You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bounty Hunter tournament - Fold, Call or Shove?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I'd probably shove, prefer them to fold likely they have overs KQ dont like their call utg whatver their hand.

if they have fh gl to them u have alot of outs if they have trips or 2 pair

Comments

• edited December 2010
    This is the first level of a Bounty Hunter tournament. The £10 buy-in means the field should be fairly competant. A search shows that xx is a winning player, he has been fairly active but you have no reliable reads yet. The turn card is favourable and nobody has really shown any strength so far so you decide to put in a bet, player xx check-raises. You have no made hand and zero show down value, but you do have loads of outs.

What would you do next, and why? (poll under hand history)

ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
     Small blind  10.00 10.00 1940.00
     Big blind  20.00 30.00 1740.00
      Your hole cards

xx Call  20.00 50.00 2615.00
     Fold     
     Call  20.00 70.00 1570.00
    You Call  20.00 90.00 2175.00
     Fold     
     Raise  40.00 130.00 1700.00
    xx Call  40.00 170.00 2575.00
     Call  40.00 210.00 1530.00
    You Call  40.00 250.00 2135.00
    Flop

Bet  100.00 350.00 1600.00
    xx Call  100.00 450.00 2475.00
     Fold     
    You Call  100.00 550.00 2035.00
    Turn

Check     
    xx Check     
    You Bet  475.00 1025.00 1560.00
     Fold     
    xx Raise  1225.00 2250.00 1250.00
  • ybyb
    edited December 2010
    lol younggun how on earth can you deduce that its likely they have KQ?!

I'd fold, shoving is terrible as we have 0 fold equity and I don't like calling either as he could easily have one of our draws crushed (and there's a small chance we're already drawing dead). But there's no way I'd get to the turn anyway.

• edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    Kd Qh obviously
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunter tournament - Fold, Call or Shove?:
    lol younggun how on earth can you deduce that its likely they have KQ?! I'd fold, shoving is terrible as we have 0 fold equity and I don't like calling either as he could easily have one of our draws crushed (and there's a small chance we're already drawing dead). But there's no way I'd get to the turn anyway.
    Posted by yb
    huh? This is exactly how I'd play KQ...
  • edited December 2010
    i dont know whether thats a dig as their's been a few but personally looks like overcards to me. KQ could be played like this but as could an ace rag, i just wanted to guess the oppenents hand in this case obviously there is quite a wide range here still but KQ is my example
  • edited December 2010
    i dont know whether thats a dig as their's been a few but personally looks like overcards to me. KQ could be played like this but as could an ace rag, i just wanted to guess the oppenents hand in this case obviously there is quite a wide range here still but KQ is my example
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I do :)

loooooooool, great thread. 

I would have shoved btw, which apparently is the worst option :S oooooops.
  • edited December 2010
    i think what he means is you need to be thinking more on the lines of his entire range not just one specific hand in it
  • edited December 2010
    i think what he means is you need to be thinking more on the lines of his entire range not just one specific hand in it
    Posted by N1CK

I know! lol i was just guessing which i do like to do, but i understand and do use ranges when i play. unless i have super reads :p

JJ shut up fool ur just jealous as you didnt instigate it lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunter tournament - Fold, Call or Shove? : I know! lol i was just guessing which i do like to do, but i understand and do use ranges when i play. unless i have super reads :p JJ shut up fool ur just jealous as you didnt instigate it lol
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    This is where you're going wrong.

He only has 2 cards, stick to trying to figure out what they are.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunter tournament - Fold, Call or Shove? : This is where you're going wrong. He only has 2 cards, stick to trying to figure out what they are.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

lol i cant win :-( depends on player most the time ranges, others specific happy ;-)
  • edited December 2010
    shoving is the worst option because he never folds and we have 4 high and our draws could be absolutely crushed.
  • edited December 2010
    I made a mistake here and called so that I could see the river without risking elimination, planning to fold if I missed. I can see now that's the worst option, with more time to think it through I probably would have shoved. There are very good arguments for folding too, I felt it was a borderline decision, that's why I posted it here.

At the time I immediately put xx on a slowplayed 6, the worst case scenario would be the unlikely 55 or 88 in which case I was already drawing dead, but I think A6 or similar fits his line much better. With so many outs to my straight or flush I should've been happy to get it all-in with another card to come, though I do realise a couple of my outs would actually mean I lose to a full house. A shove is better than a call because it chases out bluffs that are ahead of me at the moment and maybe some of the weaker made hands, A8 for example.

There was another factor that influences my decision, I satellited into this tournament for only £2.40 (if you see me playing in a £10+ event I have nearly always satellited in), I'm now in a situation where I can play safe and fold, but then have to rebuild from 75% of starting stack, or take a gamble which means I'm either going to bust out, wave goodbye to my £2.40 and just move on to the next tournament, or double-up and put myself in a strong position in a £10 tournament as table captain with a fairly reckless image. Taking the gamble and shoving becomes an easy choice for me considering those factors even if it isn't correct mathematically.