

He also 3 bets me on the turn with them hands.

I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wanna know what he had - maybe I'll pm him, Im sure he reads the clinic, but he never posts.

• edited November 2010
    lol so did you shove he folded? mission accomplished if thats the case

i could safely check mega-strong vs you in this spot so im sure they can
  • edited November 2010
    Who was it? 

If he crushes this level, why can't he play a hand differently against you?
  • edited November 2010

I'm not sure about giving names out - I only leave the name out if I know the guys a good player really, or a winning player at least.

With random fish I leave them in.

I'm not sure if he'd be happy if I left his name in - sent a PM telling him it was him, and asking him to post his hand on here anyway. Hopefully he will.
  • edited November 2010
    Fold to the turn lead?

he's either never folding flop or always folding flop imo. and your play should depend on which one of these it is.