You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Shallow stacked HU & **Nash eq. chart discussion**

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
HU with top pair and A Kicker and 2 under cards on the flop, i'm shovin

Villains calling range here could be enormous - He could easily call you here with a small pair or 2 pictures as the flops not scaring anyone. If he's hit the set 7s or 3s then so be it - shove for the win.

I think if you check or lead weak here the only thing you're gonna induce is heartache lol and lets face it we really don't want to see a picture on the turn do we?

Personally HU with this hand I would have probably shoved pre as I would'nt be happy to see a K, Q or J high flop having committed myself to the hand with a 3 bet.

As played i'm shovin on the flop.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    It's a sit and go.

Player has been really aggressive, opening alot of buttons, and c betting most flops. Although he has checked behind a few times, he c bets more than he checks. 

We only have 20 big blinds at this stage, so his play confused me abit.

Blinds 25/50, stacks - 1k/1k.

Villain opens button to 100, I 3 bet to 400 with ACE TEN (committing myself to the hand obviously) - Is this a mistake with the stacks? - Should I just be shoving here as a rule? - I felt he could 4 bet shove on me with worse than what I had - and with the stacks, and heads up - ACE TEN is pretty huge.

Anyway my opponent FLATS - which I believe is pretty auwful - but what can ya do.....

The flop comes TEN, SEVEN, THREE, rainbow.

There's 800 in the pot, and we have 600 behind.

I'm 100% sure I've got the best hand - the blinds will be going up to 50/100 within the next minute. I want to kill the game here......

What would you do?

Lead weak?
    Check to induce a bet/shove - which would leave him committed to the hand?
    Shove yourself?

(also can anyone link me to any vids/articles/forums that discuss turbo heads up strategy?- Ive got a shove/calling range chart, but I'm abit hit n miss in the early stages) cheerz.

• edited December 2010
    this is why you shove pre or should I say when it comes KQ3fd is why you jam pre. just do whatever you want that involves getting your money in and will convince your oppo to put it in with the widest range possible.
  • edited December 2010

Shove the flop for either a 1400/600 lead or to take it down now. When you're 1400/600 ahead and the blinds reach 100/50 push or fold according to the nash equilibrium charts for an unexploitable game.

• edited December 2010
    As played shove flop
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Shallow stacked HU - can I trap?:
    Shove the flop for either a 1400/600 lead or to take it down now. When you're 1400/600 ahead and the blinds reach 100/50 push or fold according to the nash equilibrium charts for an unexploitable game.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I've just spent half an hour reading up on this.

It could destroy me, because what I understand from it, is that it only works if the other guy is playing the same strategy, (is pretty clued up on what he should and shouldn't be shoving/calling with)

Calling a 20xbb shove in the £5/10/20 HU turbo games on sky with King 9 suited, is not gonna be a winning strategy, EVER! 

Also, shoving 20xbb + with 8-6 suited???

I'm not sure I understand, why would you ever open-shove with 20 big blinds? If it's with a hand like 8-6, the risk reward is really not worth it. 

If it's with pocket aces/kings, I'm gonna be missing huge value.

It's probably a long-shot, but has anyone got any experience using this chart to base their strategy on in fast paced HU games? - any tips?

And against a guy you have as a big fish, (overly aggressive, or too tight), do you just not bother with it at all, and back yourself to find a spot which is likely to give you a big edge rather than a slight edge in the game?

Is it always shove/fold once we are below 20 big blinds??? Can we never limp, raise fold, or raise call????

• edited December 2010
    The Nash chart is unexploitable when you find yourself in a short stacked shove/fold battle, if your opponent plays looser or tighter than the chart you will have an edge.

That's not to say the chart should always be used from 20BB down. For example some timid opponents might fold just as often to small raises as they do to shoves, or they might keep letting you complete from the SB without punishment. Against most opponents I'm not going to suddenly shove with 86s as soon as I'm down to 20BB, it depends on the opponent and the situation. Another thing to consider is that in the heat of the battle you won't have time to keep looking up where every single hand stands on the chart, you should be using the charts to train yourself to instinctively know whether to shove or fold without having to make awkward calculations in a few seconds. The charts are a good tool for reviewing crucial HU decisions after a tournament.

If you have an iPhone there's a great little app based on Nash called HU trainer, all it does is keep giving you random cards and stack sizes and you have to guesstimate whether you should shove or fold. The more you practise the better you get, it's handy for when you find yourself on a bus or something and fancy some poker training to pass the time.
  • edited December 2010
    lol this is why sngs and dyms are booooring 

when blinds reach a certain amount you can do things that your opponent has no recourse to. and if he's doing it it's just a massive boring shove fest.