You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was this wrong

2»

Comments

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: abuse for calling this:
    Shoving with any two is not as bad as some might think - it takes a very big hand to call. It's not a quality shove, but shoving beats calling all day. The Call? Don't quite know what to say! It's a bad a call as you will ever see, anywhere, it's woefully bad I'm afraid.Just my opinion, & you did ask. I'd rather shove with 2-3 than make that call with A-Q. It offends every DYM "rule". Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the abuse. There is never any reason to abuse anyone at a poker Table. Anyone who does needs to get back to School. Junior School. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    later it's fine, at this stage it's terrible when people call you with AQ.

I think that's the strongest opinion i've ever heard from you TK on strategy... it just made me lol but is obvs very true.
  • ckdckd
    edited December 2010
    Shoving with any two is not as bad as some might think - it takes a very big hand to call. It's not a quality shove, but shoving beats calling all day. The Call? Don't quite know what to say! It's a bad a call as you will ever see, anywhere, it's woefully bad I'm afraid. Just my opinion, & you did ask. I'd rather shove with 2-3 than make that call with A-Q. It offends every DYM "rule". Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the abuse. There is never any reason to abuse anyone at a poker Table. Anyone who does needs to get back to School. Junior School. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    ty for your opinion

you say its a bad call but does it not matter what you put the other player on/ the table image

i myself cant see a prob with it...... i see people pushing with aj kq kj k10 a10 all the time in these...this is why i cant see the prob with it..... i know the point in dym is to get top 3 so not to go crazy but also to me you cant sit there waiting for aa kk all the time......surly it does count on the table your on and the players you have or am i wrong again....... thanks for any help
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: abuse for calling this : ty for your opinion you say its a bad call but does it not matter what you put the other player on/ the table image i myself cant see a prob with it...... i see people pushing with aj kq kj k10 a10 all the time in these...this is why i cant see the prob with it..... i know the point in dym is to get top 3 so not to go crazy but also to me you cant sit there waiting for aa kk all the time......surly it does count on the table your on and the players you have or am i wrong again....... thanks for any help
    Posted by ckd
    Yeah, You're wrong again. :)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: abuse for calling this : ty for your opinion you say its a bad call but does it not matter what you put the other player on/ the table image i myself cant see a prob with it...... i see people pushing with aj kq kj k10 a10 all the time in these...this is why i cant see the prob with it..... i know the point in dym is to get top 3 so not to go crazy but also to me you cant sit there waiting for aa kk all the time......surly it does count on the table your on and the players you have or am i wrong again....... thanks for any help
    Posted by ckd
    Assign your opponent a range of possible holdings, calculate your equity against them. Considering you need to win 55% of most dyms to break even then you are looking to get your money in as at least a 55% favourite. However, if you factor in that you are not guaranteed to cash even if you double up then getting your money in less than a 70% favourite in the early stages is really not good.
  • edited December 2010
    Shoving with any two is not as bad as some might think - it takes a very big hand to call. It's not a quality shove, but shoving beats calling all day. The Call? Don't quite know what to say! It's a bad a call as you will ever see, anywhere, it's woefully bad I'm afraid. Just my opinion, & you did ask. I'd rather shove with 2-3 than make that call with A-Q. It offends every DYM "rule". Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the abuse. There is never any reason to abuse anyone at a poker Table. Anyone who does needs to get back to School. Junior School. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    I dissagree with you here tikay. Yes your right that shoving is better than calling, but its only good to shove with small pairs when there are no large raises in play. To shove with a small pair when a player before you has raised 6 times the big blind is silly.
  • edited December 2010
    I just put this hand into an ICM calculator for you and it suggests that you can call if you believe your opponent is shoving 42% or more of all hands (note that this includes hands such as J-10, Q8 and K2 etc).

HOWEVER, I do not believe this to be appropriate strategy in a DYM. ICM has numerous limitations, the most notable being that it cannot account for skill edges. I agree 100% with what has been said above and I would snap fold this if I believed my opponent to be shoving 100% of hands/ATC.

As you say you still cannot see the problem maybe it will help to think about it in terms of equity. When the first hand is dealt in a £5 (ignore rake) DYM everyone'e equity (how much of the prizepool is 'there's' or, they can 'expect' to win) is £5 (hopefully this is clear as you all have exactly the same amount of chips.) However, if you double up the first hand and increase your chip count to 4000, your equity DOES NOT double to £10 as there is 'equity leakage'. In this example your equity only increases to £8 and everyone elses at the table increases to £5.50 (roughly).

So, if you take a flip at the beginning of a DYM and lose you lose your whole £5 equity whereas if you win and double your chip count you do not get a full double up in equity. In other words, when you flip (or otherwise 'gamble') at the beginning of a DYM (or other sit and go) the only winners in the long term are the 4 people at the table not involved in the hand.

JC
  • ckdckd
    edited December 2010

ty all for your insight on this

take it into account next time

ty all
  • edited December 2010
    Hey ckd

The reason I suggested reporting this incident is that, this player may keep getting away with this kind of behaviour if no action is taken against her/him they will continue, I am aware there are players on the site who dont like being abused/swearing.

Many thanks

Sky Mod
  • edited December 2010
    Hey ckd The reason I suggested reporting this incident is that, this player may keep getting away with this kind of behaviour if no action is taken against her/him they will continue, I am aware there are players on the site who dont like being abused/swearing. Many thanks Sky Mod
    Posted by Sky_Mod4
    Hi Mod...I have however reported a certain person a min of 4 times now and they still carry on the same and have their chat so what's the point?
  • ckdckd
    edited December 2010
    Hey ckd The reason I suggested reporting this incident is that, this player may keep getting away with this kind of behaviour if no action is taken against her/him they will continue, I am aware there are players on the site who dont like being abused/swearing. Many thanks Sky Mod
    Posted by Sky_Mod4
    hey mate

no prob i just dont like reporting people.....just them letting of steam like but know what your saying
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: abuse for calling this : Hi Mod...I have however reported a certain person a min of 4 times now and they still carry on the same and have their chat so what's the point?
    Posted by BananaDog
    Hi BananaDog

Sorry to hear you have had trouble on the tables, I have forwarded this post on for you.

Many thanks

Sky Mod

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: abuse for calling this : I dissagree with you here tikay. Yes your right that shoving is better than calling, but its only good to shove with small pairs when there are no large raises in play. To shove with a small pair when a player before you has raised 6 times the big blind is silly.
    Posted by loonytoons
    It may well be silly, but that misses the point.

We cannot control what "silly" things others might do. We can only control what we do.

No matter how silly it may have been to make that move with 3-3, CALLING with A-Q (at that juncture) was far worse. FAR worse. IMHO, that is.

But the point of the thread was about abuse. There is no justification for the abuse.
  • edited December 2010
    Posted by ckd

No, it does not matter one iota "what you put your oppo on", because, even if your name is Tom Dwan, "putting your oppo on a hand" is pure guesswork.  Oppo might be a complete novice, or even a fool, but there's no reason he can't have a monsta, either.

It is Basic, O Level Poker. We can shove with junk, we need a hand to call. If you have forgotten that basic premis of poker, it will cost you a bunch of money over time.

There is no need whatsoever to even consider making THAT call at THAT stage with THAT hand.  You are beating very little, & in most cases, flipping.

Why flip at that stage? - just take the easy pots the easy way. Better to sit out early doors & let the LAGS & Stations do the work for us.

It is a truly horrendous Call, & I know for a fact that you are a far better player than that. If he wants to jam with junk, let him. We only need to be ahead on the winning line. And he'll long be toast by then.

I sense ego is involved here, you did not like him firing back at you. Well what matters is finishing top three, nothing else. If he wants to play daft, let him, don't lewt him drag you down to his standard.
  • ckdckd
    edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: abuse for calling this : No, it does not matter one iota "what you put your oppo on", because, even if your name is Tom Dwan, "putting your oppo on a hand" is pure guesswork.  Oppo might be a complete novice, or even a fool, but there's no reason he can't have a monsta, either. It is Basic, O Level Poker. We can shove with junk, we need a hand to call. If you have forgotten that basic premis of poker, it will cost you a bunch of money over time. There is no need whatsoever to even consider making THAT call at THAT stage with THAT hand.  You are beating very little, & in most cases, flipping. Why flip at that stage? - just take the easy pots the easy way. Better to sit out early doors & let the LAGS & Stations do the work for us. It is a truly horrendous Call, & I know for a fact that you are a far better player than that. If he wants to jam with junk, let him. We only need to be ahead on the winning line. And he'll long be toast by then. I sense ego is involved here, you did not like him firing back at you. Well what matters is finishing top three, nothing else. If he wants to play daft, let him, don't lewt him drag you down to his standard.
    Posted by Tikay10
    thanks for the reply

i see what your saying.... my game has alot to go i know and to be truefull i just play what i get dont think about anything like what level and dont know anything about possistion and that sort of stuff i just tend to play
    i can see where i go wrong and thats one of the things ill have to think about whilst away to try and improve
    thanks for your imput in it and every1 else as well just got to take it on board now and try to keep it going
    thanks
  • edited December 2010

Good man CKD.

Remember something called "The Gap". The Gap is very simple.

If someone bets into you, or jams, we cannot be sure what they have. So we assess their range, & then "add a gap" to allow for error.

If we think he might bet with 6-6, we CANNOT call with 7-7 - we need, say, 10-10 or better to Call or re-raise.

In this case, even if you were a genius, & accurately assessed him as having 3-3 - there is not an adequate "gap - in fact there is a NEGATIVE gap, because you are behind. (Nobody would ever consider calling to flip at 15-30).

Now REVERSE the logic. We can push with very weak holdings, because they can't call.

It's the # 1 rule of poker. 

In the spot you were in, be the bettor not the caller.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: was this wrong:
    Good man CKD. Remember something called "The Gap". The Gap is very simple. If someone bets into you, or jams, we cannot be sure what they have. So we assess their range, & then "add a gap" to allow for error.   If we think he might bet with 6-6, we CANNOT call with 7-7 - we need, say, 10-10 or better to Call or re-raise. In this case, even if you were a genius, & accurately assessed him as having 3-3 - there is not an adequate "gap - in fact there is a NEGATIVE gap, because you are behind. (Nobody would ever consider calling to flip at 15-30). Now REVERSE the logic. We can push with very weak holdings, because they can't call . It's the # 1 rule of poker.  In the spot you were in, be the bettor not the caller.
    Posted by Tikay10

Words of wisdom with just one caveat ......... comparative chip-stacks ......... Oh!  and alcohol

• ckdckd
    edited December 2010
    Good man CKD. Remember something called "The Gap". The Gap is very simple. If someone bets into you, or jams, we cannot be sure what they have. So we assess their range, & then "add a gap" to allow for error.   If we think he might bet with 6-6, we CANNOT call with 7-7 - we need, say, 10-10 or better to Call or re-raise. In this case, even if you were a genius, & accurately assessed him as having 3-3 - there is not an adequate "gap - in fact there is a NEGATIVE gap, because you are behind. (Nobody would ever consider calling to flip at 15-30). Now REVERSE the logic. We can push with very weak holdings, because they can't call . It's the # 1 rule of poker.  In the spot you were in, be the bettor not the caller.
    Posted by Tikay10
    cheers mate

ill put this to use
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: abuse for calling this : Hi Mod...I have however reported a certain person a min of 4 times now and they still carry on the same and have their chat so what's the point?
    Posted by BananaDog
    Hi BananaDog

I have got a reply back, they suggested you to keep reporting these incidents to Customer Care.

I hope you do not get any further problems.

Thank you

Sky Mod
  • edited December 2010
    ta Moddy! *throws a snowball at customer care team*
    ;)
  • edited December 2010
    ta Moddy! *throws a snowball at customer care team* ;)
    Posted by BananaDog
    *DB sees snowball flying and think hmmm tasty chaces after it - BD is no long allowed near sky offices - the customer card team all had a nasty fall onto ice*