You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fishing

HI, I feel that I should ask this as I know there is much more experienced players out there than me!

I would like to know how to overcome "fishing" players ? - I have tried adjusting a wee bit etc playing tight, playing aggresive and playing normal - but these "fishing" players always win !

Can anyone help me out here ? - How do I overcome them, I know we cannot get rid of them and in all fairness yes they are brave to go for it but it annoys me.

I had a hand once Ace - King suited - Raised preflop 3 x Big Blind, got called of 1 player. I thought to myself due to previous hands etc they were calling with nothing. Flop came Ace, King 9. I put in the bet of 3 x blinds again and I got called but re-raised 3 x - so Obv I called and Re-raised all in. I got called from this player - showed the cards and obv I had Ace, King - other player showed 2 9 off suit - YES 2 9 OFF SUIT

The cards came down in this order, Ace, King, 9, 2, 9

This play was in a £5.50 DYM so its not as if it was a silly tournament - this put me out in 4th place.

I know it has probably happened to whoever is reading this, but can anyone suggest to me what to do as I said ?

Would be great to get some advice if I made the correct betting etc Pre Flop and on the flop ?

Look forward to replies

Sam

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I have one simple tactic against these players. Make a note on them & then actively seek them out to play against them.

I know sometimes it feels like these players always win but believe me, they certainly don't. As long as you keep getting your chips in whilst you're ahead you WILL win a lot more against these players than you'll lose.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Fishing:
    I have one simple tactic against these players. Make a note on them & then actively seek them out to play against them. I know sometimes it feels like these players always win but believe me, they certainly don't. As long as you keep getting your chips in whilst you're ahead you WILL win a lot more against these players than you'll lose.
    Posted by silentbob
    Got to agree tenfold!  I used to be the same.  Sat down started playing and got call, call, call all game long!  Their logic is that if they play enough hands they are going to win some of them!  As long as you can get you chips in ahead of them then in the longrun you are going to beat them.  Don't get upset when they suckout as this actually plays into your favour.  Everytime they suckout increases their believe that they are always going to win and so they play even more hands.  When you have one at your table and you hit a monster hand, try raising a bit more.  You'll be surprised how many of them still call (or even better come over the top of you with 9-2 off).