You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

COME ON ENGLAND FOR THE ASHES

edited December 2010 in The Shed

Comments

• edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    KICK THEIR F###ING A##E
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    Cricket.....yyyyyyyyyaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: COME ON ENGLAND FOR THE ASHES:
    Cricket.....yyyyyyyyyaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn
    Posted by igimc
    Yeah afraid we're gonna need to put up with this nonsense for months yet again :(
  • edited November 2010

After listening to a sleep "expert" on sky sports news yesterday afternoon, I decided to try and grab a power nap during the lunch break.

TV of at 2am, alarm set for 2.40am. "As long as you don't sleep for longer than 45 minutes, you wont reach a deep sleep" he said. WHAT !!! I woke at 2-40, and suddently my eyes wouldnt stay open.

So missed the whole of the middle session.

England performance on day 1 - not disasterous, but must do better!!!

DOHHHHHHH'S performance on day 1 - must do ALOT better.

Boozing tonight, which should help me stay awake throughout.

I fear a turgid day in the field though if we don't get some early wickets. Anderson already looks straight up and down on that wicket. 

Finn is key........

HOLD UR CATCHES ENGLAND !!!! NOT GONNA GET MANY CHANCES I FEAR!
  • edited November 2010
    I dont see why everyone was saying we will win because we wont! 3-1 lose isnt too bad

i stayed up watched first 2 overs fell asleep, woke up at 2 when it was lunch didnt want to watch highlights of old ashes so went back to sleep. Had feeling strauss would have a bad one hope he dont get too down as we need him in top form.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!
  • edited November 2010
    Got up early for work, about half five, with the intention of watching a bit of the match before going to drive my bus. After watching 3 balls i turned the tv off as i thought i must be jinxing England's batsmen. I'll let you guess which 3 balls i watched!!!!!
  • edited November 2010
    The most frustrating hour of cricket I've ever watched. 

• edited November 2010
    The cricket of my youth was so much better. Real people. The lord of all, Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards played for my county, Somerset ! Life was good, Big bird too. I dunno whether it's me getting older but cricket sux now. Wonder what Giddens thinx ? Shane Warne was the last of a line of heroes. Can't get excited anymore. Hope Australia batter us ! Where is the true heir of Botham to make English cricket interesting again ?
    Zumerzet la lal lal la !
  • edited November 2010
    The cricket of my youth was so much better. Real people. The lord of all, Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards played for my county, Somerset ! Life was good, Big bird too. I dunno whether it's me getting older but cricket sux now. Wonder what Giddens thinx ? Shane Warne was the last of a line of heroes. Can't get excited anymore. Hope Australia batter us ! Where is the true heir of Botham to make English cricket interesting again ? Zumerzet la lal lal la !
    Posted by shelski

Everything's always better in the "good old days" with rose-tinted specs on.

I'm not denigrating cricket in the past, I'm sure it was thrilling for those who were lucky enough to have seen it at the time.

But cricket today is in the rudest health of it's life, and it's only going to get bigger and better.

We now have three forms of the game being played at international level, the newest of which is encouraging many countries who would never have even glanced at cricket before, the chance to quickly latch onto what can be a very complex, multi-layered and time-consuming sport. Watch out for the Chinese by 2020 - yes cricket's best years are ahead, and it will be fascinating to see its further evolution.

But back to the present, just look at the international test strike rates of players like Sewhag, Gayle, McCullum etc and the innovative counter-measures bowlers and fielding captains have to take to try to combat them. Yes, the bowling doesn't look too bright right now, but we've only just recently lost some pretty special talent in Warne, Muralitharan, Mcgrath, Shoaib, Pollock etc and a new wave is bound to come soon.

On a final note, thank you Strauss and Cook - that was an absolute pleasure watching you with my Aussie housemate last night. COME ON ENGLAND! 8- />
  • edited November 2010
    Great to see a fantastic comeback.For the last 4 nights ive stayed up till 4ish feeling it now though lol.
  • edited November 2010

Some of the test cricket I have watched recently has been really depressing.

Thinking mainly of the West Indies v Sri Lanka series on Eurosport. West Indies opening bowler/captain, runs up and bowls line and length at 77 mph and bowls 30 overs a day, with 14 over spells. This isn't good to watch.

I think West Indies are a big part of international cricket, they're tradition is all about flair, FAST bowlers, expansive batsmen. Players like Darren Sammy are making a mockery of test cricket.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Also, the state of Pakistani cricket is kinda depressing too. 

I think Bangladesh aren't far off becoming competitive, and could give test cricket a much needed boost.

But nothing compares to the ashes, even if test cricket was thriving, it's still the biggest event in cricket. And the first 4 days of this series have been enthralling. The first session yesterday (day 3) is the best hour's cricket I've seen since the last ashes series.

Long may it continue !!!

• edited November 2010
    Some of the test cricket I have watched recently has been really depressing. Thinking mainly of the West Indies v Sri Lanka series on Eurosport. West Indies opening bowler/captain, runs up and bowls line and length at 77 mph and bowls 30 overs a day, with 14 over spells. This isn't good to watch. I think West Indies are a big part of international cricket, they're tradition is all about flair, FAST bowlers, expansive batsmen. Players like Darren Sammy are making a mockery of test cricket.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Also, the state of Pakistani cricket is kinda depressing too.  I think Bangladesh aren't far off becoming competitive, and could give test cricket a much needed boost. But nothing compares to the ashes, even if test cricket was thriving, it's still the biggest event in cricket. And the first 4 days of this series have been enthralling. The first session yesterday (day 3) is the best hour's cricket I've seen since the last ashes series. Long may it continue !!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Agree Doh, but it's a sad fact that the West Indies are no longer the standard bearers of test cricket and have been the poor relations for some time.

However, if you look at the top four teams of the last decade - Aus, SA, Eng and Ind (with SL not far behind and of course some mercurial performances from those Pakistanis) - I'm sure you'll agree that we've been lucky enough to witness a lot of brilliant and enthralling test cricket over that time.

As you say - long may it continue! 8- />
  • edited November 2010
    Do they all get shots each to take the egg cup , Sorry the trophy/cup home to sit prize place on their mantle if they get it ?
  • edited December 2010
     : -1 Everything's always better in the "good old days" with rose-tinted specs on. I'm not denigrating cricket in the past, I'm sure it was thrilling for those who were lucky enough to have seen it at the time. But cricket today is in the rudest health of it's life, and it's only going to get bigger and better.
    Yeah right man, check these cats. Fearsome.
    CG Greenidge       
    DL Haynes       
    IVA Richards       
    SFAF Bacchus       
    AI Kallicharran       
    CH Lloyd       
    DL Murray       
    MD Marshall       
    AME Roberts       
    MA Holding       
    J Garner
    This is not rose tinted this was amazing.
  • edited December 2010

COME ON ENGLAND
  • edited December 2010
    That bowling attack was sick. You could bowl 6 bouncers if you liked back in " the good old days ".  If i remember rightly Holding was called whispering death but Marshall was quicker. I can never see it being that good again, sorry man. That rule should be returned immediately. Get the fear factor back.
    Maybe i'm getting old but the england these guys battered mercilessly, literally, were real characters. Heroes. These guys today have nothing to think about.
    Just baby-faced , boring, soul-less creeps
    Bunch of nobodies
    Flintoff was nearly good.
    Wonder what Giddens thinx ?