You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mentor Idea

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat
MENTOR IDEA - Might get slagged off something rotten with this idea, but I'm fairly new to poker and the sky community so take it easy on me. I've won a tournament with over 50 people in and come in the top 50 quite a few times with starting numbers of 300-500, but have had an idea where you, Tikay, or one of the well known players (Gliterbabe, Gibb etc....I don't know many) could become a mentor of mine and then we can see if I improve over the coming months.

Would just involve the mentor having my table open so they can see my plays now and again and advise where I went wrong and how I could improve my play. Would be very interesting if I started finishing higher in the tournaments. Sky Poker could follow my improvement...or plateau.

Would be like Obi Wan Kenobe and Luke Skywalker....as long as I don't end up finding out that Tikay is my father.

Any thoughts or takers?  ...Come on Tikay, show the world you can train an apprentice up and pass on the your skills.

Comments

• edited December 2010

People(me) would kill to have Tikay as a mentor.

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Mentor Idea:
    People(me) would kill to have Tikay as a mentor.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    hmmm, killing is a bit drastic...I'd go as far as a chinese burn or maybe a cutting quip about someones mother.....does this mean I'm not committed enough for a mentor like Tikay?
  • edited December 2010
    search the web, lots of poker tutors out there.  It is very expensive, $300+ a hour for a decent one.
  • edited December 2010
    search the web, lots of poker tutors out there.  It is very expensive, $300+ a hour for a decent one.
    Posted by freechips1
    $300 an hour to teach me how to win money....Isn't that like wanting a bodyguard but them having to kick the hell out of me first? haha

I just thought it might be an interesting thing for Sky Poker to do and follow the progress of every now and then. I might end up with a wsop bracelet one day :)
  • edited December 2010
    a high/mid stakes cash player will make a very good living, a high stakes reg on skypoker is prob making       >100k PA.  Alot of peeps might say 10 hours in lessons (3k) is money well spent.
  • edited December 2010

I've answered it in "Ask tikay" Mr Haddock.

I'll answer it properly in the morning, I'm a bit tied up right now.

Ignore the doom-mongers!

• edited December 2010
    Sorry if this comes across rude.. But why would someone spend there time and effort improving you as a player when  a) they probably play full-time there-selves and need to be playing alot of hours and winning money consistently. And b) Out of all the players on Sky why should you be number 1 in the list for something like this? Most bizarre post I've ever seen, coach me for free so I can become a winning player whilst you put in all the time and effort. What do we get in return - nothing but I would eventually become a winning player and it would make a great story... Really? Is this the real hustle. PS - I hope this is a level!
    Posted by lJAMESl
    so thats a no then? go on james you must have loads of spare time, LOL.
    just being a bit nosy now, i know it would cost me $300ph to learn how to beat 200nl and i will prob need many, many lessons.  Is there any coaching available for players of your class? say players who norm play $100/200, how much will they be charging? />1k ph?
  • edited December 2010

They're all useless anyway mate, I wouldn't put yourself through it.

I will pay you £20 an hour if you let me coach you though.
  • edited December 2010
    Not rude in the slightest James. Good to hear feedback.

a) I'm thinking the idea is for someone who isn't as busy as you say and can spare the odd 5 minutes to watch a hand or two, or answer an email (I'm not asking for Karate Kid style training where I get taken to the beach to learn the way of poker)

and b) I know there are lots of people on sky poker but i'm guessing maybe I'd be number 1 choice, or at least near the top, for coming up with the idea. Those that say it's stupid or bizarre would maybe go to the bottom of the list :)

Anyway, it's just an idea that might grab someone at sky poker as an interesting thing for them to do and follow, or might simply grab the attention of one of the good players who might like to see if they can teach and have an affect on someone elses poker life. I'm good at lots of other things and am the sort of person that would get great pleasure in seeing if I could teach someone else....who knows, out of all the great players on here there mighht be one that thinks 'yeah, lets give it a go for a while' .....maybe even tikay himself :)

• edited December 2010
    I'm sure there's plenty on training sites but like you said it comes at a price. Coaching isn't for me I don't have the time and I'm too impatient. The thing is with coaching is you can't guarantee results either, Its down to yourself really and how you think and process thoughts as a person. 

Human beings have a thing of going back to old and bad habits a simple example would be smoking my uncle quits then he starts smoking again then he quits then he starts up again.. 
    I've coached friends in the past they instantly improved and for a while were so much better players but they went back to old habits. Only one person I've ever taught has listened and improved there game over time and he is a very good winning player but that's because he is intelligent and has learnt how to think differently, not many people can do that.
  • edited December 2010
    a high/mid stakes cash player will make a very good living, a high stakes reg on skypoker is prob making       >100k PA.  Alot of peeps might say 10 hours in lessons (3k) is money well spent.
    Posted by freechips1
    Really???
  • edited December 2010
    James - my mind is like warm intelligent putty, ready to mold :)

Thanks for that reply, I understand what you're saying. For me personally I'm an intelligent and fast learner, it's just some of the poker tactics that having someone point out would soon sort out my game. When I watch the good players play they bet on hands I wouldn't, raise more often and bigger, and all know what is the correct thing to do, when and from what position.

I feel like a ninja who just needs to be told where the throwing-star cupboard is :)

(i'm in the £5,000 Open that started at 8pm. It's 9.22pm and i'm 10th...not bad for karate kid)

lol, just finished that sentence and went all in, my suited  AK against 10's....i'm now 105th, haha
  • edited December 2010
    I looked on amazon last night and the reccomended books aren,t cheap (about £15 , although £30+ on ebay)

So I downloaded 30 e-books in one go for free

i,ve only read a few pages of one, and already i,m making different plays and thinking differently about each hand to just a few days ago and i,ve been playing about 5 years
  • edited December 2010
    I can in all honest back what James says,

I took on assistance of a player a few months ago. Whenever he wasnt watching i dropped into old habbits. So now im recording my play - visible for all, this way im always thinking until its drilled in.
  • edited December 2010
    Not rude in the slightest James. Good to hear feedback. a) I'm thinking the idea is for someone who isn't as busy as you say and can spare the odd 5 minutes to watch a hand or two, or answer an email (I'm not asking for Karate Kid style training where I get taken to the beach to learn the way of poker) and b) I know there are lots of people on sky poker but i'm guessing maybe I'd be number 1 choice, or at least near the top, for coming up with the idea. Those that say it's stupid or bizarre would maybe go to the bottom of the list :) Anyway, it's just an idea that might grab someone at sky poker as an interesting thing for them to do and follow, or might simply grab the attention of one of the good players who might like to see if they can teach and have an affect on someone elses poker life. I'm good at lots of other things and am the sort of person that would get great pleasure in seeing if I could teach someone else....who knows, out of all the great players on here there mighht be one that thinks 'yeah, lets give it a go for a while' .....maybe even tikay himself :)
    Posted by haddockman
    Why dont you just post hands in the clinic? Then you will get advice from all sorts of different players for free!!
  • edited December 2010
    Nice idea...but still think it's a good idea for Sky Poker to be involved with and follow on tv. The Sky Poker Apprentice, lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Mentor Idea:
    MENTOR IDEA - Might get slagged off something rotten with this idea, but I'm fairly new to poker and the sky community so take it easy on me. I've won a tournament with over 50 people in and come in the top 50 quite a few times with starting numbers of 300-500, but have had an idea where you, Tikay, or one of the well known players (Gliterbabe, Gibb etc....I don't know many) could become a mentor of mine and then we can see if I improve over the coming months. Would just involve the mentor having my table open so they can see my plays now and again and advise where I went wrong and how I could improve my play. Would be very interesting if I started finishing higher in the tournaments. Sky Poker could follow my improvement...or plateau. Would be like Obi Wan Kenobe and Luke Skywalker....as long as I don't end up finding out that Tikay is my father. Any thoughts or takers?  ...Come on Tikay, show the world you can train an apprentice up and pass on the your skills.
    Posted by haddockman
    Time, effort, long nights learning the game, watch good online players, read super system, training sites (card runners etc) poker tube, lots of info out there, just put in the time and you will get there........

best of to do it yourself rather than paying anyone to start off with, see where u get.......

Gl

Gibbo

• edited December 2010
    Nice idea...but still think it's a good idea for Sky Poker to be involved with and follow on tv. The Sky Poker Apprentice, lol
    Posted by haddockman
    They have done this already with total player.

A selection of good players were picked and mentored by various experts.

• edited December 2010
    James is spot on tbf. If someone is earning x£ hr why would they want to stop and help you play 4p big blind poker and earn nothing.

Talk through hands with friends, find people who will help you or who are at your level and constantly strive to learn. If you think you've got the hang of the game, take a second and realise you've learnt about 1% of the game.

Pretty much just do the opposite of what you see James doing on 865 and you'll be alreeet :p
  • edited December 2010
    ...maybe this time not pick 'good players' but real newbies. Would be easier to get a difference in skill level and finishing positions.
  • edited December 2010
    ...maybe this time not pick 'good players' but real newbies. Would be easier to get a difference in skill level and finishing positions.
    Posted by haddockman

imo some of the players that were picked had more to teach the 'experts' than the other way around.
  • edited December 2010

Please guys, the fella has asked a fair question, & I'll reply to it as appropriate on the "Ask tikay" thread.
  • edited December 2010
    That was the exact problem, most of the players were better than the mentors were. And the time scale you are talking about Haddock isn't weeks it's months and years I just don't see any benefit to Sky doing this for one player.. no offence but it is a complete waste of time.
    Posted by lJAMESl

I disagree that it's a waste of time it would just have to be done correctly, much of the problem is when people come into poker they think it will be quick to learn, they think once you've learnt the rules/hand strengths you know what you doing etc etc

Unless you really really want to get better you wont, and those who do really really want it can normally do it on their own with their own work ethic. 

some sort of competition where a player gets help from the pool of sky guys during the nights they are contracted to appear on could work well, maybe even have  a league and see who is best at the mentoring!!
  • edited December 2010
    This happened. It was called Total Player. And that had a huge flaw - many of the players selected were miles better poker players than the "experts". If you actually wanted some of the best players on sky to mentor somebody in a total player kind of way, they certainly wouldn't do it for free. 
  • edited December 2010
    I think you should do it Beany, you spend 15 hours a day on the poker clinic sounds like a dream job for you!
  • edited December 2010
    I think you should do it Beany you spend 15 hours a day on the poker clinic sounds like a dream job for you!
    Posted by lJAMESl

1-You complain when I do

2- I get too many PM's now asking for help so i've kinda stopped lol (need smileys grrr!) 

3- All the information you need to beat the lower stakes is already out and about on da internets

4- I'm a massive loser at donkies so why would anyone want ma help obv
  • edited December 2010
    fyl
    Posted by lJAMESl

yup.