You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Verdict on shove please

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
no history, or reads as such but foldd round with approx 15 bb is this correct?
KUDOS1 Small blind   75.00 75.00 11347.50
pikeesDAD Big blind   150.00 225.00 6541.87
  Your hole cards

super123 Fold        
martin111 Fold        
YOUNG_GUN All-in   2170.00 2395.00 0.00
KUDOS1 Fold        
pikeesDAD Call   2020.00 4415.00 4521.87
pikeesDAD Show
  • J
  • A

YOUNG_GUN Show

Flop

• K

Turn

River

pikeesDAD Win Flush to the Ace 4415.00   8936.87

Comments

• edited December 2010
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with that shove from the button IMO, you're too shallow for any sort of raise/folding but you have plenty of fold equity, so you might as well get it all in pre and put the blinds under maximum pressure.
  • edited December 2010
    played perfectly just ul
  • edited December 2010
    Standard shove with 14bb and 88 here. I'm not amazingly keen on the call, but it is acceptable for 1/3 of his stack arguably from a button push.

• edited December 2010
    nice cards to shove with at this stage.  They will win enough times against AJ to give you ammo to go further result just went with the other guy this time.
  • NHNH
    edited December 2010
    Push is fine and standard.

However can I just twist this a bit and ask if anyone would consider raising to induce a push from the blinds?
    Of course this is opponent dependant and we would obviously be assuming the BB or SB is aggressive enough to reship us, and not likely to just flat, but could it be a more profitable line?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Verdict on shove please:
    Push is fine and standard. However can I just twist this a bit and ask if anyone would consider raising to induce a push from the blinds? Of course this is opponent dependant and we would obviously be assuming the BB or SB is aggressive enough to reship us, and not likely to just flat, but could it be a more profitable line?
    Posted by NH
    Raise/call at this time is a no for me.  Main Reasons:

What do you do post flop if they flat call you?
    The shove gives you 2 chances to win the pot (clean if they fold or with the board cards) calling only givers you one chance to win!
    Also, if you raise here you could quite easily be up against 2 players and then your odds of winning the hand decreece dramatically!
  • NHNH
    edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Verdict on shove please : Raise/call at this time is a no for me.  Main Reasons: What do you do post flop if they flat call you?

Agreed if they are likely to flat you I definitely prefer the push.
    But how would it look if you had an (over?)aggressive player in the blinds who is more likely to reraise you?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Verdict on shove please : Agreed if they are likely to flat you I definitely prefer the push. But how would it look if you had an (over?)aggressive player in the blinds who is more likely to reraise you?
    Posted by NH
    Are you talking about trapping a player you know will bully you with rags? 
    Earlier in the game then yes but even then your taking a risk that they don't have monster.  I've done that myself where the guy in pos. shoves 3K in on my 400 raise time and time again.  Got mid pockets and decided I would call.........  Over he turns AA or AJ or QJ or T9 so at best I'm racing for my tourny early on.  Playing a bully is a different subject to this (although a very interesting one which I would love to master).  Best thing I can say is remember there are 3 or 4 other players on the table and you don't have to be the one to do the bully.  Worst thing you can do is give your chips to a bully only to see a decent player take them next hand!
  • edited December 2010

I think push is best as we need to use our fold equity. 8's aren't strong enough to min raise, hoping to induce a shove, unless the big blind is a total donk.

He probably is in this example, but on here they are all passive donks, rather than aggro donks, you're best off shoving and hoping he calls with worse, rather than min raising to induce a shove from worse.

If u min raise, and he shoves, you're racing at best most of the time in these games on this site., so using FE to fold out some flips is best (although I wouldn't be surprised for villain here to call off with K7 suited)
  • edited December 2010
    played perfect considering our stack here
  • edited December 2010
    JJ sums up my thoughts but bit technical version lol

looks standard but been running like death of late so putting myself under microscope and talking through hands alot think it must be variance as 90% of time doing correct move. other then a accidental shove yesterday in primo satelite as was playing a tourney on stars didnt realise someone uber tight had raised then got raised wrong time for shove there though lol
  • edited December 2010
    hand % from hand

55/45 for
    40/60 against
    Dead turn

that is how i run :p