You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was i wrong to let go??

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
hi as u will see i raised pre but in light was such a bad idea
flop comes down i hit top pair on the board with med kicker
 op raises i min raise to see where i am
 ok a min raise prob not the best but op moves all in after long wait i fold i feared an over pair more than any thing
 but was i right to let go so easy should i have raised more on the flop or just flated his raise to readjust on turn??? i needed to know where i stood and in my eyes got info straight away but few players moaned at my play

smiler64 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £48.21
istabraqdo Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £77.98
  Your hole cards
  • Q

davplay Call  £0.50 £1.25 £46.20
chefboy79 Raise  £2.50 £3.75 £72.82
braveeagle Fold     
tallytink Call  £2.50 £6.25 £51.00
xx Call  £2.25 £8.50 £45.96
istabraqdo Fold     
davplay Fold     
Flop

xx Bet  £4.25 £12.75 £41.71
chefboy79 Raise  £8.50 £21.25 £64.32
tallytink Fold     
xx All-in  £41.71 £62.96 £0.00
chefboy79 Fold     
xx Muck     
xx Win  £24.22  £24.22
xx Return  £37.46

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Firstly pre fold, utg limper you have average hand at best

i would probably flat flop or if raising would bump it up to ask a question, min-raise generally means you could be trying to get them of it. on occasions it means strength other times looks like your just trying to bluff the pot, i think flatting could be ok as your in position and can re-assess. if you want to raise properly to ask a question would raise £12.75

you have to let go as played though
  • edited December 2010
    I've never played 50NL but realsie you have to open up your game a LOT more to be in profit but I would feel raising with a 3 gapper like Q8 can't be that good as it's really hard to flop the str8 draw (unless you flop the str8 lol) and any FD won't be to the nuts which is dangerous. Overall best to fold pre.

On the flop facing the halfpot bet I'd probably call IP and see what he does on the turn but also for pot control as your hand isn't great.
  • edited December 2010
    raise more flop, tbh depends who it was shoving on me to whether i called or not. dont think you should be getting that creative with Q8 though, if it weren't suited you wouldnt even consider it so just leave it, not really a hand you can hit many good flops with unlike suited connectors.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: was i wrong to let go??:
    raise more flop, tbh depends who it was shoving on me to whether i called or not. dont think you should be getting that creative with Q8 though, if it weren't suited you wouldnt even consider it so just leave it, not really a hand you can hit many good flops with unlike suited connectors.
    Posted by hurst05
    +1 Hurst

When im playing a hand pre i have to always remember what im playing it for. Q8 if i do play it im not playing for an 8/Q high flop. 2 pair - trips - Straights - flushes. Even if you hit a flush you have to be prepared to fold to good resisitance.
  • edited December 2010
    i think i call flop.

if you are gonna raise then make it 12/13 at least.
  • edited December 2010
    i acutally dont hate the raise pre, altho it cud be a bit bigger and you need to consider how weak/tight players behind you are as u dont really want to be oop

this raise to find out where u are is disgusting...you raise for value or you raise to bluff. this flop doesnt get much better for u after ur raise pre but by raising that flop you will generally fold out worse unless he a maniac with 56 which i think u can discount as he cold flats from the bb

you should be flatting his donk to re-evaulate the turn and play some poker!....you need to put him on a range of hands down the streets, donking out is quite likely to be a mid pp like 55-TT...some of the time i guess he does this with a set but its a pretty dry board so unlikely...doesnt sound like you have any reads on villain so if he continues to show strength on the turn its a tough call depending on the card as he was still donking in 3 players so its unlikely to be a bluff
  • edited December 2010
    fold pre. as played call flop
  • edited December 2010
    i hate everything about how this hand was played
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: was i wrong to let go??:
    i acutally dont hate the raise pre, altho it cud be a bit bigger and you need to consider how weak/tight players behind you are as u dont really want to be oop this raise to find out where u are is disgusting...you raise for value or you raise to bluff. this flop doesnt get much better for u after ur raise pre but by raising that flop you will generally fold out worse unless he a maniac with 56 which i think u can discount as he cold flats from the bb you should be flatting his donk to re-evaulate the turn and play some poker!....you need to put him on a range of hands down the streets, donking out is quite likely to be a mid pp like 55-TT...some of the time i guess he does this with a set but its a pretty dry board so unlikely...doesnt sound like you have any reads on villain so if he continues to show strength on the turn its a tough call depending on the card as he was still donking in 3 players so its unlikely to be a bluff
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    i agree, but..... somtimes i would bet for info here if i was vilian x,  YES I REALLY SAID THAT, because i have relative position i would donk out small then i get to see what the OP does and the players behind obviously this would be for the sole purpose of running a bluff at some point in the hand