You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

calling light on the button

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Just an example hand here below.

My question is, is it profitable to sometimes call the button light? Of coarse not always. Not even just for flushes, straights, two pairs, but if the opponent shows weakness post flop to steal whats in the pot.

Ok im not just talking about cash either. Say in MTT's too. Posisional play is something im trying really hard to improve at the minute.

Example hand - very loose.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance Small blind £0.05£0.05£34.30 Big blind £0.10£0.15£19.94 Your hole cards32    Fold     Raise £0.20£0.35£16.45The_Don90Call £0.20£0.55£8.02 Fold     Fold    Flop  2310    Bet £0.41£0.96£16.04The_Don90Raise £1.44£2.40£6.58 All-in £16.04£18.44£0.00The_Don90All-in £6.58£25.02£0.00 Unmatched bet £8.43£16.59£8.43 ShowQQ   The_Don90Show32   Turn  5   River  A   The_Don90WinTwo Pairs, 3s and 2s£15.34 £15.34

Comments

• edited December 2010
    32o isn't calling light

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: calling light on the button:
    32o isn't calling light
    Posted by scotty77
    umm

ultra light.
  • edited December 2010
    i think that it is absolutley fine to do this every once in a while as long as your good enough to know where you are, in the example your almost always ahead,if you called with 89 off and the flop comes 9 high how happy are you???? i would not want to use this method very often , but thats because i just love to shove with top pair no kicker..
  • edited December 2010
    If you are going to use the button, raise with any two. Your hitting big here is lucky and you try to justify it by saying I was calling 'in position. If the BB 3 bets to 60p, are you going to call with 2,3 off? Fancy play syndrome is what Dr Mohican diagnoses and a shot of ABC poker is required.
    p.s. the min raise with QQ is pretty awful too.
  • edited December 2010
    You were fine Don, and they guy deserved to lose for min raising qq ;)
  • edited December 2010

just fold giving up your button is allowed when u only have 3 high! however if u have to play then 3bet pre, callin is the worst option

• edited December 2010
    you get to play your button once every 6 hands, pretty sure even the most impatient person can wait a little bit for a suited 3 gapper or something. if you wanted to talk about calling on the button with the intention of making plays postflop its probably best to not post one of you just flopping two pair and posting one where you actually do something funky.

be wary of the blinds when you try this if they like to squeeze alot, although you can jsut backraise 4bet jam which is always fun