You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£5 BH MTT, AJ early position with difficult stack size

NHNH
edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Your thoughts please on this hand from a £5 BH tourney a couple of nights ago. I had lost a ton of chips a couple of orbits earlier with a flopped set vs a rivered straight and had played tight since.

t-dog250Small blind 25.0025.001420.00darkstar30Big blind 50.0075.002590.00 Your hole cardsJA   CAFUFold    botsupFold    NHRaise 125.00200.00715.00BUDDHABACKFold    t-dog250Call 100.00300.001320.00darkstar30Fold    Flop  1073   t-dog250Check    NHBet 150.00450.00565.00t-dog250Raise 300.00750.001020.00NHAll-in 565.001315.000.00

I get AJ early position. I think my stack size is too big to open shove at 25/50 and I don't like my options if I get flatted or re-raised. 

Even though its early and stand a pretty good chance of getting flat called by someone who has position on me I opt to raise it 2.5x, a raise size I am comfortable with usually later on in tourneys, but will give me a little more room in my stack to play after the flop. Although I can't remember any reads, scanning through the HHs my opponent has been calling a lot preflop.

I miss, stick out a cbet, feeling I am going to get bet off the hand if I check, and get min-raised(!?!?). 

I think a good % of the time here he is full of it, and when he has got something a high % of his range is top pair. I think an overpair to 10s would usually reraise plus as I have an A and J it reduces the changes of AA or JJ being out there. I also think that there is a good chance TT or 77 may reraise me preflop. 

So even though I have very little fold equity in my stack I reship him on the flop. I think I probably have the best hand or a chance to get him to fold about a 1/3 of the time, or I'm up against TP with suckout chances and very slight chance of being completley crushed by 2 pair or a set.

Comments

• edited December 2010
     "I think my stack size is too big to open shove at 25/50"

I disagree with this, it's an easy open shove on this site, with that stack, in this format.

You will get called alot with any ace, any suited king, any 2 picture cards and sometimes just literally any 2 cards.

• edited December 2010
    I don't mind an open shove pre.

• NHNH
    edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: £5 BH MTT, AJ early position with difficult stack size:
     "I think my stack size is too big to open shove at 25/50 " I disagree with this, it's an easy open shove on this site, with that stack, in this format. You will get called alot with any ace, any suited king, any 2 picture cards and sometimes just literally any 2 cards.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    True, I wasn't considering the format
  • edited December 2010
    doesnt matter the format with ur stack size thats an instant shove pre!
  • edited December 2010
    With 14BB and AJ your main weapon is fold equity, so you should either shove or fold here.

I don't like AJ much, it looks a lot better than it is, if you get called you're probably behind or flipping. AJ and AT are frequent bust out hands for me, I might lean towards the fold here.
  • edited December 2010
    the problem is on sky alot of people are going to be minraising here with 67 and his process is going to be something like this.
    'im gonna minraise here to find out where i am and ask the question'
    'oh he answered my question i must be beat'
    'lol pot odds - call'
    'i knew he was bluffing'
  • edited December 2010
    There's 3 key words in your opening statement - BOUNTY HUNTER TOURNEY

I'll happily open shove here. As JJ said, being a BH you're likely to get called with worse then AJ & if you don't get called then at least you've got the rent for the next orbit.

As played I think if you're gonna continue in the hand then you've got to shove the flop.