You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's the odds?

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi 1st post so be gentle. lol
What are the odds of AK and AA on a 6 handed table pre flop? I've hunted and cant find the answer. What I do know is I've met the AA 3 times in 4 touneys on the same day. Managed to dodge one but got done in the others.
What was galling was these were the only hands I'd had and I'd played SOOOO tight, and still got busted out.

Thanks TK. By the way I've learnt loads by watching 865. No limping in for me!!!

Comments

• edited November 2010
    AA v Ak, the AA are a 91.95% favourite
  • edited November 2010
    No. Not who is favourite. What are the odds of these 2 hands being on the same table.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: What's the odds?:
    No. Not who is favourite. What are the odds of these 2 hands being on the same table.
    Posted by Mikey2216
    Ahhh, with you, merenovice will no doubt work it out for you :)
  • edited November 2010
    The probability of AA & AK being dealt on a six handed table is 4/52*3/51*2/50*4/49*2*30 which is approximately 0.0009.

This is equivalent to odds of 1127 to 1.

• edited November 2010
    Thanks for that!

That's sort of what I thought.
    To meet that 3x in quick successsion is pretty unlucky but then I seem to be going through that stage where if there is a one outer for my opponant he gets it and if there are 15 for me I dont. Hey ho!
  • edited November 2010
    Out of interest "Merenovice" can you explain the maths as looking at it the 4/49 * 2*30 are losing me.
  • edited November 2010
    The 4/52*3/51*2/50*4/49*2*30 is derived as follows:

When dealing the first card, 4 of 52 cards are aces
    Then to deal this player another ace, 3 of 51 cards are aces

To deal the second player AK:
    The first card is 1 of 2 remaining aces in 50 cards
    The second card is 1 of 4 kings in 49 cards

The second player could also be dealt KA so this is why it is multiplied by 2.

This would give the probability of 2 players Heads Up being dealt AA & AK.

There are 30 different ways of dealing two hands to 6 players, so you multiply this by 30 to get the probability of it happening on a 6 handed table.
  • edited November 2010
    The probability of you being a pink oboe player Vince?.........

got to be long odds-on, no offers, etc.
  • edited November 2010
    OK. I sort of understand the 1st bit. Explain the 30 different ways bit please. Much appreciated by the way.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to What's the odds?:
    Hi 1st post so be gentle. lol What are the odds of AK and AA on a 6 handed table pre flop? I've hunted and cant find the answer. What I do know is I've met the AA 3 times in 4 touneys on the same day. Managed to dodge one but got done in the others. What was galling was these were the only hands I'd had and I'd played SOOOO tight, and still got busted out. Thanks TK. By the way I've learnt loads by watching 865. No limping in for me!!!
    Posted by Mikey2216
    HI and welcome
    The first hour of any tourney is critical. first hour play AA with caution if you shove all in you will get called by a chancer and he will hit, best to raise pre-flob then raise when flop drops no-matter what drops. if he calls try and check to river if he shoves he has more then likerly hit flush or two pair. you have plenty of time to get your chips back, try to show you had AA and nxt time you raise he will fold, your plan should be to get past the first hour so you can play real poker against  good players. some might not agree with this but hay we all have our own game. good luck
  • edited November 2010
    OK. I sort of understand the 1st bit. Explain the 30 different ways bit please. Much appreciated by the way.
    Posted by Mikey2216

No problem.

Mathematically speaking, 30 is the number of permutations (as opposed to combinations) of 2 from 6.
    With permutations, the order of the two events matters, with combinations the order is irrelevant.

Let's call the six players at the table A, B, C, D, E & F.

Then player A can have the aces and player B can have the ace & king etc.
    The following permutations are possible:

AB AC AD AE AF BC BD BE BF CD CE CF DE DF EF
    BA CA DA EA FA CB DB EB FB DC EC FC ED FD FE

That is 30 permutations in all.

There is a relatively simple mathematical formula for working this out for any numbers. Any spreadsheet will also provide permutation and combination functions.

Here endeth the (maths) lesson.

If you ever want to know more, please feel free to ask.
  • edited November 2010
    Here endeth the lesson........have you heard yourself Vince, you condescending knob.

If you ever need anyone to give you the kicking of your life, please feel free to ask me.
  • edited November 2010
    Vince, you're my hero. ;-)
  • edited November 2010
    Vince, you're my hero. ;-)
    Posted by Machka
    Likewise.  ;-)))
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: What's the odds? : Likewise.  ;-)))
    Posted by MereNovice
    novice I salute you
  • edited November 2010
    Mere,  My Jaw hasn't yet got up from the floor.

Amazing
  • edited November 2010
    you give me a warm feeling on a very cold day mere!!( i think it is the blood trickling out my ears that is causing it)
  • edited November 2010
    There's another way you could look;

If you are dealt AK there are 3 aces left in the pack. So each other individual player at the table has 1/490 (3/50 x 2/49) chance of holding AA, multiply that by the 5 players and you get a 1/98 chance that any one of them is holding AA. 

There is also a 1/98 chance that any other player holds KK.

So with AK in your pocket, on average, you will be dominated by AA or KK pre-flop 1 in every 49 times.
  • edited November 2010

There's another way you could look; If you are dealt AK there are 3 aces left in the pack. So each other individual player at the table has 1/490 (3/50 x 2/49) chance of holding AA, multiply that by the 5 players and you get a 1/98 chance that any one of them is holding AA.  There is also a 1/98 chance that any other player holds KK. So with AK in your pocket, on average, you will be dominated by AA or KK pre-flop 1 in every 49 times.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

3/50*2/49 = 1/408 approx.

Therefore, the odds of someone holding either AA or KK if you hold AK on a 6-seater table are very close to 40 to 1.

See here for more "discussion" relating to this.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: What's the odds? : 3/50*2/49 = 1/408 approx. Therefore, the odds of someone holding either AA or KK if you hold AK on a 6-seater table are very close to 40 to 1 . See here for more "discussion" relating to this.
    Posted by MereNovice
    So it is! Thank-you.
  • edited November 2010
    Thank you all. Specially Merenovice. I understand the maths which is great and the 1 in 40 is going to help my game.
  • edited November 2010
    Math made sexy

Merenovice is having some sort of affair with Carol Vorderman imo

amazing

• edited November 2010
    Math made sexy Merenovice is having some sort of affair with Carol Vorderman imo amazing
    Posted by Neildown
    What are the odds of that?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: What's the odds? : What are the odds of that?
    Posted by Machka
    for Vince's sake I hope its high lol but would prefer Rachel myself !!!!
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: What's the odds? : for Vince's sake I hope its high lol but would prefer Rachel myself !!!!
    Posted by kaymac

I can confirm that I'm a big Rachel Riley fan.