You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

mega sick river card facing a massive bet. can you call?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
people think theyve faced some tough decisions, how about this. facing a massive bet on the river which brought an Ace and i hold KK plus flush came on turn, from none other than a member of TSP (cue alot of moaning and groaning) i would liked to display who it was against but i wouldnt wanna give anything away, to make matters worse we are both very deep stacked with over 200 bb's each. yikes.

Now i think me and this player have done a few moves against each other but never tended to see a flop, thered be a decent amount of 3-4-5 betting pre, not only this but i know from recent games and watching hands he has played on TV he makes alot of moves and his ability to put you under tremense prssure is scary. take a look, could you make this call and why???

Hand History #316310199 (17:37 09/12/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
CoxyLboro Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £136.92
hurst05 Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £204.08
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

Villain Raise   £4.00 £5.50 £232.93
EVILEDNA Fold        
stien Fold        
dondon143 Fold        
CoxyLboro Fold        
hurst05 Raise   £12.00 £17.50 £192.08
Villain Call   £9.00 £26.50 £223.93
Flop

hurst05 Bet   £18.00 £44.50 £174.08
Villain Call   £18.00 £62.50 £205.93
Turn

hurst05 Bet   £43.00 £105.50 £131.08
Villain Call   £43.00 £148.50 £162.93
River

• A

hurst05 Check        
Villain All-in   £162.93 £311.43 £0.00
 hurst05   
 ?????        

Comments

• edited December 2010
    looks like a fold.

everything got there.  unless he's turning TT/JJ into a bluff.

i think i'd also bet a bit less turn FWIW.
  • edited December 2010
    if i bet less on the turn am i not just inviting a huge raise there and then? i was very confident i was ahead on the turn and didnt really want to see another card hence the bet size, although saying that i dont think my bet was that big tbh. standard just over 3/4 of the pot.
  • edited December 2010

Fold! He must put you on an A, he likely has flush/2 pairs/set in my books.

• edited December 2010
    i think if you bet a bit less then you give him a bit more FE and he can shove with worse.

having said that i don't think theres anything wrong with it, just nitpicking.
  • edited December 2010
    it's effective 130 into 145 so the bet is standard btw

• edited December 2010
    knowing the oppo (obv i havent revealed who it is) im confident hes calling this 3-bet pre with ALOT of hands especially in position. so any pair although i think he 4-bets with AA so im very confident i have the best of it going in. the board comes a pretty dry board and i c-bet 3/4 pot, he just flats. i think he flats in this spot with numerous hands, if he puts me on AK, AQ, KQ etc he knows im going to bet c-betting this flop. at this point im not putting him on a set (although possible) i believe hes either

a) floating in order to see what i do later down the streets or
    b) he has an over pair to the board and feels his hand maybe good (just flats to control the size of the pot) 

turn:

if he has a set at this point he starts to get the money in the middle, with the flush out on the board with a set hes going to be putting in a hefty re-raise at this stage. so i rule that option out along with 2 pair etc as he would do same. 

river:

would he really have called me down to the end with Ace high? i would be very suprised if this player had called such big bets to the end with Ace high unless he floated the flop and picked up a flush draw with his Ace and felt he had the implied odds to call perhaps? 
  • edited December 2010
    Yes it was me!

I basically put u on aa kk qq.

There was a flush/straight and all sets out and i thought i cud make u fold, as what else wud i shove the river with? I thought it was pretty obv that u knew i knew u ad an overpair thus why wud i shove with anything less.

I wudnt necessarily raise the turn with a set or flush if i think u have an overpair because if i think u can find decent folds on scary boards, i dnt want to scare u away.

when u check river i kno for a fact u av kk.

I dont know 100% what im repping, but i think the range of what im repping was beating 1 pair.

Cool hand and nice call!
  • edited December 2010
    n1 dan for explaining, vul that hursty didnt fold, although i understand why he didnt. Well played both actually!

I think this would make a good poker clinic show tv hand are you reading this mandy?:)

• edited December 2010
    what did Dan have pocket 8s?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: mega sick river card facing a massive bet. can you call?:
    Yes it was me! I basically put u on aa kk qq. There was a flush/straight and all sets out and i thought i cud make u fold, as what else wud i shove the river with? I thought it was pretty obv that u knew i knew u ad an overpair thus why wud i shove with anything less. I wudnt necessarily raise the turn with a set or flush if i think u have an overpair because if i think u can find decent folds on scary boards, i dnt want to scare u away. when u check river i kno for a fact u av kk. I dont know 100% what im repping, but i think the range of what im repping was beating 1 pair. Cool hand and nice call!
    Posted by dantb10
    was just thinking this walking home from a gig actually, (yes im that sad!) i knew you knew what i had, and i knew you knew that i knew you knew what i had. lololol i put you on one of 2 hands, 10's or J's, last thing i expected you to turn over was 8's. unlucky tbh though dan, i was having one of those days where every decision i made was the right one apart from one had with sam1986 in a mere £500 pot lololol wooooops. but believe me i had a box of kleenex next to me for when i called your bet haha (for crying afterwards haha) see you in newcastle if your going.
  • edited December 2010
    Very good read N1ck

VWP Hurst, UL dan

personally i thought Dan had AK or 10/JJ also. very scary bet by Dan on the river cracking call
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: mega sick river card facing a massive bet. can you call?:
    Very good read N1ck VWP Hurst, UL dan personally i thought Dan had AK or 10/JJ also. very scary bet by Dan on the river cracking call
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I cant see Dan calling down flop and turn with AK
  • edited December 2010

Guess this comes down to who knows who the best.  Both seem to have read each other really well and got the reation to each move that they expected (up until the river shove).  I hope one day I can read the play to this level.  WP Guys.