You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Isildur1

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat

Anyone else been watching him on line playing PLO in preparation for his nosebleed challenges and if so what's your opinion?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I did spend 40 minutes or so watching him play one other player on 4 tables.  Very aggressive, very good.  I can't really offer a definitive opinion though as the only hands I saw face up were pretty standard (sets v combo draws etc).  He was crushing this session and I think all the interesting hands were the ones he played without showdown.
  • edited December 2010
    sounds ,like a very talented and clever player
  • edited December 2010
    i love isildur1, why could we not sign him for sky pfft lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Isildur1:
    i love isildur1, why could we not sign him for sky pfft lol
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    but then where would redmond be, and whos a better role model ???????

Redmond you got my vote.
  • edited December 2010
    Lol just lol
    a diddy sky player should not be mentioned in the same post.

"role model"What are you?10
  • edited December 2010
    Lol just lol a diddy sky player should not be mentioned in the same post. "role model"What are you?10
    Posted by igimc
    thanks for the comment
  • edited December 2010
    Lol just lol a diddy sky player should not be mentioned in the same post. "role model"What are you?10
    Posted by igimc
    Why would you not look up to someone like Redmond?

He makes alot of money doing something that is a hobby for most of us.

• edited December 2010
    harsh mrigimc, i for one watch him play at nosebleed levels. i would go as far as to say i admire and respect his game (jealous to). so as a "role model" in the art of hu, yes i would agree with don90. to put him up there with isildur i wouldnt agree with that statement yet!!!
  • edited December 2010
    Different leagues.
    Kris boyd looked good in the scottish league.
    But yous guys are trying to compare him to lionel messi
  • edited December 2010
    at no point did i put him in the same league!! but i would class him as a good role model. 5/10 hu is as good a level that i would aspire to play.
  • edited December 2010
    Different leagues. Kris boyd looked good in the scottish league. But yous guys are trying to compare him to lionel messi
    Posted by igimc
    Kris Boyd looked good?????

Sorry i dont know what you where watching. He couldnt do anything but score. nothing more.
  • edited December 2010
    I 100% agree and he got shown up for what he really is in
    the lower leagues of english football,but that was just an analogy 
    and wasn't really my point now was it
  • edited December 2010
    No you were just being a moany woany girl as usual ;)
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Isildur1 : Kris Boyd looked good????? Sorry i dont know what you where watching. He couldnt do anything but score. nothing more.
    Posted by The_Don90
    If you have that goal scoring knack then you don't really need to do anything more to get played.
  • edited December 2010
    Redmond makes money playing the pokerz.

Viktor is broke.

Fact.

• edited December 2010
    Redmond makes money playing the pokerz. Viktor is broke. Fact.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Wasnt he all but cheated out of it though???
  • edited December 2010
    Redmond makes money playing the pokerz. Viktor is broke. Fact.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    At last, some sanity to the thread.

James, I love you. Post more.

False idols FTW.

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Isildur1 : Wasnt he all but cheated out of it though???
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    No.  Brians Hastings and Townsend shared HH info.  Not sure that counts as "cheating," but it was against FTP's T&Cs.

Over time, players like Dwan, Ivey, Antonius, South, Hastings and Townsend WILL beat him.

Sure, against most opponents, Blom crushes, because of his hyper-aggresive style.  But the skilled HU players exploited his spewiness, countered those early swings and stacked him time and time again.  He was left with a roll of $0.

So, he departed the nosebleed cash tables on FTP and went seeking a sponsorship deal.  Now, he has financial backing and a new home.

Suffice to say, I still think he's a pretty awesome player (especially if he can plug those leaks), is great for the game (publicity-wise) and I wish him every success.

• edited December 2010
    broke! with near $300k swings, seems very unlikely.  He is down on his FT account but he must be up on all his other accounts.
    I would love to know how much he is getting from his new site, would it be a one off payday?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Isildur1 : At last, some sanity to the thread. James, I love you. Post more. False idols FTW.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Although this is not technically correct, isildur just signed for big site too so you dont actually know how much he is up/dowon whether he has been staked previously

alot of his loss was because several people had to play him(eg. analyse him/collusion) also noone plays isildur at nlh so he has to play omaha to get action which he doesn't have as much of an edge

i agree redmond is a wicked role model but they are on different wavelengths imo sorry
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Isildur1 : No.  Brians Hastings and Townsend shared HH info.  Not sure that counts as "cheating," but it was against FTP's T&Cs. Over time, players like Dwan, Ivey, Antonius, South, Hastings and Townsend WILL beat him. Sure, against most opponents, Blom crushes, because of his hyper-aggresive style.  But the skilled HU players exploited his spewiness, countered those early swings and stacked him time and time again.  He was left with a roll of $0. So, he departed the nosebleed cash tables on FTP and went seeking a sponsorship deal.  Now, he has financial backing and a new home. Suffice to say, I still think he's a pretty awesome player (especially if he can plug those leaks), is great for the game (publicity-wise) and I wish him every success.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Seems to be the closest thing to colusion available in HU poker to be honest but i take your points, not just against FTP t&C's this just doesn't seem in the spirit of the game . If they had discussed strategy to beat him then fine but sharing the HH seems wrong. They would probably have had to pay him off a lot to accumulate the amount of hands they eventually used to beat him. Hope he does well with the backing as James says this is pretty great publicity for the game as a whole
  • edited December 2010
    broke! with near $300k swings, seems very unlikelyHe is down on his FT account but he must be up on all his other accounts. I would love to know how much he is getting from his new site, would it be a one off payday?
    Posted by freechips1
    I'm, not sure I understand that. If you suffer $300k swings you are almost certainly guaranteed to go busto eventually, nothing is more certain. It's just a question of "when", not "if".

Up on his other accounts?

It's very simple. He may be up a bit here, & down a bit there - but with those swings, if he is not busto now (or again) he soon will be.

A player without Bankroll Management is like a car without brakes - the crash is inevitable.

Given you think he's doing so well, have you stopped to ponder why he accepted his new job?......

I 100% wish him well in his new job, but if he does not learn to curb his reckless BM, nothing can stop his eventual - pardon the technical term - skintobustyness.

No player on earth can survive lack of BM. Thousands have tried, all are now skinto.
  • edited December 2010
    Just cos he has such mad swings whos to say he doesnt have BRM?? he apparentally kills on other sites so again there is no proof

i agree with what your saying but his swings are largely due to PLO which is a more swingy game, also he doesnt crush anyone on it. although thats his choice in fairness
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Isildur1 : Although this is not technically correct, isildur just signed for big site too so you dont actually know how much he is up/dowon whether he has been staked previously alot of his loss was because several people had to play him(eg. analyse him/collusion) also noone plays isildur at nlh so he has to play omaha to get action which he doesn't have as much of an edge i agree redmond is a wicked role model but they are on different wavelengths imo sorry
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Oh dear. The myth lives on.

It seriously troubles me that some poker players still do not seem to think that any player - even the best in the world (& let's assume, for the debate, that VB is), will 100% deffo deffo deffo go bust if they cannot conquer BM, & be well-disciplined.

It's like the Laws of Physics - they are what they are, & no matter what spin you try & put on it, such players ALL go skint.

I know - personally - hundreds of poker players who are different class (MUCH better) than me - and who are utterly potless, skinto, busto, without a single penny to their name. How clever is that?

The idea of admiring someone like that seems repulsive to me, but I guess it's each to their own. 

• edited December 2010
    Just cos he has such mad swings whos to say he doesnt have BRM?? he apparentally kills on other sites so again there is no proof i agree with what your saying but his swings are largely due to PLO which is a more swingy game, also he doesnt crush anyone on it. although thats his choice in fairness
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I'm sorry, but that statement makes as much sense to me as "$300k swings - how can he be skint?"!

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Isildur1 : I'm sorry, but that statement makes as much sense to me as " $300k swings - how can he be skint?"!
    Posted by Tikay10

not much of my comments do sorry, ok basically because he has such mad swings why does it mean he doesnt have good BRM?  neither me or you know this.

it is likely he has bad bankroll but who knows other then him because he is on so many other sites, for all we know he could be £30 million up still?

also as a point i have seen him drop down a few levels before so there must be some form of BRM behind it

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Isildur1 : I'm, not sure I understand that. If you suffer $300k swings you are almost certainly guaranteed to go busto eventually, nothing is more certain. It's just a question of "when", not "if". Up on his other accounts? It's very simple. He may be up a bit here, & down a bit there - but with those swings, if he is not busto now (or again) he soon will be. A player without Bankroll Management is like a car without brakes - the crash is inevitable. Given you think he's doing so well, have you stopped to ponder why he accepted his new job?...... I 100% wish him well in his new job, but if he does not learn to curb his reckless BM, nothing can stop his eventual - pardon the technical term - skintobustyness. No player on earth can survive lack of BM. Thousands have tried, all are now skinto.
    Posted by Tikay10

THIS!
  • edited December 2010
    i never really understand the fascination with these players that normal average poker players have.

why bother wasting ur time reading/railing him.  spend that time watching actual coaching videos/reading poker books if you want to improve your game.

as someone earlier said, LOLUFOLD is an actual role model and if you follow his advice then you can make more money at this game/move up stakes.

trying to play like isildue1 on £11 HU SnGs will get you to bustoville quicker than Concorde.
  • edited December 2010

Scotty gets it spot on, I endorse every word

Lolufold is a genuine 100% bankroll nit. Trust me, he is. He'll never go skinto, & will therefore have a tosty life ahead at the poker Tables. For that, I admire & respect him.