You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Satellite help

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
OK just one thing i have a problem with - is satellites. I can do resonable in most MTTs and bar coolers/bad beat or im just having an off day i can usually run deep and at worst cash. So i want to have a pop at the better and bigger tournaments.

Now because i tilt on cash tables my BR is a little weak, which makes it a little harder.

Can anyone offer advice on playing in satellites, i just can get through one.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    play normally until it gets close to the bubble and then it all depends on your stack size. just remember that
    1st -Xth (where X is number of people who get a seat) is exactly the same, so you do not want to be getting all the money in with medium-big stacks vs other big stacks when there are shorties around, even with AA.KK,AK etc you should be folding preflop if a big stack open jams on the bubble and you also have a big stack
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Satellite help:
    play normally until it gets close to the bubble and then it all depends on your stack size. just remember that 1st -Xth (where X is number of people who get a seat) is exactly the same, so you do not want to be getting all the money in with medium-big stacks vs other big stacks when there are shorties around, even with AA.KK,AK etc you should be folding preflop if a big stack open jams on the bubble and you also have a big stack
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    ty mate - althought my problem is range seems to be completely diffferent to that of a normal mtt. Everyone is looser/more aggro,

Maybe im just not adapting aswell as i should

Also since u where on my table in TSP classic yesterday, would u mind commenting on how i played (before my stack went unplayable)
  • edited December 2010

Don,

Satellite strategy is a similar strategy to a dym. You are only trying to finish the top percentage. You do not have to win!

Play tight. Pick your spots as the blinds go up.

Only risk your stack when its absolutely necessary.

Survival is the key.

Obv depends on structure and what the sat is for.

• edited December 2010
    Maybe you're just running bad in them, in my experience they're quite soft. Sats are much better value than buying in direct, that's why I always use sats for any tournament that costs £10 or over. Play tight but aggresive, nothing fancy and you should be OK, Greg's advice above is very good. I never see any of the strong tournament regulars who play at the same time as me in sats, I don't know why cos it would save them loads of money, the fields usually contain quite a few assorted donks who'll happily give you their whole stack with top pair.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe you're just running bad in them, in my experience they're quite soft. Sats are much better value than buying in direct, that's why I always use sats for any tournament that costs £10 or over. Play tight but aggresive, nothing fancy and you should be OK, Greg's advice above is very good. I never see any of the strong tournament regulars who play at the same time as me in sats, I don't know why cos it would save them loads of money, the fields usually contain quite a few assorted donks who'll happily give you their whole stack with top pair.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Maybe your right

Ive looked at my last 3 exits.

First we have

Me SB v BB

i have 55

346 flop

all in

he has 33

turn 7

river 7.

Second one very similar actually

SB v BB

77 v 33

flop 346

turn 5

river 4

Last one

88 v A10 v QJ

Flop KQ8

turn 5

river J

all of these where early blind levels, but as hoggers states i was playing tight not finding any spots bar these.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Satellite help : ty mate - althought my problem is range seems to be completely diffferent to that of a normal mtt. Everyone is looser/more aggro, Maybe im just not adapting aswell as i should Also since u where on my table in TSP classic yesterday, would u mind commenting on how i played (before my stack went unplayable)
    Posted by The_Don90

i was playing 12 tables so i wasnt really paying attention as i myself was a shorties so was just looking at what cards/position  i was in
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Satellite help : i was playing 12 tables so i wasnt really paying attention as i myself was a shorties so was just looking at what cards/position  i was in
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    ty m8 anyways - yea i think it was a very odd table. Me you ozzie08 and fins and not one of us had a stack. Was a battle of balls. I lost lol.
  • edited December 2010

Play tight, then push pre when you get close to winning a seat, couple of doubles up later your sorted :)

• edited December 2010
     One of the main thing when approaching the bubble of a satellite is targetting.  The people you want to target are the middle stacks.Shorties are looking for a double up and will call as will the really large stacks. But the middle stacks are the ones who will fold all but premium hands because they know that they can just fold their way into the qualifying spots. This means that their blinds are much easier to steal and are a good way of increasing your stack.

early on people are trying to quickly build themselves a stack and will play quite loose so for at least the first two levels i would suggest playing ultranitty because you can only lose at this point.Then it is just a case of moving through the gears and picking your spots in the all important jockeying for position middle stages of the tourny.
  • edited December 2010
    I LOVE YOU ALL - Thanks to some pretty sound advice, a good table and 2BB i have qualified for tonights primo.
  • edited December 2010
    I LOVE YOU ALL - Thanks to some pretty sound advice, a good table and 2BB i have qualified for tonights primo.
    Posted by The_Don90
    wd Don, more than i managed..

gl tonight mate, btw im on my usual 10% if you win it right?:)
  • edited December 2010
    Posted by The_Don90
    Well Done Don! Good Luck for tonight mate.. I may see you later on tonight :)
  • edited December 2010
    Nice one, good luck Don.
  • edited December 2010
    OK after making the semi for the double stack heres my exit hand.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    nige44 Small blind  200.00 200.00 3475.00
    wombles Big blind  400.00 600.00 50.00
      Your hole cards

aj247 Raise  800.00 1400.00 4040.00
    The_Don90 All-in  3780.00 5180.00 0.00
    mickgil75 Fold     
    youghalboy Fold     
    nige44 Fold     
    wombles All-in  50.00 5230.00 0.00
    aj247 Call  2980.00 8210.00 1060.00
    wombles Show

aj247 Show
    • J
    • K

The_Don90 Show

Flop

• A

Turn

River

• A

aj247 Win Flush to the Ace 8210.00  9270.00

Also one from earlier in the sat that hurt me - although i did recover this.
    aj247 Small blind  40.00 40.00 1860.00
    The_Don90 Big blind  80.00 120.00 2365.00
      Your hole cards

mickgil75 Fold     
    dale133 Fold     
    2776reed06 Fold     
    PaulC25 Fold     
    aj247 Call  40.00 160.00 1820.00
    The_Don90 Check     
    Flop

aj247 Check     
    The_Don90 Bet  120.00 280.00 2245.00
    aj247 Raise  240.00 520.00 1580.00
    The_Don90 Raise  600.00 1120.00 1645.00
    aj247 Raise  960.00 2080.00 620.00
    The_Don90 All-in  1645.00 3725.00 0.00
    aj247 All-in  620.00 4345.00 0.00
    The_Don90 Unmatched bet  545.00 3800.00 545.00
    aj247 Show
    • J

The_Don90 Show

Turn

• K

River

aj247 Win Three 4s 3800.00  3800.00
    I suspect these are just standard - although should i be playing these differently?
  • edited December 2010
    Not really mate, tough spot on the first one, with it being a coin flip, but you got your money in well so no problems there.

Second hand if you think aj has limped into a few pots you probably could of squeezed here, but always nice to see a flop with suited connectors.

Unlucky bud
  • edited December 2010
    Basically, just fold. Then go all in, then fold alot more. ez 
  • edited December 2010
    Basically, just fold. Then go all in, then fold alot more. ez 
    Posted by beaneh
    _mango_ Small blind   500.00 500.00 9080.00
    dewy30 Big blind   1000.00 1500.00 12059.36
      Your hole cards

THEJMAN1 Fold