You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Looking to start playing cash games..... How much br should I start with for 4nl?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Okay, holding my own on S&G and Tournies but not growing my br just breaking even.  Thinking about getting into some serious cash multi tabling but want to make sure I start with enough in my br so I play correctly.  If I'm playing 3 tables at .04nl should I be looking at enough for 100BB per table (£120) or is 200BB overall (£80) enough?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Hi Smudge,

I started with £80 at the very start and lost half of that over about 6 months. Then managed to build it back up once i got a grasp of how to play reasonable for 4p limits.

If youve got £120 i would say its preferable to £80, but I think £80 would do, especially if you are just starting out.
  • edited December 2010
    Hey smudge

The biggest problem your going to have isnt the BR, NL4 is a very different kind of poker. I recommend fully you read guides, watch videos ask people who lplay the limit (the proper players) how it works. If you do this correctly 2BI of 100BB could build you a BR although not recommended.

I started with £40 and done well, i lost it all playing outwith my BR at higher limits and recently built back up from a fiver.

However i really do recommend you take a week to watch the level read up on it etc, before you take it on.

If you need more info give me a pm ill be glad to help, to be honest theres only a few decent/good players down here and another one is always welcome in my book.
  • edited December 2010
    Have 10 - 20 buyins preferably of 100bb a go. be disciplined, play your best at all times and constantly think about every eventuality and everything that you do.

good ruck.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Looking to start playing cash games..... How much br should I start with for 4nl?:
    Hi Smudge, I started with £80 at the very start and lost half of that over about 6 months. Then managed to build it back up once i got a grasp of how to play reasonable for 4p limits. If youve got £120 i would say its preferable to £80, but I think £80 would do, especially if you are just starting out.
    Posted by tapeworm
    cheers Worm.  I have played the cash tables but not seriously and normally only between S&G games (went on last night for 2 x 20 min stints and came of £2 up each time due to silly maniacs going all in with 90p whilst I was holding Hi PPs).  I guess this is not the usual way cash games go but it got me thinking "Why am I spending 1-2 hours on a knock out game just to break even?"  I have been frightened of the cash games in the past due to bad experience (and really bad play by me) on a USA site where I kept sitting at tables and getting bullied which I guess was because I had too little in my br and was always timid when putting my money in the pot.  I now understand that you have to seperate yourself from the value of the cash in your br whilst still being playing correctly.  The old saying "If you can't afford to lose it then don't use it!" comes to mind.  I'll put the lot in my br and try to play as correctly as I can. 

Gonna try looking at it this way: "It cost me £30 quid to buy a certain war symulation game which I got board of after a week. So putting £120 in my br saves me waisting my cash on enough 4 consule games which I will play for a week then forget about."  This way after 5 weeks (providing I don't 'do my nuts') I'm £30 up what ever is in my br!

There's logic in there somewhere!!!!?
  • edited December 2010
    I echo what The Don says.
    I play at this level and it does take a certain mind set and also the discipline not to go on tilt when you have a serious downswing which can easily happen with the type of play that goes on. You WILL get annoyed (and then some!!) at times, but concentrate and you'll be fine. I had KK beaten by 88 all in pre yesterday but managed to grind and recover the losses and a bit more by knuckling down (and getting a few hands of course).
    Play fewer hands and agressive in position and you should be fine , unless you're on my table then play as loose as you like!!
    There was thread by Dohhhhhhh a while back about his recent experience at nl4 (he plays alot higher usually) which was good. If I can find it I'll link it in on this one. Also look on the Clinic and Don's thread of nl4 hands. (I have to do that yet).

Personally if you're 3 tabling I'd go with the £120 with the potential swings you can get, but that's just me.

GL 
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Looking to start playing cash games..... How much br should I start with for 4nl?:
    I echo what The Don says. I play at this level and it does take a certain mind set and also the discipline not to go on tilt when you have a serious downswing which can easily happen with the type of play that goes on. You WILL get annoyed (and then some!!) at times, but concentrate and you'll be fine. I had KK beaten by 88 all in pre yesterday but managed to grind and recover the losses and a bit more by knuckling down (and getting a few hands of course). Play fewer hands and agressive in position and you should be fine , unless you're on my table then play as loose as you like!! There was thread by Dohhhhhhh a while back about his recent experience at nl4 (he plays alot higher usually) which was good. If I can find it I'll link it in on this one. Also look on the Clinic and Don's thread of nl4 hands. (I have to do that yet). Personally if you're 3 tabling I'd go with the £120 with the potential swings you can get, but that's just me. GL 
    Posted by walesboy
    Cheers Walesboy.  I have been watchin g Don's vids I think that's what has got me wanting to play cash......  SO IF I DO MY NUTS IT'S YOUR FAULT DON jk
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Looking to start playing cash games..... How much br should I start with for 4nl? : Cheers Walesboy.  I have been watchin g Don's vids I think that's what has got me wanting to play cash......  SO IF I DO MY NUTS IT'S YOUR FAULT DON jk
    Posted by Smudgesmit
    dont blame the kid, im actually better at MTTs

Anyways my vids are mostly to learn from, i can help players so far but i cant take myself to the next level, so the responces are alot of work from people and instead of one hand they get my session, therefore they pick up mistake i will be missing.
  • edited December 2010

Eye's only joking Don.  I don't intend to do my nuts but even if I do it's me clicking the keys!  Your vids are good learning tools.  I'm glad of them as they've tightend my game no end.

• edited December 2010
    Eye's only joking Don.  I don't intend to do my nuts but even if I do it's me clicking the keys!  Your vids are good learning tools.  I'm glad of them as they've tightend my game no end.
    Posted by Smudgesmit
    glad they can of helped. I will be doing alot of NL4 tomorrow if your about join me on a table ill be more than happy to comment on your play. Quickest way i can help really. BR wise if your comfotable with 10BI which is the best and cheapest way to learn cash then go for that.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to ...:
    Have 10 - 20 buyins preferably of 100bb a go. be disciplined, play your best at all times and constantly think about every eventuality and everything that you do. good ruck.
    Posted by beaneh
    Everything Beneah said. 

I been doing alright until last night, made some stupid undisciplined plays, not using the tiny amount of knowledge I had learnt/experienced over the past few months and bang I was down £14 in about an hour.  No-one to blame apart from myself, hopefully lesson learnt.
  • edited December 2010
    i started with 80 back in april due to a few mtt results and grinding at micro limits iv earned over 1600 since keep having to withdraw so havent been able to play at higher limits comfortably as i like to have at least 50 buy ins the downswings at 4nl are wild and at times very frustrating but if u play well and u sound like u do as beaneh said be disciplined and play your strong hands even stronger  u should make a steady profit at tht level but most of all discipline, discipline, discipline !!!!! gl at the tables
  • edited December 2010
    the most important advice has already been given but it is so important.......no fancy plays, no ego, no nothing at 4p .....just play the cards strong, pick out the weak players (table selection is alot more important than i gave it credit for).

If your at a table where more than half of the players have bought in for the full amount.....your probably on the wrong table, keep looking for those short stacks that are happy to shove every other hand.

Its not exciting poker, its not clever poker....its not really poker.....but its profitable.

Enjoy the grind mate and GL.
  • edited December 2010
    If your at a table where more than half of the players have bought in for the full amount.....your probably on the wrong table, keep looking for those short stacks that are happy to shove every other hand.
    Posted by tapeworm
    Learnt this the hard way the other weekend.  Satdown at a table of shorties who kept restacking just £1.  took 8 off them in no time and EGO sat on my shoulder bigging me up.  Did not notice the 2 guys who were foldeing every hand and restacking from £3.9 to £4..........  Did the 8 I'd won and another 6 before I knew what had happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Now I leave the table once I've doubled up as you become too big a target sat there with over £10 on a £4 table.