You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best Poker book you have read?

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat

Sadly i will have to leave this site for 4months as i am off to Afghanistan, I am looking to buy some good poker books to read whilst i am out there when i have some free time, can anyone recommend any?

Thanks very much

Michael

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I find Gus Hansen's 'Every Hand Revealed' really interesting. It's not a teach you poker type of book, it's a discussion of every hand in played in a tournament he went on to win (the thinking behind his play).

Good luck out there, keep safe.

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Best Poker book you have read?:
    I find Gus Hansen's 'Every Hand Revealed' really interesting. It's not a teach you poker type of book, it's a discussion of every hand in played in a tournament he went on to win (the thinking behind his play). Good luck out there, keep safe.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Hey thanks mate, sadly i have already read this book, (got it as a present last christmas), But i totall agree an excellent book!
  • edited November 2010
    If you like online tourneys then 'Winning Poker Tournaments' by Rizen, Apestyles, and Pearljammer are excellent, you need to buy volumes I and II. I couldn't play poker for 7 weeks recently while I was away so I took these books with me, since I returned my results have definitely improved.
  • edited November 2010
    Phil Gordon has a couple of good books out, one called "The little green book" and the other "The little blue book"

The green book i found most useful for poker strategy and general understanding of the game, so i'd try that one first, if you like it then have a look at the blue one which is more about hand analysis over big pots and decisions he has made over his career
  • edited November 2010
    Books to 'learn' from don't tend to be that good to read, for entertainment value I'd recommend:

"For Richer For Poorer" - Vicky Coren
    "The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King" - Michael Craig
    "The Man behind the Shades: The Rise and Fall of Stuey 'The Kid' Ungar" - Dalla Nolan

Obviously you'll read descriptions before thinking about buying anything so I don't need to clutter up the thread too much, so I'll just leave it as those being my 'entertainment' poker reads.

• edited November 2010
    You a soldier?
  • edited November 2010
    yeah i am buddy, hope i dont offend you with what i do like?
  • edited November 2010
    Ofc not! The exact opposite. I have absolute respect for every single person that serves this country in the armed forces. You are the best and the bravest. 

If you need/want any poker advice etc...... PM me.

And take care in Afghanistan. 
  • edited November 2010
    Ofc not! The exact opposite. I have absolute respect for every single person that serves this country in the armed forces. You are the best and the bravest.  If you need/want any poker advice etc...... PM me. And take care in Afghanistan. 
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Thankyou very much pal, thats very nice of you, i sincerely appreciate your kind gesture, no doubt i will be in touch mate, haha - i dont suppose you could PM me your details so i could add you on facebook do you?

Again many thanks!

Michael
  • edited November 2010
    Keep safe in afghanistan mick you do a fantastic job.
  • edited November 2010
    Keep safe in afghanistan mick you do a fantastic job.
    Posted by slaverchop
    Thankyou all guys for your continued support to the armed forces! Many thanks!
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    Good Luck out there,

Try the "Harington On Hold'em" trilogy.  Very educational 

ALso for a good read,  "Devil Fish"