You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New poker challenger at Sky..

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat

Hi!

My name is Rachael, I'm new to Sky played roughly 3 sit n go's and enjoyed myself. Not deposited yet as I still have my free £5 to blast away into poker space.

I'm a mum to a gorgous little angel 'Nevaeh' who is 2 on the 29th of July 2011 :)
I'm a student at Uni in Ormskirk.
I'm super friendly and here to win ;)

Hope I see some of you at the tables,

- question: Is it worth depositing a few pennies here?
- question: Anyone think I could make it on the Sky team without depositing? ;)

*mwah*

Comments

• edited December 2010
    in answers to your questions.

It all depends on how you use that fiver. Use it wisley and you need never deposit. Use it bad, you will need to deposit. But everyone has to learn so play what your comfotable. Also i dont know much of your poker background, i may have just said that and your a pro already lol.

Anyways best of luck.
  • edited December 2010
    Ola. welcome to sky.

if you can win without depositing then do it lol and if you got on team sky without depositing, well, that would be some achievement.

good luck.
  • edited December 2010

Welcome,

In answer to your questions, if you can win your 1st few sit n go's you may never need to deposit!  And as far as TSP goes, it may be a struggle to get in the qualifier this time, can't see you being able to play enough what with a lil'un AND uni!!  But no reason as to why you can't be there next time.

Oh, and where the hell is Ormskirk?!!

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky..:
    Welcome, In answer to your questions, if you can win your 1st few sit n go's you may never need to deposit!  And as far as TSP goes, it may be a struggle to get in the qualifier this time, can't see you being able to play enough what with a lil'un AND uni!!  But no reason as to why you can't be there next time. Oh, and where the hell is Ormskirk?!!
    Posted by SHANXTA
    It is somewhere beautiful on the way to the lovely Southport a bit like harry potter - travel by train to get there and when you get there it is secluded with natural countryside and beautifulness...

:)
  • edited December 2010
    in answers to your questions. It all depends on how you use that fiver. Use it wisley and you need never deposit. Use it bad, you will need to deposit. But everyone has to learn so play what your comfotable. Also i dont know much of your poker background, i may have just said that and your a pro already lol. Anyways best of luck.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Not a pro but definately a pro wanna-be ;)

nice advice :)
  • edited December 2010
    Ola. welcome to sky. if you can win without depositing then do it lol and if you got on team sky without depositing, well, that would be some achievement. good luck.
    Posted by hurst05
    I think I'm going to cross my fingers and study poker till numbers are coming out of my ears...

and hopefully them numbers won't be bills...
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : It is somewhere beautiful on the way to the lovely Southport a bit like harry potter - travel by train to get there and when you get there it is secluded with natural countryside and beautifulness... :)
    Posted by crzyrach
    Wow thats like pretty much as far away in the UK as u can get from me, lucky you!!

Gl crushing the sit n go's, and if you want any advice on any hands, post them in the clinic, and you'll normally get spme advice/opinions pretty quick from one of us

( don't listen to Dohhhhhhh thou he's a fish;-) ) - and i have absolutely no doubt he will be on here to introduce himself as soon he's up in the morning, most probably at about 10.30
  • edited December 2010
    what are you studying?
  • edited December 2010
    what are you studying?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Creative Writing and Drama as a Joint Honours...

and poker ;)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : Wow thats like pretty much as far away in the UK as u can get from me, lucky you!! Gl crushing the sit n go's, and if you want any advice on any hands, post them in the clinic, and you'll normally get spme advice/opinions pretty quick from one of us ( don't listen to Dohhhhhhh thou he's a fish;-) ) - and i have absolutely no doubt he will be on here to introduce himself as soon he's up in the morning, most probably at about 10.30
    Posted by SHANXTA
    Only in Ormskirk 3 days a week... Warrington is my home and life...

ahaha, I think I have seen Dohhhhhhh somewhere around the forum but not yet bantered with him...
    ;) he sounds like me though as it is getting late now I doubt I will be able to open my eyes in the morning.
     --- insomniac r us ---

and thanks for the tips, definately going to enjoy Sky Poker, :)
  • edited December 2010
    bankroll management is key.

if you follow strict BRM managment advice then you it is possible never to deposit.

read up on poker blogs/books and folloow the forums/tv channel.  if you have the time to play lots of hands and multi table then yes getting onto TSP is achievable but first you need the roll to do it.

find out whcih form of poker suits you and stick to it. 

if you can afford to deposit and lose it then go for it, however if the money means something to you in the real world then just stick to low limits while you can build up.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : Only in Ormskirk 3 days a week... Warrington is my home and life... ahaha, I think I have seen Dohhhhhhh somewhere around the forum but not yet bantered with him... ;) he sounds like me though as it is getting late now I doubt I will be able to open my eyes in the morning.  --- insomniac r us --- and thanks for the tips , definately going to enjoy Sky Poker, :)
    Posted by crzyrach
    +1

Just read your profile, may i ask it says youve been playing 5 years, with 1 year online, what was the level of play you had before it was online. Online play and Live play can be soo different, i know even with that years experiance online how hard the transistion is. Ive been online 2 years now and only recently ive started to grasp it.
  • edited December 2010
    bankroll management is key. if you follow strict BRM managment advice then you it is possible never to deposit. read up on poker blogs/books and folloow the forums/tv channel.  if you have the time to play lots of hands and multi table then yes getting onto TSP is achievable but first you need the roll to do it. find out whcih form of poker suits you and stick to it.  if you can afford to deposit and lose it then go for it, however if the money means something to you in the real world then just stick to low limits while you can build up.
    Posted by scotty77
    Sound advice here, I have heard of br management and will definately be careful with my chips and play them well,
    atm no limit hold'em is my game and not confident enough to play anything other than micro sngs and possibly micro / freeroll tournaments...

Because I'm poker mad hopefully won't take me long to double or tripple my br of approx 5 dollar to start at the cash tables...

tyvm for your kind words of advice :)
  • edited December 2010
    Double you Money SnGs are perfect for building up bankrolls btw.

The aim of the game is to just be in the top 3 so just sit tight.

If you are starting out with £5 then its gonna be tough to hvae a proper BRM in place, so don't worry so much about that yet. Ideally you'll want to be looking at a level of around 30buy ins for your level of choice.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : +1 Just read your profile, may i ask it says youve been playing 5 years, with 1 year online, what was the level of play you had before it was online. Online play and Live play can be soo different, i know even with that years experiance online how hard the transistion is. Ive been online 2 years now and only recently ive started to grasp it.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Live poker consisted of long weekends hustling with my friends and family - would you believe it?
    I started young I know you shouldn't gamble at 14 but hey it trippled my pocket money ;)
    I like to think I'm a pretty top live player won pub tournies and hoping to move on to bigger things at bigger places with some kind of online winnings - hmmmm

The online transition was smooth tbh, think I had begginers luck although on another site I am minus atm not sure whats happening because I'm plus on another....

Here atm I can only be plus which is good and I'd like to keep it that way. But I guess you are right after a year I'm only at the brink of realising what online poker is all about.
  • edited December 2010
    Double you Money SnGs are perfect for building up bankrolls btw. The aim of the game is to just be in the top 3 so just sit tight. If you are starting out with £5 then its gonna be tough to hvae a proper BRM in place, so don't worry so much about that yet. Ideally you'll want to be looking at a level of around 30buy ins for your level of choice.
    Posted by scotty77
    DYM is exactly what I'm playing ;)

tehe :D
    ....hence the crossing of my fingers for getting somewhere with £5....
  • edited December 2010
    Welcome! I certainly hope you aren't faked out at the tables, or fall victim to image building or elaborate bluffing. :)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : Live poker consisted of long weekends hustling with my friends and family - would you believe it? I started young I know you shouldn't gamble at 14 but hey it trippled my pocket money ;) I like to think I'm a pretty top live player won pub tournies and hoping to move on to bigger things at bigger places with some kind of online winnings - hmmmm The online transition was smooth tbh, think I had begginers luck although on another site I am minus atm not sure whats happening because I'm plus on another.... Here atm I can only be plus which is good and I'd like to keep it that way. But I guess you are right after a year I'm only at the brink of realising what online poker is all about.
    Posted by crzyrach
    Exactly how i started lol.

You seem to be very aware of things from reading what you have put. This is only good for a poker player. I see your willing to learn and sticking to good BRM. So you should be able to go well.

Also the 30p - 60p dyms you can get through folding 99.9% of hands ;)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : Exactly how i started lol. You seem to be very aware of things from reading what you have put. This is only good for a poker player. I see your willing to learn and sticking to good BRM. So you should be able to go well. Also the 30p - 60p dyms you can get through folding 99.9% of hands ;)
    Posted by The_Don90
    and where is the fun in that?... :)

ty for tip :D
  • edited December 2010
    Welcome! I certainly hope you aren't faked out at the tables, or fall victim to image building or elaborate bluffing . :)
    Posted by DannyMcs
    TY :) I hope so too! :D
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : and where is the fun in that?... :) ty for tip :D
    Posted by crzyrach
    it isnt much fun, its why ive so often ended up playing out of my BR so i can fail at my attempts to out-play the better sharks. Which results in me being stuck at the lower stakes for longer.

We shall all get there lol.

I must admit though most of the tips given here are pretty good.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : it isnt much fun, its why ive so often ended up playing out of my BR so i can fail at my attempts to out-play the better sharks. Which results in me being stuck at the lower stakes for longer. We shall all get there lol. I must admit though most of the tips given here are pretty good.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I must admit that if the OP was called crzyKEV then it wouldn't have a single reply yet! :p
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : I must admit that if the OP was called crzyKEV then it wouldn't have a single reply yet! :p
    Posted by scotty77
    true dat. lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. :  Also the 30p - 60p dyms you can get through folding 99.9% of hands ;)
    Posted by The_Don90
    then when you get to £33 and £55 DYM players play 99.9% of hands lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : I must admit that if the OP was called crzyKEV then it wouldn't have a single reply yet! :p
    Posted by scotty77
    haha. well it has been an active thread for between 4 and 5 AM lol  
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : true dat. lol
    Posted by hurst05
    aha, well they dnt call me crzy for nothing ;)

:P nice to meet you al anyway and gl to you all too, I'm off to get a couple of hours....

zzzzz...
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : then when you get to £33 and £55 DYM players play 99.9% of hands lol
    Posted by hurst05
    I was referring to non-dym games once up to this level of BR
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: New poker challenger at Sky.. : Wow thats like pretty much as far away in the UK as u can get from me, lucky you!! Gl crushing the sit n go's, and if you want any advice on any hands, post them in the clinic, and you'll normally get spme advice/opinions pretty quick from one of us ( don't listen to Dohhhhhhh thou he's a fish;-) ) - and i have absolutely no doubt he will be on here to introduce himself as soon he's up in the morning, most probably at about 10.30
    Posted by SHANXTA

You under-estimate me young sir !!!

Aup Rach ;)
  • edited December 2010
    After also starting with £5 on another site a couple of years ago I would suggest making a deposit and skipping the 30/50p DYM's if you already have some poker experience.  Only needs to be something like £20, you can then start at the £1 DYM's were the standard of play is pretty much the same as anything smaller.
    Its going to take forever to build a bank roll at 30/50p DYM's, plus by playing at the £1 level you can make the most of your new player bonus ;).
    I would also have a go at the £1.60 satellites into the £15k GTD Bounty Hunter tournament's, if you get through you only need to knock one person out to take a prize of £11,25 which would be a decent return straight away.

Good Luck

MARK
  • edited December 2010
    i asked for some advice when i first joined sky and got not a single reply, but then im not very pretty.....

all the best at the tables and if you come across me remember i only play AA