You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts Please

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi All,
Can you have a look at this hand and give me your opinions on how i played it, regardless of the outcome.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance Small blind £0.50£0.50£122.68mr_mbroBig blind £1.00£1.50£98.00 Your hole cardsAQ    Fold     Fold     Raise £4.00£5.50£110.11 Fold     Fold    mr_mbroCall £3.00£8.50£95.00Flop  A98   mr_mbroBet £4.25£12.75£90.75 Call £4.25£17.00£105.86Turn  9   mr_mbroBet £9.00£26.00£81.75 Call £9.00£35.00£96.86River  3   mr_mbroBet £18.00£53.00£63.75 Call £18.00£71.00£78.86mr_mbroShowAQ    MuckJA   mr_mbroWinTwo Pairs, Aces and 9s£69.20 £132.95Prev

I don't mind criticism, so fire away.

Col

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Good raise preflop but why do you slow down on the flop by betting half-pot, and following that up again on turn and river. Basically for me bet more = win more. :)
  • edited December 2010
    i raised pre and he donked all streets and got max value so nh

my river call is more questionable than your play
  • edited December 2010
    Yh missed that (the way it is on my screen means have to scroll to right) but still think he could have got more on every street, surely the flop bet HAS to be at least £6-7 to have any sort of effect ?

Also what were you calling down with ?
  • edited December 2010
    Hi Zing,

I took your name out to stop anyone berating any part of your play m8. BTW, I thought that you had Ax but, i also thought if you had AK you might have re-raised, when you didn't I put in the £18 on the river thinking i might have been ahead and might have folded to a big re-raise.

col
  • edited December 2010
    value town springs to mind
  • edited December 2010
    Why did you lead the flop?! How are you responding to a raise on any street?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Thoughts Please:
    Why did you lead the flop?! How are you responding to a raise on any street?
    Posted by beaneh
    Hi Beaneh,

I bet out for a bit of pot control, i didnt want to be check calling and if they re-raised then it would depend on how much and if i perseved this as strong or weak, but not knowing the player i decided to lead out. after the call i tried to narrow his range to AK,AJ,mid pairs etc. My thinking may be flawed but at least i fired on all streets and was prepared to fold to massive strength.

col
  • edited December 2010
    i think ur lucky he had a hand to call down with that u beat, leading the flop into a pfr'er is pretty sketchy imo, i'd expect him to c-bet with all of his range on that board so you fold out complete air and you dont need to donk to protect

you're usually only ever getting one maybe 2 streets from worse, like TT-KK. i doubt he raises AK tbh as he prob thinks he folds worse that wud be donking that flop and turn.

bet sizing is fine i think tho
  • edited December 2010
    i think ur lucky he had a hand to call down with that u beat, leading the flop into a pfr'er is pretty sketchy imo, i'd expect him to c-bet with all of his range on that board so you fold out complete air and you dont need to donk to protect
    Posted by lynx3ffect

agree
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Thoughts Please : Hi Beaneh, I bet out for a bit of pot control, i didnt want to be check calling and if they re-raised then it would depend on how much and if i perseved this as strong or weak, but not knowing the player i decided to lead out. after the call i tried to narrow his range to AK,AJ,mid pairs etc. My thinking may be flawed but at least i fired on all streets and was prepared to fold to massive strength. col
    Posted by mr_mbro

From reading what you wrote do you see that the line you've taken sets you up to win the minimum and lose the maximum. I'm not a fan of leading a hand like this on a board like that.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Thoughts Please : From reading what you wrote do you see that the line you've taken sets you up to win the minimum and lose the maximum. I'm not a fan of leading a hand like this on a board like that.
    Posted by beaneh
    100% agree