You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet or Check behind

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Whats your move on the river?
oppo seems standard NL4 player, dont recall seeing them min raise pf before but had 2x raised KK pf. 
keysy Big blind  £0.04 £0.04 £1.37
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

Raise  £0.08 £0.12 £5.82
Patching99 Raise  £0.24 £0.36 £4.71
teddy991 Call  £0.24 £0.60 £3.84
keysy Fold     
Call  £0.16 £0.76 £5.66
Flop

• K
  • A

1Check     
Patching99 Bet  £0.60 £1.36 £4.11
teddy991 Fold     
Call  £0.60 £1.96 £5.06
Turn

Check     
Patching99 Bet  £1.52 £3.48 £2.59
1Call  £1.52 £5.00 £3.54
River

• J

Check     
Patching99

Comments

• edited December 2010

U post some tricky spots P.

I would raise more pre, 40p ish (thats such a cop out) lol

No draws missed, you're looking for value from rag aces here.......

I would probably sigh and check. Very sure I got it, but I don't wanna feel sh 1t when he snaps off with strange 2p hands. 

• edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    bet all your chips
  • edited December 2010
    unless you have a specific read on this player this is an obvious bet.

this is the street at which you should be earning the majority of your money (due to pot size) so by not betting in spots like this (vs nl4 players) you will decrease your win rate alot!
  • edited December 2010

thanks for the replies, Dohhh says tricky spot and Lol-raise follows up with ez shove!

My thinking was that after I bet on flop and turn that he most likely had Ax so could easily have 2 pair here so I checked behind.

I defo think I am making a lot of mistakes down the streets and losing loads of cash as a result.

• edited December 2010
    Patching99 Check     
    1Show
    • A

Patching99 Show
    • Q
    • A

Patching99 Win Pair of Aces £4.62  £7.21
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check behind:
    thanks for the replies, Dohhh says tricky spot and Lol-raise follows up with ez shove! My thinking was that after I bet on flop and turn that he most likely had Ax so could easily have 2 pair here so I checked behind. I defo think I am making a lot of mistakes down the streets and losing loads of cash as a result.
    Posted by Patching99
    everyone makes mistakes. u are def losing out on alot of value by playin this hand the way u did imo.

just have a look at the way the villian played his hand - call pre oop, cc flop, cc turn, check river...if he has some sort of 2 pair combo like u suggest he cud have then would he play it this way? the check on the river is a green light to get the rest of your money in the middle. especially at this level.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check behind : everyone makes mistakes. u are def losing out on alot of value by playin this hand the way u did imo. just have a look at the way the villian played his hand - call pre oop, cc flop, cc turn, check river...if he has some sort of 2 pair combo like u suggest he cud have then would he play it this way? the check on the river is a green light to get the rest of your money in the middle. especially at this level.
    Posted by Eagle26
    Cheers Eagle that makes sense,

I didnt really have any reads so guessed he was just typical NL4 calling station and from experience at this level putting all my stack in with top pair doesnt normally have a happy ending.
  • edited December 2010
    Fwiw I would of just shoved the river, or maybe shoved turn.
  • edited December 2010
    Fwiw I would of just shoved the river, or maybe shoved turn.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Cheers Plopper,

You saying I'm nittier than you?!? ;-)
  • edited December 2010
    No i'm king of the nits, just at this level I liked to stop them chasing mad draws...............
  • edited December 2010
    Ha, you keep that perception going!

I have just got my bankroll over £100 for the first time from a low of £10 a couple of months back so gonna start taking shots at NL8 soon, what level you at at the mo?
  • edited December 2010
    Between 8 and 20 depending on my mood ;)

Was at 20nl last night.
  • edited December 2010
    Ha, you keep that perception going! I have just got my bankroll over £100 for the first time from a low of £10 a couple of months back so gonna start taking shots at NL8 soon, what level you at at the mo?
    Posted by Patching99
    Just a little bit of advice from someone who did exactly what you are saying here with £130 in bank roll (twice recently) Save more!!!! Play isnt that much different but losing £8 compared to £4 on some suckout takes it toll alot quicker.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check behind : Just a little bit of advice from someone who did exactly what you are saying here with £130 in bank roll (twice recently) Save more!!!! Play isnt that much different but losing £8 compared to £4 on some suckout takes it toll alot quicker.
    Posted by tapeworm
    Cheers mate, wasn't going to move up completely, just use a BI at NL8 once every now and again whilst still building at NL4. 
  • edited December 2010
    Between 8 and 20 depending on my mood ;) Was at 20nl last night.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Do you mean depending on how much you have had to drink!

Is it much different to the standard down here?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check behind : Do you mean depending on how much you have had to drink! Is it much different to the standard down here?
    Posted by Patching99
    Well ive had some vodka so will peob be at 20nl later ;)

I would say 10 and 20 is a bit harder than 4 and 8, but you still get the nutters at 10 and 20.

I have found at 20 you start to get better and sneakier players.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet or Check behind : Just a little bit of advice from someone who did exactly what you are saying here with £130 in bank roll (twice recently) Save more!!!! Play isnt that much different but losing £8 compared to £4 on some suckout takes it toll alot quicker.
    Posted by tapeworm
    I hope u aint talking about me.

Yea i agree. Playing outwith ur BR hurts.
  • edited December 2010

Having a couple of goes at 8nl with £100 is fine, and I would advise it.

Just be honest and after half hour or so, if it's too hard (unlikely)or you feel too much out of your comfort zone (v.possible) move straight back down.

It's not always about being rolled.

I'm bankrolled to play 4/5 levels above 30nl, where I play nowardays. I've logged thousands of hands at the levels above, and even though I've beaten them befroe over aperiod of time, nowardays when I move up there for a game, I don't feel comfortable anymore, because I'm so used to my normal stakes.

Try it, if u run well at the start, u might settle in straight away.

• edited December 2010
    Having a couple of goes at 8nl with £100 is fine, and I would advise it. Just be honest and after half hour or so, if it's too hard (unlikely)or you feel too much out of your comfort zone (v.possible) move straight back down. It's not always about being rolled. I'm bankrolled to play 4/5 levels above 30nl, where I play nowardays. I've logged thousands of hands at the levels above, and even though I've beaten them befroe over aperiod of time, nowardays when I move up there for a game, I don't feel comfortable anymore, because I'm so used to my normal stakes. Try it, if u run well at the start, u might settle in straight away.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    may i ask will u move back up mate, or will you just stay a NL30 reg?