You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this suicide on the river?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic

My logic here, was that if I put enough heat on this guy, he probably couldn't call.

He c bets the flop, as he would all the time after 3 betting me. I can't fold with my hand on that flop, so I decide to call.

The turn comes an ace, which is a bad card for alot of his hands, and other than ace jack, I can't really see how this could have improved his hand, and I don't think AJ is in his 3 betting range. So again, I decide to call.

The river brings another over-card to the flop, and he makes the fishiest/stinkiest river blocker/thin value bet.

I'm now pretty certain I'm behind in the hand, but also pretty certain he isn't confident with his hand at all.

My options therefore are to fold, and curse myself at how badly I played the hand? Or turn my hand into a bluff, and see if he has the balls to call with his likely marginal holding.

If he was strong (2pair or better) I think he bets bigger for value on the river.

Stacks are easily big enough for me to make this play.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
GREYCOWBOY Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £8.74
torres215 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £122.77
  Your hole cards
  • J

dogcharlie Fold     
nutty_bird Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £79.48
GREYCOWBOY Fold     
torres215 Raise  £2.40 £3.75 £120.37
DOHHHHHHH Call  £1.80 £5.55 £77.68
Flop

• J

torres215 Bet  £4.16 £9.71 £116.21
DOHHHHHHH Call  £4.16 £13.87 £73.52
Turn

• A

torres215 Bet  £10.40 £24.27 £105.81
DOHHHHHHH Call  £10.40 £34.67 £63.12
River

• K

torres215 Bet  £10.50 £45.17 £95.31
DOHHHHHHH All-in  £63.12 £108.29 £0.00
torres215

Comments

• edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    I think it's pretty gross to be honest.

He could easily have fired flop with AK and then fired again on turn when he's hit his A.

What hands are you raising that river with, with a genuine hand?

Basically only QcTc....

So you are repping 1 hand. The only hand you are folding out here would be AQ or QQ (which wouldn't bet river). He isn't folding AA, KK, , or AK here.

You are raising all sets either on flop or turn imo, you are 4-betting AK pre imo, you are not re-raising river with AJ for value because that is still easily beat and would definitely flat river with this hand.

I think you are only folding out AQ in this spot and you really aren't repping much.

• edited November 2010
    This guy does 3-bet a reasonable amount - not necessarily with a genuine hand. He likes to think he's good but imo you can easily outplay him in 3 bet pots.

Honestly if you hadn't included his name I would say fold - as it looks so much like he's trying to squeeze a bit more out of you with AA/KK/AK.

But with this player I don't think your play is that bad.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this suicide on the river?:
    I think it's pretty gross to be honest. He could easily have fired flop with AK and then fired again on turn when he's hit his A. What hands are you raising that river with, with a genuine hand? Basically only QcTc.... So you are repping 1 hand. The only hand you are folding out here would be AQ or QQ (which wouldn't bet river). He isn't folding AA, KK, , or AK here. You are raising all sets either on flop or turn imo, you are 4-betting AK pre imo, you are not re-raising river with AJ for value because that is still easily beat and would definitely flat river with this hand. I think you are only folding out AQ in this spot and you really aren't repping much.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    this is spot on.

• edited November 2010

lol, this play has been slaughtered!

It worked tho!

I wonder what he had !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????????

Any guesses?
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    I think it's pretty gross to be honest. He could easily have fired flop with AK and then fired again on turn when he's hit his A. What hands are you raising that river with, with a genuine hand? Basically only QcTc.... So you are repping 1 hand. The only hand you are folding out here would be AQ or QQ (which wouldn't bet river). He isn't folding AA, KK, , or AK here. You are raising all sets either on flop or turn imo, you are 4-betting AK pre imo, you are not re-raising river with AJ for value because that is still easily beat and would definitely flat river with this hand. I think you are only folding out AQ in this spot and you really aren't repping much.
    Posted by CLIOKID

He might be folding out AJ, with the oppo putting him on AcKc, but other than that I agree completely with you.

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this suicide on the river? : He might be folding out AJ, with the oppo putting him on AcKc, but other than that I agree completely with you.
    Posted by TommyD
    doh has already stated in the original post that he dont think AJ is in villians 3bet range

with that in mind what is villians 3bet range? -AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK?...how many fold river
  • edited November 2010
    This play works a lot of the time for me too, I saw someone do it on sky (can't remember who it was) against Huflungpu after pu had top pair and they called, called and then overbet at the end. He folded and they showed a complete bluff with 9 high or something.

• edited November 2010

He 3 bets all suited connectors from 2-3 to 9-10. He knows I open a solid range, so 3 betting AJ against it isn't gonna work.

(lol)
  • edited November 2010
    He 3 bets all suited connectors from 2-3 to 9-10. He knows I open a solid range, so 3 betting AJ against it isn't gonna work. (lol)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

lol
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this suicide on the river? : doh has already stated in the original post that he dont think AJ is in villians 3bet range with that in mind what is villians 3bet range? -AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK?...how many fold river
    Posted by Eagle26
    Whoops, sorry missed that for some reason.  I assume he's never played Dohhhhh before ;)