You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this call?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ok this hand is usually standard. However theres history mixed with being Final table bubble.

The opponent has shoved 5 out of the last 10 hands in similar fassion. Everytime ive folded. To the extent i was almost deciding to limp or fold unless i had a moster. Then i pick up AQ. I raise to 3000 x2BB as usual and the opponent shoves again.

What to do???

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance Small blind 500.00500.0035321.76 Big blind 1000.001500.0017402.40 Your hole cardsQA   The_Don90Raise 3000.004500.0030881.66 All-in 35321.7639821.760.00 Fold    The_Don90????????

Comments

• edited December 2010

im gonna take a stab at this, although i hardley ever play MTTs so im probably way off. looking at the stacks and where you are in the tourney according to your info in your post surley you have to call this to get a chance of being a serious contender on the final table?

If hes shoving 50% of the time thats a hell of alot of times he has less than what you do, even if hes only doing this with Ax you have all but one hand crushed and a coin flip for a load of PPs. This coupled by the fact you are about to either make the final table and some really good cash outs........means to me call - you win and you have a good chance of going even further on the final table.....fold and you have just shortned your chances of even making it, and if you do are you going to wait for a better hand to call his shove with...... if so what would that be?

Like I said im probably not the best person to be giving advice on this and the other guys & gals will have a better take......but in my eyes you gotta, the risk reward is too good to turn down.

• edited December 2010
    its not ideal  calling it off 33bb deep but your way ahead nearly all the time but chances are you wont be a big fav, if i was you i would make my decision before i opened, snap call him or shove pre so im never open folding here with AQ 3 handed
  • edited December 2010
    Sounds like he is shoving with almost any hand so its a must call in my view. Ok. So he probablly will turn over aces this time but that is just a risk you have to take or even if he turns over less and outdraws you so be it you cant keep folding to a shove monkey!
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, if your read is strong enough that his range is the top 50% of all hands you have 62% equity, so if you want to win this tournament it's time to call and pray. A lot of nitty players would fold their way to the final table in this situation (and your opponent knows it), but I think I'd go for it here and hope to see a weaker ace.
  • edited December 2010
    I would fold this. A bit of a nit me. Based on stack sizes the player who folds is approaching 10 BB. Why enter a race with the villain at best or dominated at worst and allow the short stack to fold his way in to the final table. I would either wait for a better spot to take on the villain or the shorty.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: is this call?:
    I would fold this. A bit of a nit me. Based on stack sizes the player who folds is approaching 10 BB. Why enter a race with the villain at best or dominated at worst and allow the short stack to fold his way in to the final table. I would either wait for a better spot to take on the villain or the shorty.
    Posted by jake13
    if he's been shoving 50percent of hands I wouldn't be surprised to see a weaker ace here. It's a call all day long.