You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

STT situation, opinions wanted.

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
 Ok money bubble had just burst and table had become quite aggressive. What  should i do in this situation.BTW i am happy with my decisions and the reasoning for it but would greatly appreciate others opinions for future reference.
hndlkcool Small blind   150.00 150.00 3500.00
Talon Big blind   300.00 450.00 7962.50
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

YOUNG_GUN All-in   3087.50 3537.50 0.00
hndlkcool All-in   3500.00 7037.50 0.00
Talon ?????

Comments

• edited December 2010

Easy call for me. 

Guaranteed to be heads up after this hand either way, and you have a good shot at winning it right here.

Young gun could have any 2 here, Ax, Kx, suited queens, TJ, 56s-9ts + all pairs. 

The call from the sb is gonna be alot stronger hand, but you're jacks still crush this range of hands.

With stack sizes, you're freerolling ftw - with 2nd place and still a reasonable stack heads up guaranteed, barring some freak split pot occurance.

CALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• edited December 2010
    No reason not to call here with your stack size, everyone is in the money and now all the points awarded are the same so i'm betting they are shovin with any 2 at this stage.

Get it in for the win.  
  • edited December 2010
     Sorry if not made clear. 10 seater STT prizes £4 third
                                                                     £6 second
                                                                    £10 winner.

So although in the money at this point there is still moving up through the prize structure.If this were a dym i would call in this spot with ATC.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: STT situation, opinions wanted.:
     Sorry if not made clear. 10 seater STT prizes £4 third                                                                  £6 second                                                                 £10 winner.    So although in the money at this point there is still moving up through the prize structure.If this were a dym i would call in this spot with ATC.
    Posted by Talon
    Now you tell us lol.

In that case i'm deffo folding and picking up a better money prize, and with your stack size a fold here will still leave you in a great position heads up.
  • edited December 2010
    I said at the time I would have made the call when you said you had jacks. There was a lot of evidence in the previous hands that suggested you were going to be way ahead and that it was even going to be unlikely you had to dodge all 3 of the overcards.  Both had shown they were capable of shoving and calling with hands like A8, QT, 98, A4 so it would have been terribly unlucky if this was the one time they had legitimate hands.

However saying that, I see a good reason to fold too if you feel your the better player and can win with your current stack against either of the opponents without taking a "gamble". I've done it myself in MTTs where I have folded AK QQ when I have been chipleader and didn't want to risk giving away a good proportion of my lead with a coin flip.

And I have to say I felt that you were playing better* and were more than capable of winning it heads up against either opponent. So it wasn't a terrible fold either.

*no disrespect to Young_Gun or hndlkool 
  • edited December 2010
    Snap fold.

Let's revise the prize pool.  Everyone has won 4 pound so now it's 6 pound to 1st, 2 to 2nd and nothing for 3rd.  You have over half the chips in play therefore you have over 50% equity in winning 1st (your ICM equity is around 3.5 pounds or so off the top of my head).  If you fold your equity for 1st drops by a fraction and you become either a guarantee or nearly locked onto at least 2nd.

Now if you call I would estimate your chances of winning the hand and therefore 1st is 40%-45% (not using stove and in my opinion being generous in your favour).  So that's 40 odd percent chance to win first against an over 50% equity to win first and practically locking up 2nd (chops aside) by folding.

As I said, snap fold.
  • edited December 2010

I am folding because i am virtually gtd 2nd place (unless the other 2 split)

Then i can be even stacked for HU.

I disagree with Dohhhhhhh:) 

• edited December 2010
    I snap call here to one shove, but with two all-ins before my turn to act I fold (then I kick myself if they both show AK).
  • edited December 2010
    glad he folded as i would have came 3rd as had less chips then villain he would have hit set i forget what i had think i had low ace,  im calling everyday here with us two loosey gooseys shoving and ur chipstack

still he crushed me heads up i was overly aggressive to say the least :p
  • edited December 2010
    guess other persons hand anyone?
  • edited December 2010
     For what its worth my thoughts went on the line of.

If i fold i am liable to be heads up with slightly over half the chips in play so would be in a good position to go on and win.
      If i call i am likely to be up against 2 or more overcards and therefore have less than 50% chance of winning so am not in a great position. If i call and win i end it there and then but if i call and lose i will go into HU with a 3 to 1 chip deficit.

With this reasoning i folded what would have been the winning hand with the board ending up J high. I am still certain i made the right decision to fold even when the cards were turned over to reveal a rag Ace and a rag King. Was nice to here some of the opinions that people had and thank you for your feedback.
  • edited December 2010
    nice reasoning there colin, tbh i was suprised i was slightly ahead against the other person after he called, even more so by this fold. although after your reasoning good fold and even though we were pretty even u still won so makes this fold even better :) well played mate