You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Correct Shove?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hey all! This was getting on toward the bubble of the deepstack this evening... Was it the correct shove given where the raise came from? The table had been playing reasonably tight and i put him on a medium pocket pair.... Yeahh my reading ability's needs some work! ;)

Really wanted to go for the win in this tourney and was lying comfotably in 4th at this point. was it a decent spot?
FINS Small blind   1000.00 1000.00 15588.00
sonic544 Big blind   2000.00 3000.00 19095.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

RAFA01 Fold        
waller02 Raise   8000.00 11000.00 28892.50
tekoc Fold        
Shafty91 All-in   37940.00 48940.00 0.00
FINS Fold        
sonic544 Fold        
waller02 All-in   28892.50 77832.50 0.00
Shafty91 Unmatched bet   1047.50 76785.00 1047.50
waller02 Show
  • K
  • A

Shafty91 Show
  • Q
  • A

Flop

• K

Turn

River

waller02 Win Two Pairs, Kings and 9s 76785.00   76785.00

Comments

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Correct Shove?:
    Hey all! This was getting on toward the bubble of the deepstack this evening... Was it the correct shove given where the raise came from? The table had been playing reasonably tight and i put him on a medium pocket pair.... Yeahh my reading ability's needs some work! ;) Really wanted to go for the win in this tourney and was lying comfotably in 4th at this point. was it a decent spot? FINS Small blind   1000.00 1000.00 15588.00 sonic544 Big blind   2000.00 3000.00 19095.00   Your hole cards Q A       RAFA01 Fold         waller02 Raise   8000.00 11000.00 28892.50 tekoc Fold         Shafty91 All-in   37940.00 48940.00 0.00 FINS Fold         sonic544 Fold         waller02 All-in   28892.50 77832.50 0.00 Shafty91 Unmatched bet   1047.50 76785.00 1047.50 waller02 Show K A       Shafty91 Show Q A       Flop     9 K 9       Turn     3       River     8       waller02 Win Two Pairs, Kings and 9s 76785.00   76785.00
    Posted by Shafty91
    Looks like a 'come get me' bet which is begging you to shove.  As his stacks got you covered can you fold these?  Bubble coming up and sitting 4th, no chips in pot. 
    16 BBs I'd love to think I could let it go. 
    Calling out as he's shoving after the flop anyway (even if he misses)
    You put him on small pair so had he raised like this already with small pp or was it a hunch?
  • edited December 2010
    its a shove or a fold, all dependant on your read of the villains play

but usually a 4x raise from utg +1, committing a reasonable percentage of his stack would indicate a better hand than AQ. So its usually a fold here imo.

Its certainly not the worst shove in the world though, you were ul to see AK.
  • NHNH
    edited December 2010
    In Response to Correct Shove?:
    Hey all! This was getting on toward the bubble of the deepstack this evening... Was it the correct shove given where the raise came from? The table had been playing reasonably tight and i put him on a medium pocket pair.... Yeahh my reading ability's needs some work! ;) Posted by Shafty91

Read is spot on imo. Although I'm new to this site on others I've played on a 4xBB raise here is usually a scared hand that your opponent doesn't want to fold but doesn't really want to see a flop with because they don't know how to play it. These are usually hands like 77-JJ and AT-AK.

Really wanted to go for the win in this tourney and was lying comfotably in 4th at this point. was it a decent spot? Posted by Shafty91  

If you intention is to go for the win and you don't mind going out here then yes this is a perfect spot for it. You just have to accept you will be flipping a lot of the time.

• edited December 2010
    Thanks for the feedback guys! :D

In Response to Re: Correct Shove?:
    In Response to Correct Shove? : Looks like a 'come get me' bet which is begging you to shove.  As his stacks got you covered can you fold these?  Bubble coming up and sitting 4th, no chips in pot.  16 BBs I'd love to think I could let it go.  Calling out as he's shoving after the flop anyway (even if he misses) You put him on small pair so had he raised like this already with small pp or was it a hunch?
    Posted by Smudgesmit

Yeahh usually i don't dwell on hand like this but this one really got me thinking for some reason... And looking back i'm sure i could have found a better spot, unfortunatly it was just my gut instinct that put him on a PP but ahh well ya win some ya lose some!

its a shove or a fold, all dependant on your read of the villains play but usually a 4x raise from utg +1, committing a reasonable percentage of his stack would indicate a better hand than AQ. So its usually a fold here imo. Its certainly not the worst shove in the world though, you were ul to see AK.
    Posted by GREGHOGG

Thanks Gregg, was proberbly a bit nieve of me to think i ahead but i think at this point i had a tad of posative tilt because i had been running good up until this point!

In Response to Correct Shove? : Read is spot on imo. Although I'm new to this site on others I've played on a 4xBB raise here is usually a scared hand that your opponent doesn't want to fold but doesn't really want to see a flop with because they don't know how to play it. These are usually hands like 77-JJ and AT-AK. If you intention is to go for the win and you don't mind going out here then yes this is a perfect spot for it. You just have to accept you will be flipping a lot of the time.
    Posted by NH
    This was my read exactly NH, thought at worst i was flipping and i had decided that in this tourney i was prepared to take a 50/50, as i said i think my reading ability needs a bit of work! :P