You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Maniacs

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all

I've been playing for around nine months now. An xbox game got me hooked and now I play for a couple of hours every day just for fun and I watch a lot of Sky Poker. I'm not ready to play for real money I'm just here to learn from experienced players.

I've been playing no limit hold'em on a couple of xbox games: Texas Hold'em(Generic online poker) and Red Dead Redemption(Atmospheric cowboy poker). My problem is because its xbox there's not a lot of serious players and loads of maniacs. I'm frequently being bullied off winning hands because players keep making ridiculous pre flop raises with muck e.g half of their chips on the first hand. My strategy is to sit back until I've got something worth calling with and occasionly I'll win the table.

How do I deal with maniacs? Should I just find another table or play limit hold'em?

Liam

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Hi Liam

Firstly, welcome to Sky & welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the only use you'll get from playing in games like these is just getting used to the hand rankings. When there's no money at stake then there's never any incentive to play any other way.

In broad terms the easiest way to deal with maniacs is to sit tight & wait until you've a strong hand. Once you find that hand then you just have to go with it.

If you can then I'd suggest the best way to learn would be to deposit a small amount (maybe even only a tenner to start with) & play some of the cheap games on here. There are sit & go games for only 30p a time & the £2.20 deep stack tournies are great value & a great way to feel your way into real money games.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi mate when you play for real on here i doubt you will see any less maniacs ;o)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Maniacs:
    Hi all I've been playing for around nine months now. An xbox game got me hooked and now I play for a couple of hours every day just for fun and I watch a lot of Sky Poker. I'm not ready to play for real money I'm just here to learn from experienced players. I've been playing no limit hold'em on a couple of xbox games: Texas Hold'em(Generic online poker) and Red Dead Redemption(Atmospheric cowboy poker). My problem is because its xbox there's not a lot of serious players and loads of maniacs. I'm frequently being bullied off winning hands because players keep making ridiculous pre flop raises with muck e.g half of their chips on the first hand. My strategy is to sit back until I've got something worth calling with and occasionly I'll win the table. How do I deal with maniacs? Should I just find another table or play limit hold'em? Liam
    Posted by CherubRock
    Did you get the high roller achv for single player? :)  Good game but yeah its not poker, mostly bingo on there!
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Maniacs:
    Hi all I've been playing for around nine months now. An xbox game got me hooked and now I play for a couple of hours every day just for fun and I watch a lot of Sky Poker. I'm not ready to play for real money I'm just here to learn from experienced players. I've been playing no limit hold'em on a couple of xbox games: Texas Hold'em(Generic online poker) and Red Dead Redemption(Atmospheric cowboy poker). My problem is because its xbox there's not a lot of serious players and loads of maniacs. I'm frequently being bullied off winning hands because players keep making ridiculous pre flop raises with muck e.g half of their chips on the first hand. My strategy is to sit back until I've got something worth calling with and occasionly I'll win the table. How do I deal with maniacs? Should I just find another table or play limit hold'em? Liam
    Posted by CherubRock
    If u play any of the freerolls u will probably find a similar mentality.

As the previous poster says trying the £2.20 deepstacks u will find that generally this type of play decreases (really?). Also with the deepies u start with 5k chips with 12 min blinds so its quite feasable to not play a hand for the 1st hour & gerenally the "maniacs" as you put it, have been eliminated by then.

welcome to the tables

Saying the above the freerolls still do offer something if you bear in mind that the "maniac mentality" will be prevailant for the first hour or so. Can be combatted by only playing monster hands & playing them strongly - ditch everything else (even AQ/AJ in my opinion)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Maniacs:
    In Response to Maniacs : Did you get the high roller achv for single player? :)  Good game but yeah its not poker, mostly bingo on there!
    Posted by SALT1R3
    I think I've got it, is that the one for winning when the blinds are maxed out?

Thanks for your tips everyone. I'm very tempted to start playing some low stakes games and tournaments.
  • edited December 2010
    If you play micro stakes just play tight and bet out well with your good hands and you won't go too far wrong.

gl.
  • edited December 2010
    It sounds just like Facebook poker where I started, I recommend you pluck up the courage and transition to real money when you can. I put it off for ages but when I came across I wondered why I'd waited so long. Most of the advice you see on ch865 is of little use in crazy play money games. I guarantee you'll find the game on the real money tables much more sensible and far more enjoyable. Also when you do get a win (particularly your first) it'll feel so much better, you'll never want to go back.
  • edited December 2010
    I'd say give the freerolls a go.  If you cash in a couple then have a go at the 30p double your moneys. 
  • edited December 2010
    Hi Cherubrock welcome to the forums - I also started on Xbox THE poker. You are much better of in my opinion of depositing on a cash site sooner rather than later (just a little at first of course - £20 should do). reason is that you will pick up alot of bad habits on xbox/FB that do not transfer well to real life poker.

Just make sure you only play the lowest level for your bank roll - dont get dishaertned with any bad beats (you get maniacs on 4nl.....just not as nuts as for play money!!) - and post alot of hands on here - community is great here and will help you a load. GL mate
  • edited December 2010
    Great advice guys. I've got some free money for joining so I'm going to give it a shot. I've got to get in the right mind set first though I've had far too much beer this weekend.