You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did I miss value on this pot?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I've played this guy a few times and have noted that he's trapped me twice with AA and AK slow played both and checked rivers.
When he calls my flop bet and checks turn and river my alarm bells rang so I checked because of past experience with him.  Was I playing too safe?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
saxoturbo Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.66
walshysg10 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.71
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

ciderdart Fold     
EvilPrawn1 Fold     
Smudgesmit Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £4.71
XXXCall  £0.16 £0.38 £3.14
saxoturbo Call  £0.14 £0.52 £3.52
walshysg10 Call  £0.12 £0.64 £1.59
Flop

• A

XXX Check     
saxoturbo Check     
walshysg10 Check     
Smudgesmit Bet  £0.64 £1.28 £4.07
XXX Call  £0.64 £1.92 £2.50
saxoturbo Fold     
walshysg10 Fold     
Turn

• J

XXX Check     
Smudgesmit Check     
River

XXX Check     
Smudgesmit Check     
XXX Show
  • A

Smudgesmit Show
  • Q
  • A

Smudgesmit Win Pair of Aces £1.77  £5.84

Comments

• edited December 2010
    yes, bet every street. In cash you want it all in by the river with your bigger hands, and at NL4 ppl will have less of a kicker thatn a Q 99% of the time. They just wont fold tp

if they do hit two pair then gl to them i say
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I miss value on this pot?:
    yes, bet every street. In cash you want it all in by the river with your bigger hands, and at NL4 ppl will have less of a kicker thatn a Q 99% of the time. They just wont fold tp if they do hit two pair then gl to them i say
    Posted by The_Don90
    Thanks Don.  Usually would just thought he normally plays tighter than this and because he knows me he would only be in a hand with something better.  As soon as I check I knew I had messed up...  Makes me laugh though.  When I first started playing I would have been pleased with the win.  Now I'm kicking myself for missing out on a decent pot!
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I miss value on this pot? : Thanks Don.  Usually would just thought he normally plays tighter than this and because he knows me he would only be in a hand with something better.  As soon as I check I knew I had messed up...  Makes me laugh though.  When I first started playing I would have been pleased with the win.  Now I'm kicking myself for missing out on a decent pot!
    Posted by Smudgesmit
    Youd be suprised

I got it all in on the turn the other day with KK v A2os on a J high board only for the guy to river and A lol. It happens but your crushing the NL4 ranger with AQ there, tehy may have the flush thats my only worry.

Also you probably played this right for one of the higher levels but you gota worry about your current level ;)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I miss value on this pot? : Youd be suprised I got it all in on the turn the other day with KK v A2os on a J high board only for the guy to river and A lol. It happens but your crushing the NL4 ranger with AQ there, tehy may have the flush thats my only worry. Also you probably played this right for one of the higher levels but you gota worry about your current level ;)
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yep my worry was flush AJ or AK.  One of my main issues is putting players on a higher hand than they have. 
  • edited December 2010
    Personally I don't mind the check behind on the turn when the possible flush hits as it controls the pot if he has hit it. However, I think you've got to bet the river here. At this level 99.9% of the time they are never checking the river if they have the flush & I reckon a bet of around 90p-£1 probably gets paid.
  • edited December 2010
    Personally I don't mind the check behind on the turn when the possible flush hits as it controls the pot if he has hit it. However, I think you've got to bet the river here. At this level 99.9% of the time they are never checking the river if they have the flush & I reckon a bet of around 90p-£1 probably gets paid.
    Posted by silentbob
    Ty Bob good advice
  • edited December 2010
    When the heart comes it is probably ok to check as he mite be trapping, but once he checks the river he can't have the flush (unless he's just plain stupid, and tbh it happens at that level ;) ) so like bob around £1 shud do.
  • edited December 2010

I'm in a total mess trying to analyse this hand.

3 times I have started typing, and deleted what I have written after reading it.

Conclusion ? -- I'm absolutely clueless.

But I think you should definitely bet the river, probably the turn as well. But the river is a definite bet.

If you bet the turn, obviously u bet/call the rest off on any non-heart river.

I really don't know though.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm in a total mess trying to analyse this hand. 3 times I have started typing, and deleted what I have written after reading it. Conclusion ? -- I'm absolutely clueless. But I think you should definitely bet the river, probably the turn as well. But the river is a definite bet. If you bet the turn, obviously u bet/call the rest off on any non-heart river. I really don't know though.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol.
    I kinda know what you mean tho.
    What i think is interesting is that the cat with A-9 could have taken it down if they continued betting heavily.
    They both seemed to lose interest.
    You to maybe ?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I miss value on this pot? : lol. I kinda know what you mean tho. What i think is interesting is that the cat with A-9 could have taken it down if they continued betting heavily. They both seemed to lose interest. You to maybe ?
    Posted by shelski
    Looking back over the comments and the hand I think we both put each other on better hands than we had (I was pretty sure he'd hit the flush and was checking the river for me to value bet).  I know I'm not gonna play this hand this way again!
  • edited December 2010
    as he called a pot size bet on flop i would put him on an ace or pocket pair, you have ace hearts on flop so he has no flush, bet turn bet river, you have the best hand so keep value betting until he tell you different,
    the check on the turn aint terrible as you checked it would give him more reason to bet river if he had a flush/AJ but you should bet river 100%
  • edited December 2010
    bet call the turn.