You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bad run

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
how do u get of bad run had pocket aces smashed 4 times pocket qq smashed 3 times anyone got any ideas or is it just bad luck

Comments

• edited December 2010
    take a break.  'bad runs' are just variables but if you look at it as a bad run you can be 'on tilt' before you know it and that bad run can turn into a nasty session!   When you come back from your break play tight aggr.  When I've had a bad run I find playing mini micros (30p)  DYM is a good way to break the curse.  just play them tight  and win a few to get you convindence back.  I like to play these for first place as the extra poker points boost my spirit too.

Main thing though is def take a break.  log off for half an hour, have a cup of tea go for a walk or something and come back positive.
  • edited December 2010
    i've asked the question on another thread and got varying responses - take a break, play through it, etc.
    were you playing cash or tournies?
    i was/am having a bad run over the last month, but have carried on playing as i don't think i am doing things wrong. aces etc beaten. last couple of days i've won with good hands. i just played tight and agressive.

previously i have taken breaks or changed to DYMs or freerolls.

depends on how well you think you are playing. are you letting them in to beat you or is it just a run of bad luck?
    bad play - take time out or change to lower stakes.
    bad luck - play on or change to lower stakes.

GL
  • edited December 2010
    Play tighter and Bet bigger.

Make every single bet u make, a pot sized bet.

If you don't wanna bet pot, don't bet. 

Don't worry when u flop the nuts, bet pot and everyone folds - be patient, and wait for a good hand again.

Breaks r useless if the only problem is you're running bad. 
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to bad run:
    how do u get of bad run had pocket aces smashed 4 times pocket qq smashed 3 times anyone got any ideas or is it just bad luck
    Posted by GOONER11
    You have to play your way out of it and try not to let it affect you.
    One of the benefits of mt'ing is that you don't have to watch pf all-ins. i NEVER do.
    You get it in ahead there is nothing else, just try to switch off and not even care about the result
    When you play many tables you are too busy to care cos' you're making other decisions.
  • edited December 2010
    just play your game and make the correct decisions, i lost allin pre with AA 4 times in a row on the same day i looked at my HM stats the amount of money im up with AA and felt alot better lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: bad run:
    In Response to bad run : You have to play your way out of it and try not to let it affect you. One of the benefits of mt'ing is that you don't have to watch pf all-ins. i NEVER do. You get it in ahead there is nothing else, just try to switch off and not even care about the result When you play many tables you are too busy to care cos' you're making other decisions.
    Posted by shelski
    I like this idea.  Def gonna do this from now on. Is it okay to watch my final all in HU in 4K deepie  (one day!)
  • edited December 2010
    Best way to run better when running bad IS TO PLAY MORE
  • edited December 2010
    dont play this fixed site answer in one unless you play top level stff the genral play is so poor that i defy anybody to win alot due to a simple phrase of the worse they play the more this place pays
  • edited December 2010
    dont play this fixed site answer in one unless you play top level stff the genral play is so poor that i defy anybody to win alot due to a simple phrase of the worse they play the more this place pays
    Posted by camilo
    so your advice is if i play really bad i will win a lot of money?

you should consider writing a book on this fantastic theory
  • NHNH
    edited December 2010
    In Response to bad run:
    Posted by GOONER11
    It happens. If you're all in preflop your large pocket pairs are something like an 80% favourite vs inferior hands. The flip side of this is that they will lose 20% of the time. You will go on your bad runs and good runs but it will all even out.

Like it has been suggested earlier playing more will help even out a bad run, but also look at your game. Are you making mistakes that allow opponents to get themselves in favourable positions against you? Post some hands for advice and learn off ones others post.
  • edited December 2010
    Best way to run better when running bad IS TO PLAY MORE
    Posted by beaneh

Tried this not working :-(
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: bad run : Tried this not working :-(
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    try doing it without tilting also it could take weeks or months
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: bad run : try doing it without tilting also it could take weeks or months
    Posted by N1CK

I dont think i do tilt much,  i know exactly what you mean and it has been couple of months now im only £50 down since so not too bad in that respect but could of had a few good scores. whenever i get a beat i take a 5-30 minute cooldown if necessary or however long needed as i have now learnt how to not tilt through just playing lots :p

I also have been analysing my game to no end last 3 weeks at least and i'd say in tourneys i havent played perfect but 90% i have lost due to losing a race which you get in most tourneys i know  a sick run is just round the corner though
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: bad run : I dont think i do tilt much,  i know exactly what you mean and it has been couple of months now im only £50 down since so not too bad in that respect but could of had a few good scores. whenever i get a beat i take a 5-30 minute cooldown if necessary or however long needed as i have now learnt how to not tilt through just playing lots :p I also have been analysing my game to no end last 3 weeks at least and i'd say in tourneys i havent played perfect but 90% i have lost due to losing a race which you get in most tourneys i know  a sick run is just round the corner though
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I could have figured out you're useless in 3 minutes and saved you the time and bother. 
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: bad run : I dont think i do tilt much,  i know exactly what you mean and it has been couple of months now im only £50 down since so not too bad in that respect but could of had a few good scores. whenever i get a beat i take a 5-30 minute cooldown if necessary or however long needed as i have now learnt how to not tilt through just playing lots :p I also have been analysing my game to no end last 3 weeks at least and i'd say in tourneys i havent played perfect but 90% i have lost due to losing a race which you get in most tourneys i know  a sick run is just round the corner though
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    you don't need to tilt MUCH just a bit is enough, if losing a hand or a string of hands effects your emotions in the slightest way then the chances are you will tilt,

At the end of the day you are going to run bad and your going to run good but you have to access this over the long term rather than the short term, so it helps not to look at your results daily but monthly or over a longer period (depending on the volume of hands you play)
  • edited December 2010

apply for a change of username

any1 with gooner in their name runs bad round here...:)

• edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    thfc ftw
    Posted by N1CK

Yuck!

Btw im not a gunner before you say anything
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: bad run : Yuck! Btw im not a gunner before you say anything
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    and im not a Yido