You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO tournament early hand

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
5-6 hands in i have called everyhand pre as kk/jj etc but no draws hoping to set up, called couple small bets on flop etc then this happen

is this a cooler?
GREGHOGG Small blind   10.00 10.00 1930.00
chrisbhoy Big blind   20.00 30.00 1880.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

NESBIT Call   20.00 50.00 2720.00
ljsharky Raise   40.00 90.00 1930.00
RICHORFORD Fold        
YOUNG_GUN Call   40.00 130.00 1800.00
GREGHOGG Call   30.00 160.00 1900.00
chrisbhoy Fold        
NESBIT Call   20.00 180.00 2700.00
Flop

• J

GREGHOGG Check        
NESBIT Check        
ljsharky Bet   180.00 360.00 1750.00
YOUNG_GUN Raise   580.00 940.00 1220.00
GREGHOGG All-in   1900.00 2840.00 0.00
NESBIT Fold        
ljsharky Fold        
YOUNG_GUN All-in   1220.00 4060.00 0.00
GREGHOGG Unmatched bet   100.00 3960.00 100.00
GREGHOGG Show
  • J
  • A
  • Q
  • J

YOUNG_GUN Show
  • J
  • Q

Turn

• K

River

GREGHOGG Win Full House, Jacks and 10s 3960.00   4060.00

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Just a cooler m8
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: PLO tournament early hand:
    Just a cooler m8
    Posted by GREGHOGG

i thought so sir, just like to be harsh on myself and only posting as i have stated for comments on my play :-)

• edited December 2010
    In Response to PLO tournament early hand:
    you play omaha ?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to PLO tournament early hand : you play omaha ?
    Posted by shelski

not often if i do more DYM but this was tourney LML, tikay & orford was in gave it a go. im ok nothing special  :)
  • edited December 2010
    this just looks like your typical omaha fish vs fish coup
  • edited December 2010
    this just looks like your typical omaha fish vs fish coup
    Posted by N1CK
    Ok what would you have done? we have the nuts on the flop also redraw with the queen. i disagree with the fish comment
  • edited December 2010
      This is just the type of hand that you need to be very wary of. You have top and bottom pair and the nut straight at this point. There is a potential flush draw there as well as AKQ hands to be wary of. With your holding even though you have the nuts you must consider that you also have a dead hand so the only thing that will be any good would be 2 blank cards. You were right to raise on the flop because you really want to shut the hand down there and then with your lack of redraws. You must remember that it is likely to be up against hands that are level with you but have redraws. For example  9QK, 9JJQ or Qc9c.

As it was you were involved against top set and a gutshot, so that means 10/11(depending on whether the flush is live) outs against you. So at this point you were favourite but not hugely. The river was irrelevant in this hand because you were behind and drawing dead on the turn.If we imagine this as a worst case scenario and give him the AQ as clubs then on that flop he would have 18 outs against you. In this scenario you would be way ahead with the nuts but a big underdog to win the hand.

With that being said i dont think there is any real way to get off this hand and you just got done in by the deck hitting him in the face.When you play pots in the future remember you are looking for omaha gold, which is the nuts plus extensions plus redraws.Although it does not happen as often as we would like they do occur. So in the future try to avoid if possible getting all your stack in in a tourny with a dead hand.
  • edited December 2010
    cheers colin, i did put hoggers on a set here. i didnt think he had many draws personally and didnt actually realise that he had a straight on turn until i have just looked, i do aim to try to get it in with as many draws as possible but what i was asking is should i be stacking here? worst case im against JJ + Flush draw but i didnt put him on flush draw aswell, thought my straight pretty much covered any draws on it but obviously not :)
  • edited December 2010
    Colin, did i play this correctly?

I pretty much know yg has the nut str8 when he reraises flop, should i peel a card or am i correct to shove it on the flop iyo?

• edited December 2010
    i really don't know why anyone would ask if they played a hand fine when they got it in ahead with the nuts.

pre is fine considering its lolmaha. post you got the stacks in ahead.  and in this case, both of you played the hands fine and its always gonna turn out that way even if Dwan and Ivey are playing the respective hands.

now if you'd limped in with 8822 and got it in then it would be a different point entirely.
  • edited December 2010
     Greg. Tough decision for you on that board. If you are putting him on the straight then you know you are behing with only 11 outs available to you so at that stage you are an underdog to win the hand. The only option you shouldnt  do here is to call and take a turn card. You are 1 in 5 to hit on the turn which is not great and also it will encourage a call from ljsharky and you do not want to make it multiway in a big pot when you know you are only on the draw. Your options are fold or shove and frankly i could make a case for either action. It is all about gamble whether you want to or just play safe. With young gun pot committed at this point you know you will be called so you can play it either way.
  • edited December 2010
     Greg. Tough decision for you on that board. If you are putting him on the straight then you know you are behing with only 11 outs available to you so at that stage you are an underdog to win the hand. The only option you shouldnt  do here is to call and take a turn card. You are 1 in 5 to hit on the turn which is not great and also it will encourage a call from ljsharky and you do not want to make it multiway in a big pot when you know you are only on the draw. Your options are fold or shove and frankly i could make a case for either action. It is all about gamble whether you want to or just play safe. With young gun pot committed at this point you know you will be called so you can play it either way.
    Posted by Talon
    Great, thanks Colin, this is exactly how i saw it during the hand so i think im learning!
    i knew i was gambling, but that i had good chance of being an early chip leader so i went for it. It was a reasonably fast pace mtt too.

If i had top set without the str8 extension i woulda insta mucked.