You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournament bankroll management?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Hi all just a quick question. If I have 25 buy-ins for a tournament am I playing within my bankroll level or dose it need to be 30 buy-ins?

Dai

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I think you will find it is 2% of your bankroll,BUT if you are already good at cashing in them consistently then it can be alot less,xxx
  • edited November 2010
    for MTT your roll should be a min of 100 buyins.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankroll management?:
    for MTT your roll should be a min of 100 buyins.
    Posted by freechips1
    I think that would depend on the STANDARD of tournys you intend to enter,xxx
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankroll management?:
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankroll management? : I think that would depend on the STANDARD of tournys you intend to enter,xxx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    agreed for sure

if you're entering regularly the MEs or other high buyin, high runner tournaments- you need a lot of buyins. I don't think you need anywhere near as many if you're playing the lower stake BHs (even the 11 9.30 is a fairly safe bet as tournaments go).

Provided you feel confident enough in your game, at lower stakes, 30 buyins should be ample (IMO). If you play the BHs, 20 would probably do since you'll get at least your entrance fee back in a huge amount of them. But if you play MEs on sky, 50+? I think the game on sky is still soft enough that a br of 1000 playing MEs only would hold itself afloat.
  • edited November 2010
    it depends of course on your tolerance of risk. If you are playing for fun and can tolerate say a 5-10% chance of going bust then 30 buyins would be fine. If you treat your bankroll as your livelihood then you shouldnt tolerate the same level of risk. 

Incidentally I can recommend a book called Fortune's Formula by William Poundstone that covers this topic in a very entertaining way. I heard Phil Laak talk about it on TV and that was good enough for me.
    If you start with a gambling proposition in which you have a known edge, Kelly's Criterion can be used to calculate the proportion of your bankroll you should risk in each game