You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ARE YOU A BUBBLE BUSTER OR NOT

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat

Hi boys and girls

Whilst playing the £4000 gtd double stack yesterday I had my aces busted and found myself 68th out of 70 players left.  With the top 40 being paid,( and even though I hate doing it) I decided to sit very tight and run the clock down at every opportunity to try and pass the bubble even though it was very early to do so. Now  in other games when I have other players doing the same thing to me it can become very boring and frustrating and I know players get very annoyed at this tactic but on the other hand I have also helped players in this  situation by running the clock down as well, I guess for me it depends on the rapport I have with the player concerned.  So my question is  do you feel sorry for them and help players out  in this situation or do you despise them and can’t wait for them to get knocked out?   ...........oh, and the tactic worked for me cause i ended up winning the damn thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Jeff

Comments

• edited December 2010
    well done!

and don't bother yourself about what others think.  its within the rules and its a that anyone with common sense would use when they need to.
  • edited December 2010

How many big blinds did you have when the bubble popped???

Ive just trebled up first hand of a sat, and ended up busting 10 off the bubble. - Even if I wanted to use these tactics, I'd have no idea when to start.....???? When is the right time to start wasting time? I guess it's something to do with the relationship between your stack and the average stack? - There's probably an optimal time to start????

Nice score, wp.
  • edited December 2010
    Not usually, but when I had a free Primo entry and a min cash would be a good result I did exactly this. I found myself something like 68th/70 with 60 to be paid, I let the timer run down all the way for each fold, I felt really bad but nobody moaned. When the bubble went I was almost out with 3BB, the very next hand as planned I insta-shoved any 2 OOP, I got called by a dominating hand (my K4 vs AK) but I sucked out to double up. From there I went on a run, at one point I had Gliterbabe, Cowgomoo and CoxyLBoro in a row to my left, but somehow I survived and made it to the final table.

In almost all other tournamnents I more or less ignore the bubble, if I spot somebody else using this tactic I just raise any 2 on their BB to get some free chips. Making it over the line from 68/70 while having to wait for 30 eliminations is quite a feat so well done, I'd have been trying to double-up there not minding if I'd busted while trying.
  • edited December 2010
    5 to go unless im short stacked then im afraid its push with any 2 in position.
    Its something ive done a lot with average stack as a bad decision can cost you 5/6 places as the stack sizes are pretty similar.
    Also, felt bad about it but knocked a guy out(on the bubble) when i was in the bb with AJ and chip leader on the table, he was really short stack and pushed, i couldnt not call an extra 320 chips!! he took it well tho. I explained it wouldnt be fair on other players had i folded with only 320 to call and the blinds being 1k/2k.
    It happens alot anyway and as long as there is good banter im happy to slow it down for the short stack chatters
  • edited December 2010
    I too have slowed my play down for the short stackers on my table

Its very rare I slow my own play down so I can beat the bubble in a main event, but I do in satelites as the main aim is to win a seat.

Personally in a main event I would rather play quicker, more hands, more chances of accumulating chips before the short stackers. But sadly that theory doesn't always work lol.
  • edited December 2010
    If you approach the bubble relatively short stacked, then using up the time until the bubble passes is common sense. There are arguments about going for the win etc but they don't always apply. Going for the win means being active and taking some chances, but to have already spent a couple of hours in getting to the bubble, it is wise to sit it out and cash. Once you've cashed, that's the time to be a hero.

I would rather go out early than limp to the money, but once the money is imminent then a few more minutes makes no difference.