You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pay out structure - minor places....

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat

7pm £500 gtd tourny last night, for finishing between 10th and 20th, you won £5, in a tourny that cost £5.50 to play. 

In the rake-less BH this afternoon, 10-20th pays £3. For a £5 entry fee.

What do people think about this? - It's abit pointless to play for so long, cash, and lose money??

I prefer top heavy prize pools, but I understand others prefer more places played...

So how about pay top 12? or top 15? But ensure that cashing in a tournament results in a profit?????????????

Opinionz?

(the prizes in the rebuys is really good, even for making a min cash, you 4x your initial buy in) - Can something like this be worked out for normal tournys? 

Comments

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Pay out structure - minor places....:
    7pm £500 gtd tourny last night, for finishing between 10th and 20th, you won £5, in a tourny that cost £5.50 to play.  In the rake-less BH this afternoon, 10-20th pays £3. For a £5 entry fee. What do people think about this? - It's abit pointless to play for so long, cash, and lose money?? I prefer top heavy prize pools, but I understand others prefer more places played... So how about pay top 12? or top 15? But ensure that cashing in a tournament results in a profit????????????? Opinionz? (the prizes in the rebuys is really good, even for making a min cash, you 4x your initial buy in) - Can something like this be worked out for normal tournys? 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    spot on m8....I made the same point a couple of days ago...   saying..  no one wants to just win thier own money back....   I suggested 10 places pay out.
  • edited December 2010
    I think the general thing is that it's usually around 10% of the field that gets paid. I could be wrong but I think that's a fairly universal structure both live & online (bear in mind I've never played live so I could easily be wrong here!).

I don't particularly mind things as they are really. I agree that in many respects it seems a bit pointless but on the other hand if you take a massive chip hit on a cooler just before the bubble then at least you can pretty much get your buy in back.
  • edited December 2010
    Bounty Hunters would be a special case, I believe, since only half of the entrance fees go into the prize pool for placings.
    Anyone cashing is likely to also have scored some bounties so they will make more than their entrance fee.
  • edited December 2010
    Sky have a flawed payout scheme for tournies that get between 100-200 runners.

If theres 101 runners then there are 20 paid.  If there are 199 runners then there are 20 paid.

• edited December 2010
    +1 to this Doh
  • edited December 2010
    "What do people think about this? - It's abit pointless to play for so long, cash, and lose money??"

+1 Doh,      As a minimum cash, I want to cover my buy-in.

"Sky have a flawed payout scheme for tournies that get between 100-200 runners.

If theres 101 runners then there are 20 paid.  If there are 199 runners then there are 20 paid."

Sky need to re-structure the percentage payout table, divided into say 5 or 10 players, that way the number of paid places is better reflected against the number of starting players. (Just like the Satellite structure).

NB: Other sites display a payout table structure (places paid per starters) that is shown prior to tourny.
    That allows you to decide beforehand if it is worth the buy-in, to finish in the lower end of the cash.
  • edited December 2010
    +1 Dohhhhhhhhh
  • edited December 2010
    Bounty Hunters are a special case, but having a min cash the same as the entry fee in a regular tournament can't be right, pay more to fewer IMO.

Scotty makes a very good point, there should obviously be more steps between 100 and 200.
  • edited December 2010

WTH...... you on about doh?

.....Minors should not be playing poker anyway!!!
  • edited December 2010
    + another

As many prizes as possible please but none less than entry unless BH
  • edited December 2010
    That's what you get with top heavy cash pay outs.Either reduce top pay out percentages and spread the wealth or make it even more top heavy by reducing cash pay outs and increase bottom pay out simples.As for number of pay out it does seem strange that in a mostly 6 max game here till you get 50+ runners 5 or less get paid.It has been stated elsewhere who wants to bubble on final table.To me the jumps the more runners you get seem big and strange.
  • edited December 2010

+1 Doh spot on
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Pay out structure - minor places....:
    7pm £500 gtd tourny last night, for finishing between 10th and 20th, you won £5, in a tourny that cost £5.50 to play.  In the rake-less BH this afternoon, 10-20th pays £3. For a £5 entry fee. What do people think about this? - It's abit pointless to play for so long, cash, and lose money?? I prefer top heavy prize pools, but I understand others prefer more places played... So how about pay top 12? or top 15? But ensure that cashing in a tournament results in a profit????????????? Opinionz? (the prizes in the rebuys is really good, even for making a min cash, you 4x your initial buy in) - Can something like this be worked out for normal tournys? 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Good feedback so far guys, 

As some of you have already pointed out, Bounty Hunters are a special case, since the cash pool is halved, therefore there will always be occasions where the bottom pay out tier is less than the original buy-in.

Rebuy tournaments are the opposite extreme, therefore not really a fair comparison, since the no. entrants is fixed, therefore the % payouts are fixed from the off, but the prizepool will often double, resulting in inflated actual payouts across all places compared to a freezeout.

I can't think of a scenario in a regular tournament on Sky Poker where you would ever cash and receive less than the buy-in.

Scotty: the point you make on the levels is a good one, you are correct that currently 100 & 199 runner tournaments both pay top 20.

Since the % paid out is the same, but the prize pool increases with more runners, that means if there are 199 runners then the minor places will get a much bigger actual pay out than a 100 runners for the same tournament. If this tournament had 200 runners then the prize pool would barely increase but the places paid increases to 30, resulting in a lower payout to the minors.

I'll happily review the pay out structures next week, but as always it's a fine balance between paying more places vs bigger % pay outs to less people.

Keep the feedback coming it's always appreciated

Regards

Adam

• edited December 2010
    imo it shouldn't jump from 10 to 20--- much better if it went 14 16 18
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Pay out structure - minor places....:
    imo it shouldn't jump from 10 to 20--- much better if it went 14 16 18
    Posted by oynutter
    +1
  • edited December 2010
    prefer top 6 pay...reaching ft to not get paid is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad imo

xx
  • edited December 2010
    Everytime i've played a 6max tourny of other sites the prize jumps always go up every 6 places (apart from top 6 obv) so if i tourny reached say 150 runners, they would pay 1st - 6th on a sliding scale as normal, and then 7-12th and 13-18th.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Pay out structure - minor places....:
    Everytime i've played a 6max tourny of other sites the prize jumps always go up every 6 places (apart from top 6 obv) so if i tourny reached say 150 runners, they would pay 1st - 6th on a sliding scale as normal, and then 7-12th and 13-18th.
    Posted by SHANXTA
    Fantastico idea