You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another Deep Stack Question..... What is the value in playing a 40+ deepstack wich only pays to 5th

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I hope this is not too stupid a question!  I just wondered what everyones thoughts are on playing a DS that only pays to 5th when there are over 40 players..

The main pro I see is that when you make the pay, you get paid well.
The cons are that you have to play a long game well with no silly mistake (like my all in call with 66) and even when you make final table you still not in the money....
Also roi is low (if you include fee + time) unless you place 1st or 2nd.

As a novice who likes DS I now feel I should only play as follows:

No. of players
50 or less - don't play as roi low
50 to 100 - play if paying top 20
100+ - play.

Also wondering why Sky don't set payouts to a more exact percentage of players (or is this normal pay structure for sites?)

Not exact but why not pay top 15% no matter how many entrants?
Obviously final table and 1st/ 2nd get the bulk but I feel if I've beaten 85% of the players, I should at least get my entrance back.

I can understand only paying 1st/2nd only a S&G with just 6 players, but if you multiply the numbers, then a 48 seater should pay top 8, not top 5!

What's you're views? 
Am I mad or does this make sense? 

Comments

• edited December 2010
    the payout structure on Sky is similar to what you'll find on other sites, and in live events
  • edited December 2010

Sky has changed at least 25 things for the better in the last week, having previously left everything the same, or make them worse, for the other 14 months since I joined.

The way things are going, I wouldn't rule out things like "final table paid only" tournaments, no matter how big the field, "30% of players paid" etc etc etc.

Top heavy prize pools, and CHOICE ftw ! :)
  • edited December 2010
    Paying top 10% of players is standard. If you go to 15%, not only does it waterdown the top pay outs, those who just make the cash would be paid out less than the buy in. So you could play for three hours or so in a deepstack and make the money but still not show a profit. So 5 paid in a 40 odd deepie is about right.
  • edited December 2010

There's loads of value, I have a +69% average ROI playing MTTs on Sky (look me up on sharkscope and filter it for scheduled), many others are doing much better than me. I'm more than happy to get stuck into a 49 runner tournament paying 5 places. The key to tournament success is to play for the win (not for the min cash), when you're aiming for 1st place you're not really too bothered how many get paid.

• edited December 2010
    its fine if 30 players that pays 5 thats 1 in 6, for 29 its terrible, only pays three so i tend to ignore the 20-29 runner events, unless im drunk or bored!