You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Small to Mid Connectors

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic

To my surprise I have found myself lampooned for raising by one or two players I consider seasoned, maybe a few opinions on this matter please!

Small and mid range connectors look pretty but do not like playing them to raised pots, ok there is times when I do but this is more dependent on the player and table. I do how ever like to raise an unraised pot with these hands, if you hit any caller will likely put you on over cards and if over cards hit you have a chance to rep.

I have been told this is a bad play, can I please have your thoughts on playing small to mid connectors weather suited or not?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    well, if you are in late position i would raise them  3-4x

if utg would fold, any limpers i would limp

alot does depend on the table though
  • edited December 2010
    i think suited connectors are over rated, i rarely open with them but il call depending stack depth, multiway pots and opponents, if im playing cash and im card dead then il open them in any position 6max
  • edited December 2010
    In tournaments I'll see a cheap flop with small/mid suited connectors where possible during the first couple of levels while we're still playing deep, most times you end up mucking them but occasionally you'll stack an opponent.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    s Small blind  10.00 10.00 1940.00
    G Big blind  20.00 30.00 1740.00
      Your hole cards

b Call  20.00 50.00 2615.00
     Fold     
    C Call  20.00 70.00 1570.00
    GaryQQQ Call  20.00 90.00 2175.00
    s Fold     
    G Raise  40.00 130.00 1700.00
    b Call  40.00 170.00 2575.00
    C Call  40.00 210.00 1530.00
    GaryQQQ Call  40.00 250.00 2135.00
    Flop

G Bet  100.00 350.00 1600.00
    b Call  100.00 450.00 2475.00
    C Fold     
    GaryQQQ Call  100.00 550.00 2035.00
    Turn

G Check     
    b Check     
    GaryQQQ Bet  475.00 1025.00 1560.00
    G Fold     
    b Raise  1225.00 2250.00 1250.00
    GaryQQQ Call  750.00 3000.00 810.00
    River

b All-in  1250.00 4250.00 0.00
    GaryQQQ All-in  810.00 5060.00 0.00
    b Unmatched bet  440.00 4620.00 440.00
    b Show
    • K

GaryQQQ Show

GaryQQQ Win Straight to the 8 4620.00  4620.00
  • edited December 2010
    Raising with small - mid connectors always gets scrutinised by players at our table, but lets remember also, that we can raise with any two pre-flop so why not with connectors or suited connectors.

How we play our hand pre-flop (connected or not) can depend on a number of things, but ultimately position is one of the most important factors. Other things to consider are the players on our table and the overall play on the table itself.

If we are in position, there's nothing wrong with a raise 3 or 4x to an un-raised pot before you. We have options after we raise in this position without risking our stack:-
    1. We can fold to a re-raise
    2. We can take advantage if we hit the flop hard
    3. We can also rep an over cards to take down the pot

Raising with them in position is much easier than raising with them out of position, however, if we have a very nitty table, we can also make use of them without too much resistance, but don't get too attached to them post flop.

If the table is loose or aggressive, i'm usually folding these types of hands unless i'm on the button or the bubble, in which case I'm usually playing them quite strong to give my oppo the image that I have a pocket pair or a couple of pictures.

In Summary
    I see nothing wrong with raising with them in position or to a nitty table/player.
    I would prefer to raise with them than call with them.

(But you know I usually only raise 3-4x pre-flop when I have AA Right? lol.)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Small to Mid Connectors:
    Raising with small - mid connectors always gets scrutinised by players at our table, but lets remember also, that we can raise with any two pre-flop so why not with connectors or suited connectors. How we play our hand pre-flop (connected or not) can depend on a number of things, but ultimately position is one of the most important factors. Other things to consider are the players on our table and the overall play on the table itself. If we are in position, there's nothing wrong with a raise 3 or 4x to an un-raised pot before you. We have options after we raise in this position without risking our stack:- 1. We can fold to a re-raise 2. We can take advantage if we hit the flop hard 3. We can also rep an over cards to take down the pot Raising with them in position is much easier than raising with them out of position, however, if we have a very nitty table, we can also make use of them without too much resistance, but don't get too attached to them post flop. If the table is loose or aggressive, i'm usually folding these types of hands unless i'm on the button or the bubble, in which case I'm usually playing them quite strong to give my oppo the image that I have a pocket pair or a couple of pictures. In Summary I see nothing wrong with raising with them in position or to a nitty table/player. I would prefer to raise with them than call with them. (But you know I usually only raise 3-4x pre-flop when I have AA Right? lol.)
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Thanks Trev what u wrote is more or less my own opinion on the matter
  • edited December 2010
    I love them! and gapped connectors like 35s, 46s, 75s, etc

I will raise an unopened pot frequently with these sort of hands. I will also squeeze limpers from the button with this type of hand.

Standard imo
  • NHNH
    edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Small to Mid Connectors:
    I love them! and gapped connectors like 35s, 46s, 75s, etc I will raise an unopened pot frequently with these sort of hands. I will also squeeze limpers from the button with this type of hand. Standard imo
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    ^^ Agree

Only thing I would add is make sure yourself and your opponents are deep enough so you can play these sort of hands. You don't want to get re-raised or flatted and realised you're committed, but that advice really applies to most hands.