You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

when is the right time to deal

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic

I was heads up in a 55dollar tourney yday and my opponent asked if i wanted to deal

we were level in chips, so would have been pretty even split.

1st 1207 dollars
2nd 770

if we split 988 each

because i felt i was better i decided against, and my A9 lost to his Q9 3 hands later

I cant help thinking now in terms of bankroll i lost out on 200 dollars by splitting, but at te time i thought it was right to play straight up

Comments

• edited December 2010
    if its a huge chunk of your bankroll making a chip count deal is probably best
  • edited December 2010
    well done for making it that far, as for your question i would probaly say no to the deal as you have a 50% of winning 1st place. the only time i have ever tried to make a deal on a final table is if im short stacked with 4 or more players left as my chances of winning will be far less.
  • edited December 2010

I would go for the deal unless the guy is a donk.

You said you had an edge on him, but how big? Did u skope him during the final table at any point?

You could always take the $200 and go play 4x $50, or 8 x $25 HU sng's......Would feel like you are kinda free-rolling, and cut down the variance (you should at least win 1 or 2 out of 8, that way you got more than 2nd wud have paid, but also took a shot at winning alot more than 2nd paid)

I would look to deal all the time in this situation, just gotta get there................

Also, the guy suggesting he wants to deal could be read, as him running abit scared? - Admitting you have the edge, or at least, that he hasn't got an edge. Would this give you the upper hand when it comes to negotiating? Maybe you could eek out an extra 20/30 dollars or somethin?
  • edited December 2010
    im to lazy to deal, my trick is to take ages trying to shuffle then fumble the deck and spray the cards on the table like 52 card pick up them normally some nice person says "hey dont worry mate il do that for you"......
  • edited December 2010
    All depends how many big blinds you have ?

Going off your post A9 vs Q9 i take it the blinds were quite big !
  • edited December 2010
    When should I call a bet or back down???
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: when is the right time to deal:
    When should I call a bet or back down???
    Posted by Slaughter
    Strange place to put this, depends a) whether you have a draw b) do you have a small part of the board and cheap enough to see if you hit again c) if you feel your opponent is weak and you can take the pot away from him, they're are several different factors you need too consider stack sizes, your opponent, your hand and more maybe best to post a complete new thread on this imo

Welcome to the forum btw
  • edited December 2010
    Deal making is great fun, its like a game within a game.  I got to final 4 in a live MTT once, honest.  Anyway, there was talk of a deal, I was shortest stack, with someone else not far in front, then there were 2 big stacks.
    I said, yeh ok, lets split the money 4 ways evenly.  This woman who was actually chip leader, says yeah ok lol, I cdnt believe it, but the other bigger stack says, woah, hang on, he wasnt having it.
    It worked out that I was going to get 3rd place in terms of £ for being the shortest stack, until the other shortstack realised he had more than me.  These negotiations went on for ages, was hilarious.  In the end, I came away with a deal that was far far more than my chip count.
    Even the dealer came up to me afterwards and said how the f... did u get that through lol, and I saw the other big stack in the cashiers queue, who then told me he regretted the deal but I did his head in that much negotiating that he just accepted.
  • edited December 2010
    yeah i remember there was a deal done in an online tournament when 2 players were left, the guy in 2nd agreed to get $10k when 2nd place prize money was actually higher at ~ $10,500
  • edited December 2010
    yeah i remember there was a deal done in an online tournament when 2 players were left, the guy in 2nd agreed to get $10k when 2nd place prize money was actually higher at ~ $10,500
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    You have got to be kidding me??

How can anyone that stupid even get to that stage of an mtt
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: when is the right time to deal : You have got to be kidding me?? How can anyone that stupid even get to that stage of an mtt
    Posted by OMahonyO

i recently read that some guy also refused a deal which would have given him more money than the first place was.

also make this thread FAO Beaneh :p:(:(:(:(:(

but yeah if the 200$ is a large part of ur BR then I'd be looking at dealing....
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    NODEAL
    Posted by NODEAL
    lol was wandering when you would comment on this thread :p