You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

observing players & betting sequences - range advice

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi Ladies & Gents,

So ive been languishing in the lower levels for quite some time now with my bankroll not doing much but staying stagnant - been up a bit then down a bit etc etc. im playing my premiums hard, and looking for cheap SCs and set mining but all it is doing is building up a little roll for my AA,KK,QQ to get crushed by 32 off........what i mean is i win slowly but lose fast.

I have established that one of my real bad weaknesses is how unobservant I am at times......for example when a player raises min pre UTG who has done nothing but call all game I pay no real attention to it....just see the min raise. then of course find him holding AA/ KK and ive reraised with AQ.

I have also noticed regs at the lower levels will fold to any raises i make unless they can trap me with some sort of set mine or SC.....or of course a starting monsterhand....but of course being an iggronant little so and so i have no real idea what they play with.

So I have stopped multi tabling for a while and am just trying to play one table at a time and make real notes about peoples play. I started of by putting down what they raised or called with either 2x, 3x or 4xBB plus or limped with pre as i thought this would help me build an idea of people ranges.

But to be honest the play at the lower levels is so poor at times, this is going to take too long and its not rreally helping me at a glance. What should i be looking for in betting sequnces.....how do i sucessfully put people on cards - what are good notes to make? appreciate this needs a largish answer so any links to good articles would be great.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    when ever playing poker you should try to be observant as possible. dropping tables as you have is the solution.
    you should remember this for when you move up in limits to. You should spend time playing only 2-4 tables scoping out the regulars the fish, try to establish ranges 3bet frequencies etc as soon as possible as it will save you a lot of time.

try the technique of saying outloud your reason for each action. This way when justifying to yourself your action you will be much less likely to miss a vital peice of info. (this also really helps you play when tilted)

• edited December 2010
    thanks Adam5lad