You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what hands should I play out of position?.

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Been going over my stats on 4nl and seem to be seeing a lot of flops out of position.  I'm not playing 'any two' but am wondering if I'm overvaluing holds 'out of pos'!

I seem to get QJ, JT, KT and AT utg but these hands never seems to pay off as it's hard to play them unless you flop the nuts!

Should I be chucking these hands from this position (are they worth playing in position?) as I think this could be where I'm leaking chips!

I think they are danagerous cards as even hitting 2 pair with these others others the strt opportunity and as we know, it's hard to get players off a gut shot on 4nl!

Really want to tighten my game on cash so what % average should I be playing over an 1hour 30min stint at the table?

I think I've been drawn into the stations play of playing these connectors as I seem to do my stack against them (Had pocket Qs, tripped on flop yet he flopped K strt with J9 in his hand).  I've even lost to players I class as tight 4nl when they've done my two pair Ks & Qs with a JT strt.

Gonna try and get back to tightening up my game and hopefully will get this chip leak sorted.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    i think you have answerd your own question

J 10, QJ, KJ, etc are not great to open utg or early position as they are easily dominated (reverse implied odds)
    you want to be opening the top of your range in early position (any pair, ak aq,) and loosen up as you get nearer the button,

you must of heard this loads of time but i cant stress enough how important position is in this game
  • edited December 2010
    It actually depends a lot on YOU. There are some people who can get away with opening much wider in early position because they're adept post flop, and others can't get away with it because they end up playing poorly and giving more chips away the looser they play. As for what % of hands you should be playing at a 6max table, it varies a lot. Winning players probably play somewhere between 16% and 30% of hands in my experience, the vast majority of those hands they're coming in for a raise or reraising preflop. When I started poker I was playing about 14% of hands and nowadays I'm playing about 30-32% of hands, and have only had a couple of losing months in 4.5 years of play. In your situation, as a beginning player without too much post flop experience I'd suggest you play on the tighter side of that range, 16% of hands or even lower until you have more experience and then open your game up as you climb through the limits. Also regardless of how tight or loose you play overall, you should certainly be playing more hands on the button and cut off than under the gun or on the hi jack.