You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

could u put him on this hand?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
this is a little mad i did my best to get people to drop and this happened what a car crash for me he had 50p invested thats it can not understand the call at all 
king234 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £38.33
chefboy79 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £29.50
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

xx Call  £0.50 £1.25 £49.85
paddyb23 Raise  £2.50 £3.75 £2.47
ChipsOTool Fold     
king234 Call  £2.25 £6.00 £36.08
chefboy79 Raise  £6.00 £12.00 £23.50
xx Call  £6.00 £18.00 £43.85
paddyb23 All-in  £2.47 £20.47 £0.00
king234 Call  £4.00 £24.47 £32.08
Flop

king234 Check     
chefboy79 Bet  £12.24 £36.71 £11.26
xx Call  £12.24 £48.95 £31.61
king234 Fold     
Turn

• J

chefboy79 All-in  £11.26 £60.21 £0.00
xx Call  £11.26 £71.47 £20.35
chefboy79 Show
  • A
  • J

xx Show
  • Q

paddyb23 Show
  • K

River

xx Win Three 9s £69.67

Comments

• edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    This level is above my stakes but fwiw here's what I think.

If you're gonna 3 bet OOP with AJ then it needs to be bigger than £6 imo. You don't mention anything about how xx had been playing but I think it's fairly safe for me to assume he'd been playing loose with the limp/call UTG with Q9. With that in mind IF I'm 3 betting here then I'm probably making it around £11-£12. Having said that, if it were me I'd probably just fold AJ here cos you've seen a limp UTG followed by a raise & a call. You've got to act before the original UTG limper so what do you do if he shoves here?

As played he's obviously never folding that flop. The other thing that doesn't help you is your stack. By the time you even get to the flop you've barely got a pot sized bet left & even if he hasn't hit as hard as he did, if he's remotely got any part of it he's probably not letting go. Always buy in for the full amount. If you'd had the full amount here you might have taken him off the hand pre?
  • edited December 2010
    if we 3bet to £11-12 preflop thats half our stack , if you are going to make it that huge just shove pre

the sizing preflop is fine if you have a 100bb stack but you dont and tbh i dont know what the best 3bet sizing is for halfstacks
  • edited December 2010

I think 3betting pre is ok given the very loose UTG limper, a committing raise by a 10 big blind stack and just a flat call by someone else who isn't full stacked and likely not v good, thus is probably weak also. I think it needs to be a tad bigger than you made it, maybe like £7 or something, you're not really trying to price out the UTG raiser but more so the BTN caller, £6 obviously should've got the job done with the UTG guy but alas people don't like folding.

As for the flop I think you only have 3 options, and I don't think half potting is one of them.

1) Go all-in: You only have a pot sized bet left on the flop, you're ahead of UTG's preflop range, you're ahead of the 10 big blind shover's preflop range and ahead of the BTN's preflop range too given he just flat called the 10bb's committing open. The flop, being 996r is unlikely to change any of this, they're not often going to have made trip 9s or flopped a 6, infact, they shouldn't have many hands that contain a 6 or a 9 in the first place given the preflop betting, bet certainly if you had made it £7 instead of £6 I think this would've been even more the case. By shoving you maximise fold equity, and hope to get the hand heads up against the 10bb's hand which you're ahead of most of the time. You may even get one of the 2 players with money behind to fold a hand better than yours given that you're betting into 2 people + a 3rd player who is already all in. It's a flop that's unlikely to have hit their likely range of hands and if you do get called by a hand like 88 you still have 6 outs. Stack sizes make it very difficult to halfpot/fold given you'd likely have 6 outs against 6x, 77, 88, TT, and more than that vs 22-55 and be getting the right price to call if you have 6 or more outs live, and if you're going to halfpot/call a shove, mayaswell just shove it yourself and maximise fold equity. If you're going to halfpot and fold to a shove, mayaswell:

2) Bet smaller: By betting say, 1/3rd or 1/4th of the pot you price yourself out when they shove, allowing you comfortably fold if they shove the flop knowing you're not getting a good enough price to call against hands like 6x, 77, 88, TT, whereas when you halfpot a call would be about breakeven with 6 outs against those hands and more against pairs below a 6. They're very unlikely to read your bet size as weakness and shove a bluff due to the fact that it's 3 way to the flop and there's a guy all in for his 10 big blinds which gives your bet protection as there's less for them to gain when they bluff as they're going to have to show down their hand against the guy who is all in anyway. The main weakness compared to a shove is that you have less fold equity, given the better odds, they're probably never folding 22-55 or any 6 which they may sometimes do against a flop shove given the nature of the situation, though I'm sure the UTG player wouldn't fold any made hand regardless judging by his preflop play in this hand, which is an argument for betting less if it's getting the same job done as a shove, but a shove might be more effective vs the BTN if he's more capable of making a fold. You do have less fold equity vs weak draws by betting small, but they may decide to just check it down if they call flop and miss anyway given that there's a player all in and won't be all that much money in the side pot for them to bluff at.

3) Check: You could try to check it down if you thought the players' preflop ranges are tighter than they appear to be in this case because if that was the case someone would be more likely to have a pocket pair that they're not folding and less complete misses like JT or whatever else that UTG can clearly have that would be forced to fold to any bet. You do have showdown value with AJ high and they're unliekly to bluff given the fact there's a player all in and there's not too much money in the side pot for them to bluff at.

I think in the moment I'd likely just open shove the flop given there's just a pot sized bet left and everyone's range appears to be wide giving you a lot of fold equity as they will be missing a 996r flop the vast majority of the time and you have some equity if called by a 6 or some pocket pair. I don't blame you too much for what you did but I don't think a half pot bet really makes sense as you're pretty much committed if they go all in on the flop and a smaller bet, of say, 1/3rd pot will carry pretty much the exact same fold equity as a half pot bet but allow you to more easily get away from your hand facing a flop shove. This is all kind of redundant given that he just flat called your flop bet instead of raising it, but you have to prepare for all situations and I think a 1/3rd pot bet is a lot better than a 1/2 pot bet. Anyway as played you're clearly shoving the J turn, you have like no money left and you're just unlucky if he made bad preflop call and flopped a 9.