You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Worth a shot or not?

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat
I have only really played poker with any seriousness for the 4 months or so I obviously have loads to learn.
After playing mainly DYMs for a while I decided to try and adapt to MTT games. Aftter some little success I was wondering if it was worth having a go at slightly higher stakes, I dont expect to win straight away, of course, but I also dont want to make myself look a fool, lol.
My results ove rthe last 4 days or so are

£20 GTD mtt  3rd, 5th,2nd,3rd,2nd,2nd
£60 GTD mtt  2nd
£2.30 BH       3rd.

Besided the fact I need more practice playing HU, lol, is it worth me trying a few higher stakes games? 

Comments

• edited December 2010
    You seem to have blocked your sharkscope stats so i cant really advise, but as you are doing well at small mtts, why not keep going!

Higher stake mtts on here can get expensive if you dont bink one for a while, i speak from experience lol

But if you can comfortably afford to step up, who cares if you "look a fool"?
    play your own game and enjoy it, you can play your cards however you like, its your money!

good luck
  • edited December 2010
    iff you Move up Levels you will just run into fish like hoggers here!!
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Worth a shot or not?:
    iff you Move up Levels you will just run into fish like hoggers here!!
    Posted by shaun09
    this would be funny if it wasnt true lol
  • edited December 2010
    fish is abit strong shaun,donkfish thats the better term
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks Greghogg,
    I did block my sharkscope thing cos I didnt, and still dont lol, understand what they show and I am a little bit paranoid about what personal info is online . Just one of my little character flaws lol.
    You make good sense though and perhaps I would be better staying where I am for a few weeks to see if I can be a consistent winner before making any changes.
    Might try one of the £2.20 deepies though. they always sound like good games from the forum posts.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Worth a shot or not?:
    Thanks Greghogg, I did block my sharkscope thing cos I didnt, and still dont lol, understand what they show and I am a little bit paranoid about what personal info is online . Just one of my little character flaws lol. You make good sense though and perhaps I would be better staying where I am for a few weeks to see if I can be a consistent winner before making any changes. Might try one of the £2.20 deepies though. they always sound like good games from the forum posts.
    Posted by steveskin1
    Step up as there is not alot of difference between a £2.30 buy in to a £5.50 buy in,it is basically the same kind of players you will be up against,and gl.xxx
  • edited December 2010
    depends on the tournie you are playing.

standard 5.50 they'll just be probably the same kinda players you'll find in the 2.20s

if its a Take on Tikay tho you will find a lot of very decent regs.

if you are looking at playing things like the TSP/Main Event then again most of the time you'll be up against randoms who are usually average, with the odddecent player in there.  the field sizes of those tournies are ususally 250plus so you'll find the tougher opponents in the mid/late stages.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Worth a shot or not?:
    I have only really played poker with any seriousness for the 4 months or so I obviously have loads to learn. After playing mainly DYMs for a while I decided to try and adapt to MTT games. Aftter some little success I was wondering if it was worth having a go at slightly higher stakes, I dont expect to win straight away, of course, but I also dont want to make myself look a fool, lol. My results ove rthe last 4 days or so are £20 GTD mtt  3rd, 5th,2nd,3rd,2nd,2nd £60 GTD mtt  2nd £2.30 BH       3rd. Besided the fact I need more practice playing HU, lol, is it worth me trying a few higher stakes games? 
    Posted by steveskin1
    maybe variance. you are doing ok. do it for a while longer then you'll be in a better position to evaluate.
  • edited December 2010
    Well done on a good run Steve, but you should still have the self discipline to stick to good bankroll management rules, you shouldn't move up until you have enough in your account for at least 60 buy-ins IMO.
  • edited December 2010
    Why not try some of the satelites to the higher stakes tourneys
  • edited December 2010
    I'd say have a flutter, and definitely try the satelites as MP33 said. More often than not there's not that many people in them. 
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated.