You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I have folded so easily?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
OnTiltSS Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.12
danpar Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.16
  Your hole cards

SWAZI Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £1.19
FatBoy89 Raise  £0.20 £0.34 £0.94
freddy0909 Fold     
OnTiltSS Fold     
danpar Call  £0.16 £0.50 £4.00
SWAZI Call  £0.12 £0.62 £1.07
Flop

• A
  • Q

danpar Check     
SWAZI Bet  £0.16 £0.78 £0.91
FatBoy89 Fold     
danpar Call  £0.16 £0.94 £3.84
Turn

danpar Check     
SWAZI Bet  £0.20 £1.14 £0.71
danpar Call  £0.20 £1.34 £3.64
River

danpar Check     
SWAZI Check     
danpar Show
  • Q

SWAZI Show
  • K
  • Q

SWAZI Win Pair of Queens £1.23  £1.94

I raised with my 10s and flop came down 2 high cards. If i was first to bet i probably would have continuation bet.
  Should i have raised on the flop after the initial bet? or call then raise on the turn if i see checks? or was my fold good. thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Seeing that flop against 2 opponents, id have folded, remember there are 2 overcards, maybe your raise preflop was a bit low at these stakes, they always gonna get a couple of callers for 16p, on another point i only ever play 2p/4p tables with £4, looking at your stack players will always take a gamble at these stakes against you if you have low money.
  • edited December 2010
    You played it perfectly fine imo

Forget the fact that your card hit on the river, you were behind when you correctly folded. There is no point bluffing at 4nl so raising the flop would be redic bad, as would just flat calling.

That is a bad board for 10s and when the utg player bets out you are left with no option but to fold imo, especially with a player behind.
  • edited December 2010
    I agree the bluffs don't work, i'v tried and failed on numerous occasions.

But if you can't bluff in 4nl in a situation like this, believing the min donk bet to be a queen or a weak ace, then where do you find an edge to beat the level?

Can you beat the rake with no frills / no mistakes ABC poker?

Don't having position and raising to take control of the pot, rather than limping, lose alot of purpose if your not looking for spots to take it away from people?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Should I have folded so easily?:
    I agree the bluffs don't work, i'v tried and failed on numerous occasions. But if you can't bluff in 4nl in a situation like this, believing the min donk bet to be a queen or a weak ace, 1. then where do you find an edge to beat the level? 2. Can you beat the rake with no frills / no mistakes ABC poker? Don't having position and raising to take control of the pot, rather than limping, lose alot of purpose if your not looking for spots to take it away from people?
    Posted by RedHouse
    1. By getting maximum value from your monster hands, and by folding in spots like this.

2. Yes!
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Should I have folded so easily? : 1. By getting maximum value from your monster hands, and by folding in spots like this. 2. Yes!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I was afraid you might say that. Its just so boring at times :(

But an inevitable part of the learning curve I guess, don't run before you can walk (or sit up straight in my case)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Should I have folded so easily? : I was afraid you might say that. Its just so boring at times :( But an inevitable part of the learning curve I guess, don't run before you can walk (or sit up straight in my case)
    Posted by RedHouse
    If you are playing to make money then it can be very boring. If you are just playing for fun then go crazy, do what you enjoy, play every hand if you fancy it.