You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What the flip does this river bet mean??

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Villain is a reg at this level & I've played him a few times.

The check/raise on the flop could mean he has the ace but I also know his range here includes plenty of smaller pairs & connectors (suited or not). The turn is a decent card for me & I figured that if he's got an Ax kinda hand then I'd give him a chance to give me some more (unless of course he has something like AJ or A9 in which case I'm paying him off).

The river bet totally stumped me. I had absolutely no idea what it meant. Was he trying to induce a raise from me or is he really weak?

Fwiw, my notes on this player is that he'll call PF raises with hands like connectors & can't let go of 2nd pair.

Is there much value in raising here or is it better to just call?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
villain Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £48.70
 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £20.22
  Your hole cards
  • J

Fold     
 Fold     
silentbob Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £43.25
villain Call  £0.50 £1.40 £48.20
 Fold     
Flop

• J
  • A

villain Check     
silentbob Bet  £0.90 £2.30 £42.35
villain Raise  £2.70 £5.00 £45.50
silentbob Call  £1.80 £6.80 £40.55
Turn

villain Bet  £3.40 £10.20 £42.10
silentbob Call  £3.40 £13.60 £37.15
River

villain Bet  £0.20 £13.80 £41.90
silentbob call or raise??     

Comments

• edited December 2010
    we are 200bb+ deep and if villain is a reg an actually realises this his turn bet should be alot bigger when he has 1pair beat considering we likely hold a strong Ax hand. i would raise/fold the river to about £9.50
  • edited December 2010
    Looks like a sucker bet to me.  Seems he's begging you to raise him.  What value do you get from the raise? If he's got you beat he's shoving after your raise but then again,  if he 'thinks' he's got you beat he's shoving so you get no info.  Call for value
  • edited December 2010
    Very strange bet! you have to call if only for the cheap info you will gain.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What the flip does this river bet mean??:
    we are 200bb+ deep and if villain is a reg an actually realises this his turn bet should be alot bigger when he has 1pair beat considering we likely hold a strong Ax hand. i would raise/fold the river to about £9.50
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I may be missing something here but wouldn't raise/folding be really spewy?
  • edited December 2010
    I reckon make it £5.80 value
  • edited December 2010
    this looks like a weak ace i'd rayse fold for 8-10 squids.
  • edited December 2010
    I can uderstand the raise/fold but only if you have info on the player already.  I think the info you get from flat calling this and seeing his cards so cheap  is of greater value than winning a few more quid from him.
  • edited December 2010
    I can uderstand the raise/fold but only if you have info on the player already.  I think the info you get from flat calling this and seeing his cards so cheap  is of greater value than winning a few more quid from him.
    Posted by Smudgesmit

If he often calls light with 2nd pair likely that you will see his cards anyway, thats why the key is finding the right amount they would call for extra value. If he goes over the top surely he must be very strong here or total bluff so would have to depend on feeling as no reads but still not worth calling 20p imo. try to maximise your profits will make a big difference at the end of the day, if you keep missing value bets you wont profit much.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What the flip does this river bet mean?? : If he often calls light with 2nd pair likely that you will see his cards anyway, thats why the key is finding the right amount they would call for extra value. If he goes over the top surely he must be very strong here or total bluff so would have to depend on feeling as no reads but still not worth calling 20p imo. try to maximise your profits will make a big difference at the end of the day, if you keep missing value bets you wont profit much.
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    sos missread the top bit (Villian is reg player)  Thought there was nothing known about him.  Now agree, if you have the info on him already then raise/fold all day long.

• edited December 2010
    Not sure what it means, but treat these silly little mini bets the same as a check, they're meaningless and can be ignored, just do whatever you would've done if he'd checked.
  • edited December 2010
    Cheers peeps. Like I said, it confused the hell out of me & this is one of the weirdest things I've experienced at the tables. With time running out I ended up just calling (a mistake in hindsight) but I did learn some very valuable information when he flipped over Q 10.